Opinions Wanted: Sherwin-Williams Paint

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: spasm3
Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
Thanks. Since no one had particularly anything bad to say about S-W, I'm going to go with S-W. Real close by and I have coupons.

Wife will change her mind in a couple months about something and I'll have to re-paint anyway. If I don't like the S-W, I'll buy something else.

I have used S-W in the past and have found that a gallon seems to go farther than, for example, Behr.

Now, if you are sure you are going to repaint this within a year or two, i'd buy much cheaper paint. Better paint is easier to clean etc. But i'd not spend $30 a gallon if its only going to be there a year or two. Heck i'd buy the cheapest if i knew i was going to redo it in a year or so, maybe even walmart paint.

I'd advise against that. Here's what 35+ years of painting professionally taught me. Cheaper paint is just that, most of the time it has a high clay content, and could pose problems down the road since it will be the weakest link in the chain. I've seen good paint fail because of a coat of lousy paint under it. I've also seen wall covering peel off in sheets, with the clay based paint stuck to the back of the paper, even after a so called wallpaper primer was applied. It's not worth it unless the someone is cleaning up a house to sell it, and doing it cheap is the primary goal.

We can argue that SW will last longer than Behr in terms of fading, but most people repaint after 10 years anyway, and Behr will go that long.

Think about who pays for the overhead of that boutique store, brochures, sales person, etc at SW and BM.

I've used a lot of Aurora from BM and the Behr paint/primer in one. They both have performed very similar in coverage with Behr coming it at a lower price point. My very good fireman buddy had a pro painting business as his "B" job until he passed unexpectedly earlier this year. He was a die hard BM fan. He painted my high ceiling (14ft entry way; 2 high for me) with Behr and was very surprised.....but he was a BM guy til death!

In my experience, paint quality is determined more by price point than by the name brand.

I won't even look at an interior flat for < $25/ gal. I have used store brands (Behr/Ace Hardware/DoItBest,etc) that have been excellent paints that have met my requirements. They have gone on well, held up for the desired interval of time, and have had good cleanability for the time that they were in use.

Not going to knock SW (I have used them before without issue) however they are not generally a good value unless there is a stout sale (the times that I have purchased I have had 40% coupons.) There are better values out there.

I get SW coupons regularly emailed to me. I wait for the 40% coupon and then buy my paint. I can then get their good/best paint for very close to Home Depot Behr prices. When you're painting off a ladder you want good paint. I painted the exterior of my house with Sherwin Williams Super Paint and Duration. All purchased with the 40% off coupon.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
SW paint is ok, nothing great though, IMO. I use BM paint because the customers are conditioned to ask for it. Lately some people have been requesting Behr paint, and I've used it. I can say in all honesty the HD Behr paint [top of the line premium paint] is better than the BM and SW paint, it is less costly too in most cases. Consumer reports speaks very highly of it as well. In fact I'd suggest you check it out on Consumer reports.

I'm pleasantly surprised that you give interior Behr premium paint the thumbs up. You are the second pro painter in 1 month that I have heard that from. In the past, my internet search of paint always had the pro painters show up with a HUGE chip on their shoulder against Behr paint. They say the ONLY place to buy paint is a dedicated paint store, not unlike people here preaching to buy outdoor power equipment at dealers vs. big box stores.

Thanks for your input.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
Thanks. Since no one had particularly anything bad to say about S-W, I'm going to go with S-W. Real close by and I have coupons.

Wife will change her mind in a couple months about something and I'll have to re-paint anyway. If I don't like the S-W, I'll buy something else.

I have used S-W in the past and have found that a gallon seems to go farther than, for example, Behr.

Now, if you are sure you are going to repaint this within a year or two, i'd buy much cheaper paint. Better paint is easier to clean etc. But i'd not spend $30 a gallon if its only going to be there a year or two. Heck i'd buy the cheapest if i knew i was going to redo it in a year or so, maybe even walmart paint.

I'd advise against that. Here's what 35+ years of painting professionally taught me. Cheaper paint is just that, most of the time it has a high clay content, and could pose problems down the road since it will be the weakest link in the chain. I've seen good paint fail because of a coat of lousy paint under it. I've also seen wall covering peel off in sheets, with the clay based paint stuck to the back of the paper, even after a so called wallpaper primer was applied. It's not worth it unless the someone is cleaning up a house to sell it, and doing it cheap is the primary goal.

If demarpaint suggests not to do this then i will retract my suggestion, as he knows what he is talking about. He has given me advice a a couple of occasions and its always spot on!! So forget the WM paint then!

FWIW I have hauled the latex base for Behr and Valspar and it is the same stuff. Not similar, but the same. It comes from a place called EPS in Williamsport, MD. Have heard that S/W uses this base also, but have never hauled to them. It's a big trade secret, but paint is basically the same. Get the best paint form any manufacturer you want.

We didn't find the same quality of coverage on drywall or plaster with Behr. We've been totally satisfied with Benjamin Moore, including the "Aura" no(ish)-VOC paint that we used when my wife was pregnant.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
We didn't find the same quality of coverage on drywall or plaster with Behr. We've been totally satisfied with Benjamin Moore, including the "Aura" no(ish)-VOC paint that we used when my wife was pregnant.

Did you use the Behr paint/primer in one?? That has been gr8 for me even on bare sheetrock. Other Behr's products have not faired well in my house. The paint/primer in one is the only one I would buy.

