VL Maxlife Syn to Mobil 1 HM

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been running the full synthetic version of Valvoline Maxlife in a little Saturnn SC2 I use for back and forth to work with pretty good results and the price was reasonable. Now however - at Walmart the SYN Maxlife is the same cost as Mobil 1 High Mileage. I use M1 in all my other vehicles so I switched to Mobil 1 HM because I "feel" that it's a better oil when the price is the same even though I've got no data to prove this lol.

Any opinions? I know I will be well served by either but how about you guys. Given the same price would you have picked the Valvoline or Mobil 1?

I'd trust Maxlife as a better HM oil as they invented the HM oil and still seem to be the best.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
I'd trust Maxlife as a better HM oil as they invented the HM oil and still seem to be the best.

They came out with the concept of a "high mileage" oil first, sure. But XOM has far more resources than Ashland does. They are CAPABLE of generating a better product. That doesn't mean they DO but being the guys that came up with the idea doesn't make you the best at it.

I'd a picked the Maxlife syn blend first.

As far as the synthetics, M1 is thick for grade Maxlife is not. Other than that I doubt you will notice much difference.

Comparing VOA's of early versions of M1 and the current one shows they really watered it down. I was just looking at them the other day. BobFout did the current VOA,the older one is a lil hard to find,I found it on Google the other night. Mobil almost cut the moly and zddp in half with the current formula (this is with the 10W40 version,not sure about the others).

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Comparing VOA's of early versions of M1 and the current one shows they really watered it down. I was just looking at them the other day. BobFout did the current VOA,the older one is a lil hard to find,I found it on Google the other night. Mobil almost cut the moly and zddp in half with the current formula.

If the moly is trinuclear, then that's normal. And if the oil is SN, so is the reduction in ZDDP.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
I'd a picked the Maxlife syn blend first.

As far as the synthetics, M1 is thick for grade Maxlife is not. Other than that I doubt you will notice much difference.

The 1st run was with the Red bottle semi-syn then I switched to the Full Syn version. Using the semi-syn is probably all the car really needs anyhow

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Comparing VOA's of early versions of M1 and the current one shows they really watered it down. I was just looking at them the other day. BobFout did the current VOA,the older one is a lil hard to find,I found it on Google the other night. Mobil almost cut the moly and zddp in half with the current formula.

If the moly is trinuclear, then that's normal. And if the oil is SN, so is the reduction in ZDDP.

Good information here.

I wonder if one oil is better at preventing oil burning though?

As far as the synthetics, M1 is thick for grade Maxlife is not.

M1 HM is not that much thicker than regular M1.

M1 5w30: HTHS Viscosity, mPa•s @ 150ºC (ASTM D4683) 3.1
M1 10w30: HTHS Viscosity, mPa•s @ 150ºC (ASTM D4683) 3.0

M1 HM 5w30: HTHS Viscosity, mPa•s @ 150ºC (ASTM D4683) 3.3
M1 HM 10w30: HTHS Viscosity, mPa•s @ 150ºC (ASTM D4683) 3.5
M1 HM 10w40: HTHS Viscosity, mPa•s @ 150ºC (ASTM D4683) 3.9

Maxlife: Valvoline.com doesn't list the numbers

They came out with the concept of a "high mileage" oil first, sure. But XOM has far more resources than Ashland does.

It's because Valvoline users keep their cars turn to rust/250K miles and Valvoline saw this and created this concept. All the while M1 users keep their cars for about 7 years/100K miles before getting a new one. (A course I made this up to push some buttons)

Originally Posted By: 285south

They came out with the concept of a "high mileage" oil first, sure. But XOM has far more resources than Ashland does.

It's because Valvoline users keep their cars turn to rust/250K miles and Valvoline saw this and created this concept. All the while M1 users keep their cars for about 7 years/100K miles before getting a new one. (A course I made this up to push some buttons)

LOL!
grin.gif

I think Ashland was just looking for a way to gin up more oils sales
wink.gif
After it actually worked, others followed suit.

Originally Posted By: 285south

As far as the synthetics, M1 is thick for grade Maxlife is not.

M1 HM 5w30: HTHS Viscosity, mPa•s @ 150ºC (ASTM D4683) 3.3
M1 HM 10w30: HTHS Viscosity, mPa•s @ 150ºC (ASTM D4683) 3.5
M1 HM 10w40: HTHS Viscosity, mPa•s @ 150ºC (ASTM D4683) 3.9

Maxlife: Valvoline.com doesn't list the numbers

The HTHS you quoted is what I was referring to. For example M1 is 3.5 in 10w30, Maxlife 10w30 is 3.0 or 3.1 I forget exactly but Valvoline told me it was one of the two. That's the same difference between a run of the mill resource conserving 10w30 and Rotella.

Would it be a stretch to say Mobil 1 may have the better base stock and be more of a "synthetic" than the Valvoline? I am referring to if Valvoline is more of a grp 3 oil than Mobil 1 which, I believe, contains grp 4.

But XOM has far more resources than Ashland does. They are CAPABLE of generating a better product.

I agree. Those boys over at Valvoline are in dire straits. Their corporate headquarters is dilapidated and run down. They have no paper for the fax machine and they can't even afford coffee for the office no more.

3029341-poster-p-shopping-12.jpg

Valvoline must be doing something right, all the Rick Hendrick race cars now use it and so do his dealerships. The VOA's always seem to look good with Valvoline stuff as well. For an old Saturn, I'd think Maxlife red bottle would be more than enough unless you're really pushing the OCI. Coupons.com still has $4 off coupons (discount applied at checkout register) on VWB and Maxlife.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
I have been running the full synthetic version of Valvoline Maxlife in a little Saturnn SC2 I use for back and forth to work with pretty good results and the price was reasonable. Now however - at Walmart the SYN Maxlife is the same cost as Mobil 1 High Mileage. I use M1 in all my other vehicles so I switched to Mobil 1 HM because I "feel" that it's a better oil when the price is the same even though I've got no data to prove this lol.

Any opinions? I know I will be well served by either but how about you guys. Given the same price would you have picked the Valvoline or Mobil 1?

No brainer. Keep using the same oil brand don't switch back and forth.

Yeah I know it should make any diff to keep switching in theory, however over time switching brands means switching additive chemistry and can frustrate the oil usage as it takes several OCI's of the same brand for the usage to settle down.

Don't be a tight ??? over a few dollars and keep using the same brand IMO.

BTW the Valvoline may be better suited than M1 for your vehicle.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
But XOM has far more resources than Ashland does. They are CAPABLE of generating a better product.

I agree. Those boys over at Valvoline are in dire straits. Their corporate headquarters is dilapidated and run down. They have no paper for the fax machine and they can't even afford coffee for the office no more.

3029341-poster-p-shopping-12.jpg

Have you ever played Left 4 Dead? If not, you should. I swear that mall above is in it! LMAO!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back