Thoughts on this oil analysis??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, quick over view of my car. It is a 2013 Camaro ZL1 (6.2L supercharged V8) making about 580-600 rwhp. This is my weekend / race car. I road course race / HPDE this car down here in Texas, which means in the summer the track sessions are 95 degrees or so. I'm looking for an oil that will hold up on the track well, but also good for my "weekend driving."

My first oil analysis was based on an oil sample I took that had 1 track day plus about 1,000 miles driven on it. The oil was Mobil 1 5w30. Considering how low mileage this oil change was, the analysis came back as expected and the oil was practically new. My second oil analysis (the image below) had two HARD track days, the first of which was in July when the outside temp was over 95 degrees. This oil sample also had around 2,700 miles driven on it. I basically went three times as far with two times as many track days on my second analysis, and these two track days were much harder than the first one. Also note that I changed from Mobil 1 5w30 to Pennzoil Ultra 10w30, I decided to go to a slightly heavier weight oil to try and minimize and chance of thinning the oil out due to high oil temps caused by Texas heat and of course prolonged track sessions. The report came back fine and there is no signs that the oil is breaking down, which is great news and tells me that I can continue to increase the amount of track days per oil change.

As noted in the comments section of the oil report, my Aluminum content and Iron content are higher than expected. The engine only has ~11,700 miles on it, so I do not know if it is still being "broken in" and that is what the higher Alum / Iron wear is from OR if it is from tracking it and running it hard.

I just performed an oil change with the same Pennzoil Ultra 10w30 and plan to run it under the same circumstances (2 track days plus ~2,700 miles) as my last oil change. That way I can get a true apples to apples comparison for my next report.

Here's a copy of my oil analysis report. First column is my most recent oil analysis report, third column is my first analysis and second column is an average between all of my reports (only two at this time).

The SUS Viscosity is something I need to investigate further. As you can see the SUS is higher from my Mobil 1 5w30 than the Pennzoil 10w30, I would think this is the opposite of what should be expected, correct? I need to know what a virgin sample of each starts of at. The Pennzoil either broke down faster OR it is just lower to begin with. Either way, the opposite of what I was trying to do by switching from the Mobil 1 to the Pennzoil... Please correct me if I'm wrong.

15f3if4.jpg

Everything looks good, but if you plan on running a longer oil run, I personally would try a thicker oil as the viscosity looks to be on the low end.. Maybe a 5w40 or 5w50? Or even a 10w40.

Last edited:
I would say figure 20K before its broken in and you can then attribute any high wear metals to something other than breakin.

Try Polaris for your UOA. They give oxidation and nitration along with TBN. All good to have to determine if the oil is breaking down.

Iron spike is curious, but if you drive that thing like it was meant to be driven, I'd expect elevated wear numbers.

Not really sure why you're running 10w30, though. Isn't that thing spec'd for 5w30?

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Everything looks good, but if you plan on running a longer oil run, I personally would try a thicker oil as the viscosity looks to be on the low end.. Maybe a 5w40 or 5w50? Or even a 10w40.

Agreed about going thicker.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Iron spike is curious, but if you drive that thing like it was meant to be driven, I'd expect elevated wear numbers.

Not really sure why you're running 10w30, though. Isn't that thing spec'd for 5w30?

I primairly track that the car and push it hard, so yeah I'd say I'm driving it like I should
grin.gif

A lot of people with the LS engines are going to a 10w30 or even a 10w40 depending on climate & tracking etc. But yes GM calls for 5w30.

The 2014 Camaro owners manual states to use 15w-50 in the Z28 if tracking it. Does your manual have similar verbiage in it?

What oil filter are you using?

Your oil choice is good, but if I were you, I would switch to Mobil 1 0w-40...

A 10W-30 may be thinner than a 5W-30 at 100C, since both fall within the same viscosity range and the 5W-30 might be blended at the thicker end of that range while the 10W-30 might be blended at the thinner end of that range.
That seems to be the case here.
I wonder what your oil temperatures are in track use?
I believe that Chevy now recommends a 15W-50 for both the Camaro and the Corvette if the cars are tracked.
I'm guessing that they have good reason for this and that high oil temperatures are probably it.
M1 0W-40 might be a good next step.
It's hard to say whether you're seeing excess wear as a result of the oil used being too thin for the use the engine sees or not.
Without a good number of UOAs to validate wear as you use the engine, we can't simply conclude that a thirty grade is too thin for your use with this engine.
Still, I would personally be inclined to use something thicker.
Can't hurt and might well help.