Meant to add, Auroa was as good as the Behr paint/primer in one. But a lot more expensive.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: doitmyself
SW paint is ok, nothing great though, IMO. I use BM paint because the customers are conditioned to ask for it. Lately some people have been requesting Behr paint, and I've used it. I can say in all honesty the HD Behr paint [top of the line premium paint] is better than the BM and SW paint, it is less costly too in most cases. Consumer reports speaks very highly of it as well. In fact I'd suggest you check it out on Consumer reports.

I'm pleasantly surprised that you give interior Behr premium paint the thumbs up. You are the second pro painter in 1 month that I have heard that from. In the past, my internet search of paint always had the pro painters show up with a HUGE chip on their shoulder against Behr paint. They say the ONLY place to buy paint is a dedicated paint store, not unlike people here preaching to buy outdoor power equipment at dealers vs. big box stores.

Thanks for your input.

You're welcome. I look at it with an open mind. For many years I worked closely with BM, SWP, Muralo, Zinsser, California, and a few other paint mfgs. I tested various primers and paints and give them my feedback and recommendations as a professional painter and past President of two trade associations. I also did my fair share of trouble shooting paint and wall covering failures for different mfgs. I know what works, what doesn't work, and why.

I hate the idea of waiting at HD for paint, and like to support the local paint supplier. However when a customer requests Behr paint I use it. In doing so I discovered it was a lot better than what I was lead to believe, and I could save a few dollars over the BM or SWP equivalent. I give the customer what they want as long as it is a premium grade product.

As a side note. I'm still from the school of thought that a dedicated primer should be used for new drywall and trim, and a good topcoat applied over it. The self priming paints are good, but nothing beats a primer and two finish coats of paint for new work. Especially if you ever decide that you'd like to hang wallpaper at some later date.

Originally Posted By: BISCUT
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Did you use the Behr paint/primer in one?? That has been gr8 for me even on bare sheetrock. Other Behr's products have not faired well in my house. The paint/primer in one is the only one I would buy.

Meant to add, Auroa was as good as the Behr paint/primer in one. But a lot more expensive.

No, it was the regular paint, but it wasn't cheap... It was a few years back, so things definitely can change... But they claimed even back then that their paints won awards and were great and competitive... We sure didn't think so.

I also wasn't impressed with their ceiling paint, which also was just paint...

I just painted my ceiling with glidden ceiling paint. It was $11 bucks a gallon. I hope its not the cheap clay stuff demar paint was talking about. I do use Behr premium on the walls.

DP seems to be a man in the know. I'll add that CR seems to do a thorough job of testing paint. In the late 80's I repainted the interior & the pop corn ceiling with BM paint, based on CR's recommendations. It still looks the same as the day I painted it. It hasn't changed colors, nor faded. My ceilings are still brilliant white. (The builder used the thinnest, cheapest interior paint he could and it had a greenish tint under flourescent light! Plus he didn't prime the bare drywall. $%^&! job all around.

On the exterior, I used Kelley-Moore and it's held up very, very well here. I recently repainted the North side for the first time since 1990! I'll add that I usually power wash the exterior of my house once a year in late Spring. It removes, dirt, spider webs, Oak pollen, etc.

I opened an account with the KM store and receive a large discount from them. Whenever I replaced exterior wood, I used KM primer first, then their top coat.

My two cents....go quality and prep first!

I just painted my ceiling with glidden ceiling paint. It was $11 bucks a gallon. I hope its not the cheap clay stuff demar paint was talking about. I do use Behr premium on the walls.

Glidden makes some quality products as well as some low end stuff. You should be OK on the ceiling. If you're concerned and want to attempt to lock up the cheaper paint, you could apply a coat of Zinsser Gardz to the ceiling next time you paint it, and then top coat it with a good quality paint. The Gardz is water thin, and penetrates the low quality flat paint film and really locks it up nicely. It also works very well as a primer under wall coverings especially if the walls were done in a latex flat finish. We've done a lot of testing of the product and it can be very useful in certain problem situations.

Glidden makes some quality products as well as some low end stuff. You should be OK on the ceiling. If you're concerned and want to attempt to lock up the cheaper paint, you could apply a coat of Zinsser Gardz to the ceiling next time you paint it, and then top coat it with a good quality paint. The Gardz is water thin, and penetrates the low quality flat paint film and really locks it up nicely. It also works very well as a primer under wall coverings especially if the walls were done in a latex flat finish. We've done a lot of testing of the product and it can be very useful in certain problem situations.

Wow, thanks your knowledge here is amazing thanks.

Wow, thanks your knowledge here is amazing thanks.

You're welcome. If you ever run into a problem or have a question shoot me a PM.

Demar, what brushes do you use? I have a collection of 5 or so Purdy brand brushes. They seem to hold up and paint a good line without using tape. But i was curious what you use everyday.

Demar, what brushes do you use? I have a collection of 5 or so Purdy brand brushes. They seem to hold up and paint a good line without using tape. But i was curious what you use everyday.

I use mostly Corona brushes with a few Purdy brushes. When Sherwin Williams bought out Purdy the quality dropped off a bit, at least IMO. The Corona brushes are very good brushes a tiny bit higher in price but well worth it, especially their sash and trim brushes.

Behr ceiling paint is weak, very weak. Sure aren't getting away with a single coat!

Mr. Demarpaint: feel like sharing any secrets or tips on cutting above thin trip or under crowm molding? I'd like to say I'm not very good; but it would be a lie....I SUX!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back