H-4 Subaru

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite

ILSAC oil is "weak" Run a REAL oil and you'll be good to go. Sorry the US doesn't allow many "real" oils to be readily available due to emissions preservation and CAFE
smile.gif

What do you consider a real oil? Do you think the GC and TDT I'm running in my Subie is a "real" oil?

I think by "real", you mean "slightly thicker" oil?....because from everything I've seen, a typical 30 weight oil shouldn't be run in these Subaru's. Any "European Spec" like GC, M1 0w40, or HDEO in a 40 weight is the way to go. And I'm sure, in warmer weather, any 10w40 would be perfect as well.

For the old Ej253 something between and ILSAC 30 grade and a ACEA A3/B4 30.

1000ppm -1200 phos and a good dose of moly wouldn't hurt. Semi- syn or hydrocracked are fine. M1 HM 10w30 and M1r40T racing used to be decent technical syns used as is right out of the bottle - not requiring any frankenbrew then came along Visom ...

As I said b4 I've run Rotella Triple 10w30 moderated with with 1 qt 5w30 Formula Shell (from the high moly era) Or Just 1/2 old SSL or SM MC5k 5w30 & 1/2 MC5K 10w40

"It's true these engines are very low wearing engines, but like I said they do thin oil down pretty quickly"

Almost any engine will shear that ILSAC Resource Conserving water/junk down.
You might want to go with a non-RC oil like Pennzoil High Mileage 10w30.

http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GPCDOC_GTDS_Pennzoil_High_Mileage_Vehicle_10W-30_Motor_Oil_%28SN%29_%28en%29_TDS.pdf

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Phishin
Originally Posted By: sxg6
Looks like I'm in the minority on this one. I have a non-turbo 2009 legacy and from what I've seen on these forums, and in my own personal uoa's these engines are hard on oil in the sense that they tend to shear it down pretty quickly.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/viscosity-charts/

Exactly. These H-4's may be low wearing, but every UOA I've seen shows a high amount of shear. I've also seen some high spikes in lead, copper, and iron if the oil reaches too low into the 20 weights. This is why I'm running GC in the winter (thick 30 weight) and M1 TDT in the summer....and not going beyond 5-6k OCI's.

I rest my case.

My reports showed little to no shearing:

PP 5w30:
uoa2.JPG

T5:
oil.8.2012.jpg

There's no doubt these engines run well on an oil with an HTHS of 3.5+, and if you're engine/habits shears the oil I would would recommend it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back