Bizarre situation, MAXLIFE and my Passat

Status
Not open for further replies.
So there goes the disputed claim that chaining fluid will cause issues in a tranny with 100K miles on it. Guess what, is not a fable. Its true. So signs point to a leaking seal on a piston in the tranny that was not there before all this or was it? anyway, is there anything that can swell the seals?

Should have stayed with the OEM vendor fluid from Pentosin, ZF,
or Febi.

NEVER flush a transmission unless the manufacturer specifically allows it. The best way is to do a drain and fill a couple of times , in short intervals and replace the filter if applicable.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sayjac
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: KGMtech
Your shift solinoids are leaking. You will need to drop the pan and have the solinoid plate cleaned out, new seals installed.

You posted this on Passatworld.com and this answer was proposed already...right?

Why are these bleeding pressure now? well you gave the transmission a flush, and the new fluid has cleaned out old material that was making the seal.

Either live with it, or get it fixed, but changing the fluid or the filter will not help IMHO.

Lots of interesting info there. It makes it more difficult to blame the fluid, once you know all the facts.

OP have the unit repaired before you have more problems with it.

Agreed. More informed information that would point away from the fluid and toward said trans internal parts.

Exactly.

Originally Posted By: Why_Anything
So there goes the disputed claim that chaining fluid will cause issues in a tranny with 100K miles on it. Guess what, is not a fable. Its true. So signs point to a leaking seal on a piston in the tranny that was not there before all this or was it? anyway, is there anything that can swell the seals?

That myth has been debunked here many times. Several of us have serviced problem free transmissions with well over 100K miles on them w/o issue. Some of us have even solved transmission problems by servicing the unit, although that can be hit or miss. Typically people servicing transmissions service them because they have a problem they're trying to resolve, and the transmission was not serviced before. Sometimes after they do the work they discover the problem is still there, or gets worse, and they blame servicing the unit.

If you don't plan on doing the repair, I would consider going with the OEM fluid and Lubegard [the product they spec for the OEM ATF] a try and hope for the best. I would not add something to swell seals. Opinions vary.

Try Lubegard Red- perhaps you have a shift solenoid sticking. Red should smoth everything out. The stuff rocks.
I have Maxlife and Lubegard Red in my 09 audi a4, 6 speed tip tronic. Shifts are amazing, it has 120,000miles on it.

Originally Posted By: nicholas
Try Lubegard Red- perhaps you have a shift solenoid sticking. Red should smoth everything out. The stuff rocks.
I have Maxlife and Lubegard Red in my 09 audi a4, 6 speed tip tronic. Shifts are amazing, it has 120,000miles on it.

A big +1 to this. I have mostly Maxlife with LG Red in my 5HP19FLA and it actually cleared up the 2-3 upshift problems that ATF1 did not fix.

I also suggest changing out the filter with the kit from Autozone. It's the only kit I found that had a rubber gasket. The others I've tried had paper gaskets and they all leaked. Plus it's cheap.

And for those knocking you for changing fluid on a 100k mile trans, save your breath. I had 85k on mine when it got its first fresh fluid and it now has 182k miles and shifts great. And the OP didn't have a "flush" done as I read it, but two D&Fs.

@Why Anything:

Have you scanned your TCU/ ECU with a VAGCOM or VW tool?

Generic scan tools WILL NOT show transmission error codes at least on a VW/Audi.

I would be interesting to see if any codes would pop up,
something most folks don't realize is that on some models even
transmission pending codes can occur, they will not illuminate the
transmission check light or MIL but they will be stored in the tool as pending. Get the car scanned and get back to us. I would bet that there is some kind of TCU code.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KGMtech
Your shift solinoids are leaking. You will need to drop the pan and have the solinoid plate cleaned out, new seals installed.

You posted this on Passatworld.com and this answer was proposed already...right?

Why are these bleeding pressure now? well you gave the transmission a flush, and the new fluid has cleaned out old material that was making the seal.

Either live with it, or get it fixed, but changing the fluid or the filter will not help IMHO.

thumbsup2.gif

Curious update, i decide to use Castrol transmax and after 400 miles the flair is GONE but now i have very firm shifts and almost hard down shifts. Car seems to hold in lock longer too. Seems strange. But i guess firm shifts and harder down shifts are better than flairs.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: Why_Anything

That myth has been debunked here many times. Several of us have serviced problem free transmissions with well over 100K miles on them w/o issue.

Doesn't appear to prove anything, either way. (Except that transmissions, like opinions, vary)

I guess some ATs like Maxlife better than others.

My 2008 Elantra seems to love the stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back