Opinions Wanted: Sherwin-Williams Paint

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the time of year to start painting the inside of the house. A S-W just opened nearby. Is S-W better in any way? I'm comparing S-W to the paint found at HD or Lowes.

SW paint is ok, nothing great though, IMO. I use BM paint because the customers are conditioned to ask for it. Lately some people have been requesting Behr paint, and I've used it. I can say in all honesty the HD Behr paint [top of the line premium paint] is better than the BM and SW paint, it is less costly too in most cases. Consumer reports speaks very highly of it as well. In fact I'd suggest you check it out on Consumer reports.

I think that any top line paint is good. They all make their claims! CR may be of some help here. I am personally more picky for the outside of the house(now have vinyl siding) than the inside but, do like good paint for the inside of my home.

I have used Behr & Valspar with good success but, it's on the inside not outside!
smile.gif

We kind'a paint a lot so, we're always having good clean paint in the rooms. I don't mind!

We also keep most of our rooms in the neutral tones so, coverage is quite good this way!

Last edited:
My wife (interior designer) has required that we use S W for years. Many years ago my neighbor and I painted our houses at the same time. Today, his house is all faded and worn out looking. Our S W paint still looks like we just painted it. We are currently painting one of our daughters rooms. Going from bright pink to a very light blue. One coat is all it is required. Not one bit of bleed thru from the pink.

I feel that Sherwin Williams is mixed to meet a quality point where as most of the Home Depot, Lowes, Menards and Hardware paint is produced to meet a price point.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BobsArmory

I feel that Sherwin Williams is mixed to meet a quality point where as most of the Home Depot, Lowes, Menards and Hardware paint is produced to meet a price point.

They like all the other paint companies have a good, better, and best, each made to a certain price point. HD, Lowes, BM, and most of the others play the same game. You could safely say you get what you pay for. I like to compare the premium products to keep it fair.

SW is usually way overpriced and according to some comparisons I have read, nothing great.I would go with Behr paint. And no matter where you buy, ask for a painters discount if you buy a bunch of paint at once.

SW is usually way overpriced and according to some comparisons I have read, nothing great.I would go with Behr paint. And no matter where you buy, ask for a painters discount if you buy a bunch of paint at once.

A couple of years ago we decided to change color on an accent wall. I stopped by a Sherwin Williams store, looked at colors, and asked about the price. It was almost $50/gallon for interior flat latex.

I took the color chips to Lowes and had them mix what I needed to that color. It went on just fine, and the cost was less than 1/2 of Sherwin Williams quoted price.

I'm sure the Sherwin Williams product is a very good product. And, having worked for Pittsburgh Paints many years ago, I understand that paint stores have different pricing structures for different clients. For example, the paint a contractor would purchase for $3/gallon was the same paint a homeowner would purchase for $7/gallon-only the label was different. I'm sure that the Sherwin Williams store that I visited also has a similar pricing structure. Unfortunately for them, their store is just outside the entrance to Lowes, who offers me a price closer to their contractor price for a product that works just as well. Obviously I'm not their target customer-their bread and butter customer is the high volume contractor.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
A couple of years ago we decided to change color on an accent wall. I stopped by a Sherwin Williams store, looked at colors, and asked about the price. It was almost $50/gallon for interior flat latex.

I took the color chips to Lowes and had them mix what I needed to that color. It went on just fine, and the cost was less than 1/2 of Sherwin Williams quoted price.

I'm sure the Sherwin Williams product is a very good product. And, having worked for Pittsburgh Paints many years ago, I understand that paint stores have a different pricing structures for different clients. For example, the paint a contractor would purchase for $3/gallon was the same paint a homeowner would purchase for $7/gallon-only the label was different. I'm sure that the Sherwin Williams store that I visited also has a similar pricing structure. Unfortunately for them, their store is just outside the entrance to Lowes, who offers me a price closer to their contractor price for a product that works just as well. Obviously I'm not their target customer-their bread and butter customer is the high volume contractor.

Even with contractor pricing for top of the line SW products, Behr's top of the line will usually be less, very often a lot less.

I do like SW's caulking their Power House 60 year caulking is great, and the price is very reasonable. That's about the only thing I buy from them now.