I would honestly try the 5w30. The Corvette and other similar GM performance cars use it as the factory oil and we've seen UOAs on here for tracked Vettes that look just fine.

I suppose you could try M1 0w40 but I'd be worried about the higher temps and higher oil pressure.

OP:

Given the higher aluminum and iron readings, your pistons and bores weren't happy. Was there any chance that you had some detonation going on? Were you short shifting and using alot of low end grunt?

At any rate, awesome car!

Scott

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
The 2014 Camaro owners manual states to use 15w-50 in the Z28 if tracking it. Does your manual have similar verbiage in it?

There is no specific call out for track oil on the ZL1.

Originally Posted By: Turk

What oil filter are you using?
Your oil choice is good, but if I were you, I would switch to Mobil 1 0w-40...

The OEM filter, which is an AC Delco.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

I wonder what your oil temperatures are in track use?

About 275-285 degrees if I recall correctly

Originally Posted By: SLO_Town
OP:

Given the higher aluminum and iron readings, your pistons and bores weren't happy. Was there any chance that you had some detonation going on? Were you short shifting and using alot of low end grunt?

At any rate, awesome car!

Scott

It's possible but no likely, I was running octane booster to prevent that. The car is tuned for 93 pump gas. This given that the track I was on for the last two events was small it was primiarly just staying in a single gear.

I wonder why it gave 0.6% insolubles in just 1,000miles in a 9k miles car, with the previous sample. Any solid lubricant added, or ... just dirt.

UOA looks great to me under the circumstances. I'd run the 15W-50 M1 if you're going to continue to track it a lot. If it's just one or two runs per OCI, the PU 10W-30 seems to be doing fine. If you ever see oil over 300F, definitely go to the 15W-50. The 15W-50 is a lot more "streetable" oil than most people think, especially in Texas heat. It might cost you half an MPG, big deal.

OP:

Why would you run octane booster in such an advanced, high tech motor? The motor has knock sensors.

I say this with real envy of your fine machine, but I'd NEVER use any octane booster in that beast if it were mine.

Scott

Originally Posted By: Pontual
I wonder why it gave 0.6% insolubles in just 1,000miles in a 9k miles car, with the previous sample. Any solid lubricant added, or ... just dirt.

That was my fault, bad sample procedure..

Originally Posted By: bigt61
UOA looks great to me under the circumstances. I'd run the 15W-50 M1 if you're going to continue to track it a lot. If it's just one or two runs per OCI, the PU 10W-30 seems to be doing fine. If you ever see oil over 300F, definitely go to the 15W-50. The 15W-50 is a lot more "streetable" oil than most people think, especially in Texas heat. It might cost you half an MPG, big deal.

When I burn half a tank is a 30 minute track session I'm not too concerned about MPG, but I get your point and agree. I think I will move to a heavier oil for summer track sessions.

Originally Posted By: SLO_Town
OP:
Why would you run octane booster in such an advanced, high tech motor? The motor has knock sensors.
I say this with real envy of your fine machine, but I'd NEVER use any octane booster in that beast if it were mine.
Scott

The guy that tuned my car (Matt from Florida Speed and Power) is arguably one of the best LS tuners in the country, the dude is truly amazing. One of the members in our club has a 919 rwhp 2010 Camaro SS on stock bottom end, actually set a record for highest horse power on stock bottom end or a. Anyways, it is more a safety redundancy. Like Matt said, would you rather spend $20 on some octane booster / race gas or possibly buy a new motor? Knock sensors should keep everything in check but you never know.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
What track here in Tx do you like to run?

MSR Houston from time-to-time, actually running there this Saturday. However the club I'm in rents out Grandsport Speedway about once a quarter. It's a small track (1.1 miles) but very technical and I get as many sessions as I want.

I won't say a thing about the uoa, but I bet the car has some get up an go!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back