Firestone vs Kuhmo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

I'm new here and I need some help.

Trying to decide between the Firestone Winterforce or Kuhmo Izen W31.

I can't find too many reviews on the Kuhmo and that's the problem. I've never had a set of Kuhmos either.

These are the two options I have from the shop right now for winters.

Any opinions advice on which I should stick with?

Thanks for the help.

The Firestone Winterforce are held in decent regard here in the states but, there are better. Are these the only 2 choices that you want to compare in snow tires?

What size are you looking to get? Maybe we can help!

There are others/better choices too and, they may be less costly but, IDK your situation. Are you only buying from the shop?

Last edited:
I originally had purchased the Firestone. But when installation happened they weren't in stock so they put on the Kuhmo. When I got home I noticed the tire change. I called the shop and that's what they told me happened. Now I have a choice. Stick with the Kuhmos or have them order the Firestones in.

I live in Toronto, Ontario area.

Are you saying that the shop did a switch on your car without telling you?...Shame on them!
frown.gif

I have never heard of those Kumho I'zen W31 but, they could be the better of the two, IDK and can't find any reviews. This is what brings me to the Firestone Winterforce.

Also, what size and what vehicle will these tire be going on?

Just found this:

http://www.1010tires.com/Tires/Reviews/kumho/I-Zen+Wis+(KW19)

Last edited:
The deal was made to have the Firestone Tire and Wheel package put on. But after they were installed, and I checked when I get home, I noticed Kuhmos. So yes, a switch was made without telling me.

These are 205/65/16. On a Crossover type vehicle.

I've seen that review but the ones on mine are KW31.

http://www.quattrotires.com/tires/kw31/

There is that one but it doesn't say much.

What little info I've found on the KW31 (including one test by a Russian publication) indicates that they're "okay" but I'd normally like to see more data before I drew a conclusion.

The Winterforce is a well known model, and while it's not the best of the best, it's been proven to be a solid choice.

I would personally have the shop install the Firestones since they are what you originally paid for and they're a trusted option.

Originally Posted By: Bronxtale
The deal was made to have the Firestone Tire and Wheel package put on. But after they were installed, and I checked when I get home, I noticed Kuhmos. So yes, a switch was made without telling me.

These are 205/65/16. On a Crossover type vehicle.

I've seen that review but the ones on mine are KW31.

http://www.quattrotires.com/tires/kw31/

There is that one but it doesn't say much.

Ahh, I see! My Nissan Altima has this size too...just saying!
I'd get the Winterforce just because this is what I know!

It's too bad the shop didn't call you and ask what your preference was. From the link Mrsilv posted, the Kumho is a different class of tire altogether. The kumho looks like a studless snow and ice tire. The Firestone is a studdable tire. It will all come down to what kind of conditions you deal with. From my personal experience, stud less snow and ice tires are great for packed snow and glare ice. The downfall is that the compound is usually very soft and they get worn down very fast if driven on dry roads. The studdable tires work very well in deeper, fresher snow (without studs). They usually last a lot longer than the studless tires due to the compound being harder but the noise and ride quality is not too good.

It will come down to what is more important to you. I prefer the traditional studdable snow tires without studs for their longevity.

I agree go for the winterforce. And once they install the winterforces, dont ever go back to that shop. This is something you should have checked prior to leaving the shop. Clearly it was in their best interest to install the kumhos. Wasnt for your benefit, otherwise they would of advised you about it in advance. If you already paid for firestones why does the shop need to order them? Doesnt sound legit to me...

Wow, that's pretty bad for the shop to pull a switcharoo.

What's the country of origin of the Kumhos? What's the price difference?

If they gave you a more expensive tire for the price of the Winterforce, I'd consider keeping them.

If they charged you for the Winterforce, but instead gave you a cheaper tire, that's not cool.

I would try the kumhos. The tread pattern and wiping look good for snow and ice. I've had three sets of kumhos and have been very happy.

My wife drove the car over and I checked after work and by that time it was too late.

I paid for the Firestones as that was the agreed package (tire and wheel) and was told the Kuhmo's were more expensive after I had called to ask what happened.

We are not allowed to stud tires where I live. Having said that, still go with the Firestones then?

Just from what I know, I trust the Firestone brand a little more than the Kuhmo as it has been mentioned it seems to be more trustworthy.

However, with the tire and wheel package, how many seasons will a Firestone last on average. The car is lucky to put on 15k a year so not much driving is done on this car. Takes kids back and forth to school and family outings.

The Firestones wear pretty good. My mom had a set for her van, low mileage around town driving, after 4 or 5 years there was not much noticeable wear when I took them off last spring. They are a snow design, and handle snow and slush well IMHO. Maybe a little noisier and squishy feeling but not bad.

No experience with the Kumho, not sure by the pictures if it is biased more to ice or snow.

I'd stick with the Kumho I'ZEN KW31 tires. I'd only take the Firestones if it was late in the season and I was stuck to find anything else. I don't want a studable tire without studs. I want a studless tire for anything except glare ice, and then I want studs. Agreed, the tire shop should have consulted with you before making the change.

Just noticed on the Kumho Canada site that they have a new all-year snow-flake-on-mountain tire, the Solus Vier KH21. "For harmony of driving in any weather Conditions."

Have you checked the date code on all 4 of the Kumhos... to verify that they aren't something like 3 years old already?

If the Kuhmos are fresh, I'd keep them.

If they're over a year old, I'd take them back for the Firestone set... and hope for something newer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back