I made the switch from box box store paints to SW last year. I have read the comparisons... and I think it's bull. SW comes off the roller so much better. It doesn't splatter near as much and the finish is much more consistent, especially where you start and stop. The only place I've seen SW fall behind is it's brush-ability. It will lay down a nice line, but it takes a few more coats to finish up with a brush than I've seen with some other paints.

The price difference really isn't that much when you're looking at a top line big box paint and a comparable SW. Try it yourself.

Sign up for their email distribution too. 30% off coupons come around all the time and 40% off come a couple times a year. If you're proactive, you can stock up using 40% off coupons and have it tinted when you're ready to paint. They'll even exchange the paint at the 40% off price if you bought the wrong tint base for your color.

FWIW, my comparisons are SW SuperPaint to Valspar Signature/Ultra and Behr Premium Plus Ultra.

At my age I've slapped on about every brand of paint out there. I have come to rely on Behr as my go to paint. It's easy and convenient to get. It's especially nice when I need it and can get it on sale. I've used both their interior and exterior paints and the quality is as good as anything I've ever used before.

I use the behr on the walls, not the $40 a gallon stuff but the premium line i think is $28-32 a gallon. On the ceilings i use the glidden ceiling paint at $11 a gallon.

I put up some Valspar Signature from Lowes onto a room recently. The wife insisted we add some Floetrol to it. Brush marks smoothed out quite nicely, and roller marks are nonexistent. We did need two coats for coverage, but we were going from a eye-searing yellow to a pale green.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
SW paint is ok, nothing great though, IMO. I use BM paint because the customers are conditioned to ask for it. Lately some people have been requesting Behr paint, and I've used it. I can say in all honesty the HD Behr paint [top of the line premium paint] is better than the BM and SW paint, it is less costly too in most cases. Consumer reports speaks very highly of it as well. In fact I'd suggest you check it out on Consumer reports.

+1

Thanks. Since no one had particularly anything bad to say about S-W, I'm going to go with S-W. Real close by and I have coupons.

Wife will change her mind in a couple months about something and I'll have to re-paint anyway. If I don't like the S-W, I'll buy something else.

I have used S-W in the past and have found that a gallon seems to go farther than, for example, Behr.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
Thanks. Since no one had particularly anything bad to say about S-W, I'm going to go with S-W. Real close by and I have coupons.

Wife will change her mind in a couple months about something and I'll have to re-paint anyway. If I don't like the S-W, I'll buy something else.

I have used S-W in the past and have found that a gallon seems to go farther than, for example, Behr.

Now, if you are sure you are going to repaint this within a year or two, i'd buy much cheaper paint. Better paint is easier to clean etc. But i'd not spend $30 a gallon if its only going to be there a year or two. Heck i'd buy the cheapest if i knew i was going to redo it in a year or so, maybe even walmart paint.

Last edited:
I understand. A couple gallons of paint isn't that much. Besides, this is for my home where I don't mind spending a little more for quality, especially if the paint/painting is easier as a side effect.

In addition, the S-W store is about 2 miles round-trip whereas the closest HD is about 12 mile round-trip. So on top of fuel and my time, the wife will come with me to HD and fill the cart. She's retired and I'm semi-retired so we don't go out much (especially in this weather) so going to town always turns into an event. We'd probably stop for food too. Monetarily, it's a wash or I come out ahead. I just wanted to get a consensus on the product. If the S-W is on par with the rest, it will be fine.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Now, if you are sure you are going to repaint this within a year or two, i'd buy much cheaper paint. Better paint is easier to clean etc. But i'd not spend $30 a gallon if its only going to be there a year or two. Heck i'd buy the cheapest if i knew i was going to redo it in a year or so, maybe even walmart paint.

OilChanger, You're showing your age....'going to town is an event' LOL! I remember when 'going to town' on a Saturday was indeed an event. Enjoy your day.

They did a kitchen remodel at the community building, and repainted the kitchen as part of it. Afterwards, I wanted to use the same paint to repaint the attached multi-purpose room.

I found the can of S-W paint that had been left behind, and took it to the S-W store to get a couple of gallons more of the same stuff.

It was around $50 a gallon, and wasn't any better than the $30 a gallon Pittsburgh paint that I've used in the past.

Live and learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back