Maxlife PS Fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think my PS pump/ hoses have developed a small leak. It needs topped off about twice a year.. It only goes down about 1/4" below the cold mark. Nothing too severe at all and not visually noticeable. Maybe not even worth mentioning.

Last year I bought a gallon jug of Oreilly's house brand so I could perform several turkey blaster flushes at a reasonable price. Ever since then I have taken 1 "squeeze" out before topping it off.

Is it worth making the switch to Maxlife? Both fluids do meet the 5931 spec.

I've never seen a big difference in PS fluid for most vehicles. Ford is the only one I have seen that gets noisy if you use regular fluid over trans fluid. And some, like Honda, have their own special fluid.

If this is for your jeep I would use the cheapest steering or trans fluid if leaking. Trans you usually can get cheaper and would fine. Many OEMs use trans fluid in their steering system since its one less fluid they need to carry at the factory.

Apparently this is one of the last few Mopar pumps to not use ATF+4 and need actual PS fluid? I don't know.. I read it on the web somewhere.
smile.gif

The V8 grands mechanical hydraulic fan is ran off the PS pump.. Thankfully I do not have that sort of sophistication under my hood.

I had a friend that had an SRT4 of roughly the same year that was spec'd for ATF+4 in the PS pump.

I've had no problems with OEM fluids and prefer OEM fluids for things such as PS and coolant. If I was to deviate from that routine, Max Life would be the last fluid I'd use. That stuff is garbage.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
I've had no problems with OEM fluids and prefer OEM fluids for things such as PS and coolant. If I was to deviate from that routine, Max Life would be the last fluid I'd use. That stuff is garbage.

Not you again..

Sir. Your only bad experience with Maxlife was when you replaced old ATF with new ATF.. several times consecutively and shocked the transmission. Any fluid would have likely done the same thing. ATF is full of detergent. Cleaning is what it does.

Like I've said, if your username was ATF Changer, you would have had no issues..

Id try it. The stop leak might help a bit, and worst case..it works as good as what you used before.
I bought some maxlife ATF for my power steering it was half the price of the mobil syn ATF. I havent used it yet though.

Last edited:
MaxLife has been the power steering fluid in all the vehicles in my sig for a few years now. All good
01.gif

I have done 2 drain and fills of my Subaru's CVT transmission with Valvoline CVTF. It still seems to be working as new, and doesn't leak.

Makes me wonder what you did wrong?

Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog

I have done 2 drain and fills of my Subaru's CVT transmission with Valvoline CVTF. It still seems to be working as new, and doesn't leak.

Makes me wonder what you did wrong?

Leave him be or he will keep at it incessantly.....

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Apparently this is one of the last few Mopar pumps to not use ATF+4 and need actual PS fluid? I don't know.. I read it on the web somewhere.
smile.gif

I have an '01 Dakota that uses the old MS5931 clear/amber fluid. There is a TSB allowing a full flush and complete replacement with ATF+4 aka MS9602, but I wanted to keep it simple and do easier drain and fills with the "same stuff" instead. I found this is the correct stuff that is MS5931 certified:

http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/valvoline_psf.pdf

Valvoline “Power Steering Fluid” (not Pyroil) Quart Part# 602241.0 UPC 74130-79089-6 Amber/Clear

I wish I could do that with mine. I have no idea which would work better in severe cold, but id imagine the synthetic ATF would handle better.

Either way, it'd be one less fluid to buy.

I wish I could do that with mine. I have no idea which would work better in severe cold, but id imagine the synthetic ATF would handle better.

You're correct, but it's not a big difference. Pour point on Valvoline PSF is -42C. Pour point on Valvoline ATF+4 is -48C. Both exceed my needs.

http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/valvoline_psf.pdf
http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/atf_+4.pdf

Either way, it'd be one less fluid to buy.

I hear you on that, I have some leftover ATF+4 from changing my 4WD transfer case ATF, and some leftover PSF from changing that. In my case I decided to be ultra-cautious and stick with the factory fill so as not to cause any problems with my rack and pinion. Maybe it would be better off with ATF+4, but I figure as long as I keep the PSF fresh it'll continue to serve me well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back