UOA for the 5.3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering between Valvoline Synpower, Castrol Edge & Penzoil Platinum in 5w30 has given the best. results . I was specifically the PP numbers. I have used the PP with TG filters with great results but always get told Pennzoil sucks with no real reason other than it's what people say. Any results, tests & thoughts are welcome.

Last edited:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/used-oil-analysis/

Please read
smile.gif

Synpower would be my choice out of the three you listed.
I've seen some pretty impressive uoa's with synpower.
It's a great oil in my opinion.

I've read it many times but always good reminder thanks. Just wondering if there is any real reason why a lot of mechanics call me stupid for using this or if it's old folklore that's just never went away with today's advancements in oil.

I was burning through synpower in my yukon a 1 qt every 3-4k. I switched to PU and haven't had any consumption since.

Will be going back to napa syn, almost identical to synpower, once my PU stash is used up.

No idea. Purchased the car used with 69k put 10k on it with the synpower and it burned. 10k of PU and no more consumption.

My yukon does have the active fuel management and I believe when it deactivates the cylinders it is hard on oil.

I wouldn't hesitate going back to synpower as long as my consumption doesn't increase.

Nothing wrong with any of the products you listed. There are a few of my Pennzoil UOAs from an L76 posted here. For general use, any of these brands will offer superb service.

Originally Posted By: OSUFan86
I was wondering between Valvoline Synpower, Castrol Edge & Penzoil Platinum in 5w30 has given the best. results . I was specifically the PP numbers. I have used the PP with TG filters with great results but always get told Pennzoil sucks with no real reason other than it's what people say. Any results, tests & thoughts are welcome.

Lots and lots of UOAs for the 5.3. PP is a great product. People are stupid.

The documented oil issues with the AFM equipped engines was a primary motivator in my deactivating the AFM function on my 2013 5.3. Scotty on Star Trek had it pegged down... "the more complicated they make the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain". I use a Schaeffer synthetic 5w30 in mine, mostly because I use Schaeffer in my commercial stuff and it is easy to have them throw in a case of 5w30 for my pickup on an order and it all gets shipped to me for free. And I just deduct the cost along with my commercial oil needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back