what does the foam sleeve do on a wet dry vac?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok I bought a 16 gallon craftsman wet/dry vac and it has a foam sleeve that goes over the filter. I can't get it to go over the filter. Also i'm not sure when to use it. Is it just a pre filter that makes the paper filter last longer?

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Isn't that what you use when sucking up water? The regular filter is for dry stuff

I think you take the filter off completely i'm not sure. I can't find the owners manual at the moment.

In the models I've used, while wet vacuuming the foam filter floats on top of the water. When it is sucked up against the outlet, it both signals that the reservoir is full and protects the electric motor from ingesting water.

Yea remove the paper filter and used the foam one when sucking up water. Dry stuff use paper.

Originally Posted By: Jimzz
Yea remove the paper filter and used the foam one when sucking up water. Dry stuff use paper.

+1. The plastic hollow ball floats on the wet stuff you vacuum up and blocks airflow out the vacuum when the canister is full.

Isn't that what you use when sucking up water? The regular filter is for dry stuff

This.

You generally use the foam sleeve (with no filter, just the sleeve) when you're sucking up water. It prevents you from accidentally sucking up a sizable piece of debris with the water and then having that sucked into the motor, I think.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666

This.

You generally use the foam sleeve (with no filter, just the sleeve) when you're sucking up water. It prevents you from accidentally sucking up a sizable piece of debris with the water and then having that sucked into the motor, I think.

Ok so do you put the foam filter over the paper filter when using it as a dry vac?

No.

Dry vacuuming is cartridge filter only.

Wet vacuuming is foam filter only.

I don't know if this is your exact vacuum, but many of the manuals are available on the site for the item. It's all explained in the manual here:
http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-xsp-1...mp;blockType=G2

Side note,
Some better-equipped vacs come with synthetic media filters that won't be destroyed by getting them wet. They still aren't great if you're picking up lots of water, but if you need to pick up wet debris, they work well.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
No.

Dry vacuuming is cartridge filter only.

Wet vacuuming is foam filter only.

I don't know if this is your exact vacuum, but many of the manuals are available on the site for the item. It's all explained in the manual here:
http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-xsp-1...mp;blockType=G2

Side note,
Some better-equipped vacs come with synthetic media filters that won't be destroyed by getting them wet. They still aren't great if you're picking up lots of water, but if you need to pick up wet debris, they work well.

ok thanks. Yes that's my vacum. I didn't realize they had owners manuals on the site. Thanks so much. Looks like the cartridge element pulls off and there is a cage with the float ball inside like normal. I didn't see that cage on mine so that's why I was all confused. lol Thanks for the help.

On my 5 gal. shop vac, directions say if dry vacuuming, put foam filter on and cover with cloth cover. If wet vacuuming, take cloth cover off and use foam filter only. If dry vacuuming something like dry wall dust, and you don't use the foam filter, then I think you get a lot of dust blowing through and coming out the exhaust part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back