Rural King RK-16 oil filter cut open.

Status
Not open for further replies.
These are sold by the Midwest/Florida chain called Rural King, for $1.99 each.

They also sell their own brand of conventional oil (bottled by Warren Oil aka Warren Unilube) for less than $2 a quart... and have just introduced their own Full Synthetic oil for less than $3 a quart.

The application for this filter was 3.8 liter Dodge/Chrysler minivans (up to 2007)... and then whatever else that would fit. Mopar equivalent is the -090 filter.

Made in China... of course.

Nice heavy baseplate, thick shell, metal endcaps, crimped filter ends, coil spring. lots of filter media.

Again, the unknown is the efficiency of the media. Otherwise, it reminds me a LOT of the Driveworks filter that I posted pictures of a few days back.

Grab this filter with some of that $1.79/qt oil, and you're looking at an oil change at a nearly unbeatable price (without the need to submit a rebate).

IMG_20141119_223626_243_zpsc474f607.jpg

IMG_20141119_223526_968_zpsb9bd931b.jpg

IMG_20141119_223710_244_zps202b56ad.jpg

IMG_20141119_223508_611_zps06ca41ed.jpg

IMG_20141119_223555_451_zps15577478.jpg

Originally Posted By: webfors
Nice looking filter. What did the ADBV look/feel like?

Of course, it was of the black rubber variety.

It fit against the base plate very well, and was nicely flexible.

Looks just like the DW! Very stout.

Is the bypass a little different though? Hard to tell with the other photos in the previous thread, but that style seems comparable to the WIX dome end setup.

As mentioned before, a few have reported issues with the bypass' failing on Chinese filters.. this is my only concern.

First thing caught my eye here, the superior user friendly base plate design that helps with installation in blind or less than optimal visibility or access of the block threads.

This looks to be a small(er) application and without mentioning the brand, on smaller applications, a popular brand has gone to the cheaper base plate design. It's one that requires more exacting/precise thread line up for installation. Interesting though they still show the same design shown here on their box.
56.gif

But yeah, said it before the China made spin ons look good and generally use coil retainer spring. Efficiency spec, who knows.
21.gif

Filter looks good construction wise. If the ADBV works properly I could live with the lower efficiency.

Sayjac, not sure that is still going on. Every Fram I have used in the last couple years still looked like the base plate above. I did have one one with the other plate a while back (over 2 years ago) but haven't seen one since. Haven't been popping boxes open at Walmart though either.

The very small ones like the 7317 appear cheaper. Not so much the 8A, 16 etc. The spec'd 9688 for my moms Elantra even looks that way.

Yes the popular 7317 application and it's shorty version 6607 use the base plate to which I was referring. Their SAE thread counterparts the 4386/4967 also use the same plate design. There is a thread here from 2011 in which the base plate design change is the topic. No need to link as it's not the topic of this thread. I will say the ecore's extra baseplate is used for the reasons previously noted.

But looking closer the at this filter, it would/should be the 3614 application so it's larger than it first appeared, and the base plate would be similar to the one shown. While perhaps a nitpick, it is a better design.

I guess the ones I buy still use it too I've only seen one thus far. Had no problems with the one I used though.

To be honest, I have no idea what this filter is a replacement of. I was unaware that the Mo-90 was spec'd for the more recent 3.8 engines. I tried putting that size filter one my moms 2009 Rubicon.. a pulley was in the way.

It is spec'd for the Mo-409 which what I can gather is basically a stubby version of the FL400s.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
To be honest, I have no idea what this filter is a replacement of. I was unaware that the Mo-90 was spec'd for the more recent 3.8 engines. I tried putting that size filter one my moms 2009 Rubicon.. a pulley was in the way.

It is spec'd for the Mo-409 which what I can gather is basically a stubby version of the FL400s.

A Mopar -090 will fit the Town and Country/Grand Caravan with the 3.8 up to 2007.

Anything else, you'll need to refer to a catalog.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

A Mopar -090 will fit the Town and Country/Grand Caravan with the 3.8 up to 2007.

Anything else, you'll need to refer to a catalog.

I was always under the assumption they were the exact engine in both the van and the Jeep up until the they dumped the engine completely for the Pentastar. I learn something new every day.

If that is an accurate cross you can use the Motorcraft FL-910s and get a silicone ADBV and save a few bucks in the process too.

Not sure you'll need to cross them to make sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back