New Chrysler 300 for price of a Nissan Versa...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well not really. I should use the term rate instead of price. Rental rate to be specific. I needed a last minute one way rental yesterday to take advantage of a weather window to go pickup my Ducati from the 15,000 mile service. Called to get a car lined up, ask for the bottom of barrel, which would be a Chevy Spark but for a dollar more they offered a Versa so took that. Gave me the reservation number to give to the counter agent. Go to get the car, paperwork done, hands me a key fob set, directs me to the ready lot space 103. Off I go. Not a Versa in 103, a 300 instead. Look down at key fob. Chrysler emblem. Moral dilemna. Go tell agent it's not a Versa or take the free upgrade and ride in style. Took the upgrade
smile.gif
Downside is that now I'm spoiled and what I usually drive now seems like a Trabant
frown.gif

At the destination, hand over the paper work to the agent who courteously checks it in,logs mileage and doesn't say a thing about the difference.

11.gif

About the car. 5000 miles showed on the odo. Admittedly I have no comparison within the class the 300 competes in, but wow, what a nice car. Suspension smooth as fine silk yet just the right firmness. The Pentastar V6 and 8 speed transmission combo worked seamlessly together and even minor presses on the pedal rendered a crisp yet smooth down shift, firm increase in thrust, satisfying growl from the motor, yet silenced in a tasteful way. On the interstate it felt more like I was in a hovercraft skimming on a tight cushion of compressed air instead of rolling on concrete-- yet still connected somehow and precisely responsive to steering, throttle, and brake inputs. Not an audiophile so can't comment on the sound system but compared to what's in my Forester it was like attending a live symphony orchestra performance. Although at times I simply turned it off and enjoyed the muted hush of the cabin to become lost in thoughts about life, motorcycles, and women. And some other stuff.

All in all, a good day, if not a dichotomy of travel experiences considering the chilly two hour ride home in full gear with the copious wind noise of my Nolan helmet (need to get ear plugs).

I find the later 300 models to be exceptionally sharp compared to their ugly forefathers. An AWD model with the Pentastar would be a nice ride.

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
What rental company? My last rental had 50k miles on it, was all banged up and smelled like smoke

Sorry about that.........I ran out of nicotine patches, and was really jonesing!

(Just kidding......I have never developed a tobacco habit.)

We were in Denver a couple years ago and rented a car. We had booked an economy car, but we just asked and they gave us a free upgrade to a full size. There, they just sent us out to the full size cars and we picked which one we wanted. We took a brand new Taurus with less than 100 miles on it. I'm sure we were the first people to rent it. That was also a really nice car.

They were really pushing the upgrade to an AWD SUV, which would have been a lot more expensive.

Twice in Texas I have gotten upgraded to an SUV in the middle of summer from an economy car.

The last time I ended up with an AWD Equinox with Tenn Plates on it.

I search websites for car rentals, sometimes the larger car is in less demand so they price it pretty low.

Got a similar deal in June. I had my car in the shop so I rented a car from Enterprise. Ended up with an Altima via Priceline. Not bad, I think it was around $75 for three days, taxes included.

When I returned it I said I had a trip coming up starting the Saturday before Father's Day and I'd need the car for a week. Get it on Saturday and return it the following Saturday. If they could book me this class of car for the same rate, I'd book it now and leave out Priceline.

They took the deal.

I get there and instead of an Altima, they offered a Maxima. Not as loaded as my MIL's Maxima. This one had cloth seats and no NAV. No big deal, it was a great highway cruiser.

I drove it from the STL metro to Broomfield, CO and back during that week. I think I put 2100 miles on the car in 7 days time with all the side trips, dropping my wife off at the Denver airport for her trip to TX etc.

So for $175, tax included, I had a Maxima for a week and about 2100 miles.

Really a win/win. Probably burned 100 gallons of fuel at about $3.50/gallon. So figure $350-400 for fuel. Worst case scenario is $575 for 2100 miles or about $0.273/mile in costs.

That's used car operating costs territory.

Even better when the rental was paid for and fuel up to the round trip airfare was paid by my employer.

My cost to take my wife with me on a work trip was a night say in KS to see her brother on the way out and her meals and other costs.

I feel fortunate to negotiate the deal and have a boss that is willing to work with me so I could take her along at no cost to the company.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back