Quaker State 0W20 Oil - Is it any Good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gotta love Shannow's tenacity tracking down TGMOs elusive tri-nuclear pixie dust.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
This oil is specially formulated to Toyota's specifications and consequently is unique with a number of attributes that no other OTC oil offer including Quaker State and Mobil 1's own 0W-20.

What are these "unique" attributes ?

By mentioning "attributes", I take it there's more of them than it's VI, and would appreciate an insight...and where such attributes are gleaned from since we have an MSDS only from mobil on the product.

Being a thick oil guy I know you have expressed complete disdain for the 0W-20 grade and TGMO in particular but for those that are interested TGMO 0W-20 is pretty special:

A higher VI (216-220) than all OTC oils.
A lower KV40 (36-37cSt) than all OTC oils.
Higher AW additive levels than most 0W-20s.
A proven high degree of shear stability, better than many much lower VI 0W-20s.

And we've have accumulated a slew of UOAs and VOAs including the following:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3382139/1

There are possibly equal or better API SN GF-5 0W-20s to TGMO, such as Sustina, MGMO and SynGard but they are either more expensive or have limited availability.

Being a thick oil guy I know you have expressed complete disdain for the 0W-20 grade and TGMO in particular but for those that are interested TGMO 0W-20 is pretty special:

Your statement big boy, now, as usual I will ask you to back your statements up...where have I expressed disdain against 0W20s, and particular TGMO

I admit disdain for the made up mythology that surrounds TGMO "the oil that we know most about", where "most is made up pixies riding unicorns spreading fairy dust...and that's where I call you out...made up "stuff" that you parade as science.

A higher VI (216-220) than all OTC oils.

There's the anticipated VI

A lower KV40 (36-37cSt) than all OTC oils.

There's that VI again...still counting 1 attribute

Higher AW additive levels than most 0W-20s.

Zn+Mo+B = 982 in Gokhan's VOA
http://www.pqiamerica.com/June 2014/consolidated 0W-20.html

5 out of the 7 have higher AW additives than Gokhan's VOA...some by a massive 16%...

hmmm, still sitting at 1 attribute

A proven high degree of shear stability, better than many much lower VI 0W-20s.

Fairly subjective as the ones that have shown shear you usually write off to fuel or other mechanical problem....and again, you qualified it with VI.

So I guess we are still stuck with one attribute not shared by OTC 0W20s...pretty much as I expected.

Just switch to 0w20 QSUD in the F150 for winter. 5w30 QSUD seems to have decreased oil consumption in the Olds 3.5L V6 as well, but we will see (this is surprising and I wonder if its just fresher oil making the difference).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back