BJ's Gas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Everyone,

I recently switched over to BJ's Premium gas (93 Octane) but noticed their not a top tier provider. However that being said I have no problems with their gas, I get great mileage and the performance is the same as brands. In fact the delivery trucks that pull into the station are the same trucks that come in Exxon stations near by.

For everyone here that buys gas from BJ's, what has your experience been in terms of MPG/Performance?

-Thanks

My parents have a BJ's wholesale membership and buy their gas occasionally. Haven't had any problems.

I believe the key to good fuel is getting it from somewhere that has lots of traffic. That way the fuel is constantly moving and being freshened up. Go to a gas station that doesn't see many customers and you risk getting fuel that contains moisture or bottom of the tank sediment.

We mostly use Shell, Chevron, Mobil and sometimes Costco, which so happens to be Top Tier, and Marathon which isn't. I wouldn't worry too much if every-so-often you throw Techron in the tank or go to Chevron for a fill or two.

Just my overall experience of using top tier and non-top tier premium fuel for years from places including BJ's.

NO DIFFERENCE and this is owning vehicles into the 150k-250k range with no fuel injection problems to speak of.

Always the cheapest swill I can find here. BJ's, Costco, Sheetz, Wawa, Flying J, Valero, Hess, Turkey Hill, Sunoco, Giant, whatever. Never an issue even out to 150k.

Also no real variation in MPG's with the various brands. Use what's cheapest and of the appropriate octane for your engine.

Originally Posted By: itguy08
Always the cheapest swill I can find here. BJ's, Costco, Sheetz, Wawa, Flying J, Valero, Hess, Turkey Hill, Sunoco, Giant, whatever. Never an issue even out to 150k.

Also no real variation in MPG's with the various brands. Use what's cheapest and of the appropriate octane for your engine.

And that's saying a lot itguy08, since you have a semi-high mileage, Direct Injection, twin-turbo, AWD vehicle in your stable. Good to know. (SHO)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: itguy08

Same here. Only had an issue one with my wife buying gas at a chain of stations called "Swifty." She went there because they pumped the gas for the same price as self serve. Cost me $75 to have the injectors cleaned.

Other than that, last car went 275K on low bid swill as determined by Gas Buddy. Never an issue. Only requirements are: clean, high volume station.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
My parents have a BJ's wholesale membership and buy their gas occasionally. Haven't had any problems.

I believe the key to good fuel is getting it from somewhere that has lots of traffic. That way the fuel is constantly moving and being freshened up. Go to a gas station that doesn't see many customers and you risk getting fuel that contains moisture or bottom of the tank sediment.

Couldn't agree more.

Here, we have a well-traveled Lukoil that has gas $2.51 a gallon. Halfway up the highway block (around a curve) is a Gulf station.. same price. Gulf station is old, pump took FOREVER which means gas is low under the station, and I genuinely feared "old gas." The Lukoil, or Getty? Had new gas filling up today.

Also: Heard it is not good to get gas when new gas is going in the in-ground tank, as the motion of new gas added could stir up settled sediments, too. Not sure how true any of this is, as there are supposed to be filters, but.. way back upon a time, this knowledge was imparted to me.

Anyone that tells you that sediments can't build up or that gas cannot get dirty needs to go change their fuel pump, see how dirty the gas is, do a double take about how gas can get like that, apologize, humble themselves, then use any cheapest gas with a GOOD fuel system cleaner, regularly, and stop paying for all the name-brand gas commercials and advertisements that come with name-brand gas by always buying it. Think about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back