AME 15w-40 2004 JETTA TDI BEW 15k UOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to the site. There are plenty of image sharing sites that don't require an account. I used Tinypic to upload your image from the other forum.

33cvs6a.jpg

It looks like a 300% increase in iron over a 50% increase in mileage. I think 10,000 miles might be a better OCI for you. Although, with 345k on the clock, who knows.

Originally Posted By: brandini
Why are you using that oil vs Amsoil's recommended (and VW spec-meeting) European Oil?

+1 I used Amsoil European Formula for many years, switched over to Rotella T-6 to save some money.

I'd go with Rotella from now on and try a 8k interval. I was doing a 7.5K interval and the oil was just about done.

(I owned a diesel bug and diesel jetta for many years...)

Last edited:
Most interesting. The bypass works at keeping the particles low. Hopefully we will see UOAs when the odometer reaches 500,000 miles +!

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
What oil was used for the first 2 samples?

#1 Mobil 1 ESP Formula
#2 Mobil 1 ESP Formula

Why are you using that oil vs Amsoil's recommended (and VW spec-meeting) European Oil?

5w-30 was factory recommendation, and based on TDI Club discussion over time the thicker 5w-40 was the better way to go. There was also discussion of 15w-40 but not many embraced it because of cold weather operation and pumpability, and most being 15w-40 being dino oil.

I wanted to explore extended OCI so decided to try the AME 15w-40 synthetic for the additional thickness for the PD engine, low CCS viscosity of 4892 (similar to 30w), and high TBN of 12.

(wish the edit time was longer)

Overall this latest report is good, and so far the TBN is holding up well.

Iron is elevated but still in the green.

My only question is, is that purely due to accumulation of the extended OCI, an anomaly of the UOA, or has some problem started developing internally.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CT8
Most interesting. The bypass works at keeping the particles low. Hopefully we will see UOAs when the odometer reaches 500,000 miles +!

I sure hope so.

Only 154,000 miles to go, or about 5 years.

Originally Posted By: phaser

My only question is, is that purely due to accumulation of the extended OCI, an anomaly of the UOA, or has some problem started developing internally.

Iron isn't catastrophically high, but it tripled over your 10,000 mile interval. I'd probably be sticking with 10k if using this lube, or perhaps try Rotella T6 at that interval.

5w-30 was factory recommendation, and based on TDI Club discussion over time the thicker 5w-40 was the better way to go. There was also discussion of 15w-40 but not many embraced it because of cold weather operation and pumpability, and most being 15w-40 being dino oil.

I wanted to explore extended OCI so decided to try the AME 15w-40 synthetic for the additional thickness for the PD engine, low CCS viscosity of 4892 (similar to 30w), and high TBN of 12.

5w40 is actually the factory recommendation, with 5w30 as a suitable alternative if 5w40 isn't available.

Your particle count shows oil cleaner than new oil. Absolutely amazing the excellent job your bypass filter did. A filter analysis might show iron particles large enough to determine the type of wear that is taking place. A filter analysis may narrow your differential diagnosis.

Dave

Previous UOA had an Iron wear rate of 3.0 ppm/kmiles for the first 10,000 miles.
The new UOA has an Iron wear rate of 11.8 ppm/kmiles over the last 5000 miles.
That's a significant change, so you should do another sample in 5000 miles, and see if the incremental wear rate continues to increase. Maybe even shorten the sample interval to 3000?
TBN is still strong, but the Iron is getting close to topping 100, which is a conservative condemnation point for dumping the oil. I've seen other places go to 120 before condemning the oil.

Last edited:

Here's the 20k oil sample. Make up oil was 1/2 quart, not 1 quart as noted in the report.

I changed the oil when I pulled this sample. Could it have gone to 25k?

[img:center]
148d7yr.jpg
[/img]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back