Thinking about switching from M1 HM to ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My daily driver is a 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 with the 5.7 hemi. I bought the truck brand new and it's received 5,000 mile oil/filter changes ever since. I have always used the suggested 5w20 in a quality brand with a quality filter ( usually wix). The truck runs great, no smoke and doesn't leak a drop. I love the truck and hope to drive it for a long long time.

At the 75,000 mile mark, I found M1 high mileage 5w20 on sale at Walmart and purchased enough for 2 OCI's. The oil seem to run really well in my hemi. 89,000 miles now and still no leaks but the truck is burning a lot more oil than it ever has, about 3 qts per OCI.

Is this normal? I know some oil consumption is common but it's not common is this truck. Should I switch back to conventional or blended HM oil? Or maybe a different viscosity??

Love this site and looking forward to learning something new. Thanks.

There has been more than one person note increased oil consumption when changing brands/types, but nearly all of them come back to say it disappears after an OC or two. If it has not curtailed after 2 OC's, I would try something else--perhaps a return to one of the former brands you liked best?

I would use Motorcraft 5w20 synblend and call it a day. Very good oil especially for 5k mile OCI. I used to run it 7,500 miles in my cruze and it never caused a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back