Would you buy on sale if you have a stash?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Id pass even if it was a killer deal.. Like you said, you have 60k worth of oil to use up on 1 car. Use your money on something important. Nothing wrong with buying on sale though and keeping a small stash.

I try to do that, but have been slacking. PYB and Pennzoil HM is on rollback at WM and I have yet to take advantage of it.

Originally Posted By: hpb
I don't get why someone would want several years supply of oil, but I'm all ears if anyone cares to explain it.

It is something "built in" regarding certain human brains.

I'm down to 4 oil changes from 8 in my stash. I'm not buying anymore oil until its down to 1 oil change and the price is right, $1 qt for dino or < $3 qt for syn. If u have multiple years worth of oil in Ur stash, use it up first. That's why u bought it

Recently acquired multi-year stash during Fuel Rewards bonanza. It mostly replaced a previous multi-year stash.

Oil was acquired at extremely low prices during stash buildup, not much point in buying expensive motor oil when you have plenty of premium stuff around acquired at a fraction of the price.

Inventories job is to be inventory until the next major marketing/sale bonanza shows up when stash has run low. Have enough inventory to wait several years for that next opportunity.

i used to accumulate a stash. I usually will only buy Dexos stuff that is really cheap to stash. Otherwise i buy Trop Artic from the farm store a few times a year for 1.99 a qt. I mostly use that to change peoples oil with.

Pep Boys clearance of MAG1 Dexos1 synthetic ($1.80/qt), Delo 5w40 synthetic($14/gallon jug) going on right now.... i caved.

I only "buy" free-after-rebate oil and won't pay for it anymore.
So for 2 cars and 2 OPE I've been riding the gravy train since '09, but I'm getting a bit anxious because there have not been any FAR for quite a while. I figure I have 3-5 years left in my stash.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Originally Posted By: Jimkobb
I don`t keep a stash. I buy just before my oil change and just what I need .

Same here. That way I can choose my "flavor of the month" if thats what I feel like doing. And it will be "fresh".
wink.gif

That's how I do it too,and I only buy it at Walmart. They always have the freshest stock,unlike the auto parts chains who always seem to have ancient faded leaky bottles.

Five bucks a quart?
Nah.
M1 was recently offered with a twelve dollar MIR.
Along with sale pricing, this brought it down to ten bucks a jug.
That's a price worth buying at, so I bought two jugs.

I "stash" but only because there are quite a few cars that I maintenance for. All in all 9 cars, so I usually have a few cases just sitting in my garage.

Originally Posted By: hpb
I don't get why someone would want several years supply of oil, but I'm all ears if anyone cares to explain it.

I don't know what it is but I get like a kid in the candy store when I find a super deal on oil. Usually it once or twice a year you'll get that can't refuse deal where you don't need the oil but you'd be kicking yourself to pass it up. Lately I had to walk past a few good deals but eventually I'll probably fall off the wagon again and give in to the urge to splurge!!

Last edited:
If I come across a great deal like less than a buck a qt or 5 bucks a jug I will go for it even though I have a 3 yr supply
I cant explain it to you or myself or my wife who just shakes her head
Only the dog understands and is always on my side

^ Lol, yeah, dogs are awesome like that! Fair enough guys, I guess we all have our "thing" in life. Come to think of it, my wife DOES have an awful lot of shoes which she never seems to wear...

Originally Posted By: ronbo
No. The oil mfg claim the shelf life of oil is 5 years.

Originally Posted By: virginoil
Shelf life for oil is only 5 years or so, I don't get the point.

What will happen to the oil in a sealed container after 5 or 10 years ?

I bought some Mobil 1 in 2001-2002 and didn't finish it until 2010-2011 without any problem. The oil pouring out of the bottle was very much normal, no gunk and no chunk.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: ronbo
No. The oil mfg claim the shelf life of oil is 5 years.

Originally Posted By: virginoil
Shelf life for oil is only 5 years or so, I don't get the point.

What will happen to the oil in a sealed container after 5 or 10 years ?

I bought some Mobil 1 in 2001-2002 and didn't finish it until 2010-2011 without any problem. The oil pouring out of the bottle was very much normal, no gunk and no chunk.

The only reason they quote a 5 year shelf life is that by that time, the API rating may have gotten better so you'd be stuck with a shelf of inferior oil. Of course the stash is probably still fine for the car it was meant for.

I change oil and filter once a year and stay a year ahead on my supplies. I'd use up what you have. As far as oil with a shelf life of only 5 years, news to me.

Not unless it was $1./quart or less.
If it is older stock, that means I give it a good shake before putting in the engine. Never killed anything yet.

I think its a good idea to at least have 1 oil change on hand. I have went to WM several times only to find what I need not in stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back