2014 Nissan Rogue info needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks like we will be replacing Mrs. Jimmy's Honda Accord soon. She really likes the Nissan Rogue. She wants a smaller SUV type vehicle. I did search here and found lots of oil-related posts but not much on the car itself. If anyone has info on the Rogue or owns a late model Rogue I would appreciate all reviews and info, both good and bad, reliability details, repair/warranty issues, anything we can use to make a good decision. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
The CVTs aren't that reliable in the heavier Nissan products. You do have a 10 year 120000 mile warranty on it, though.

That warranty is only up to 2010 nissans.

Check out nicoclub.com lots of info there.

I have a 2013 and there are lots of noises from steering, dash etc., when driving on slightly bumpy roads. Fit and finish isn't a strong point of Nissan. Also, lately I've been getting some condensation in the oil. Another thing, Nissan paint is really soft, I've only got 14000 km on mine and already lots and lots of stone chips. Don't have anything good to say about their after sales service either. After you pay, they want you out the door, see ya. The stealerships service dept really sucks.

Originally Posted By: thunderfog
Originally Posted By: SF0059
Can you talk her into a CX-5?

We definitely like ours that we just purchased in November.

The CX-5 has a big boy transmission too! Not something that belongs in a golf cart or snowmobile.

Styling, interior is much nicer. Plus, it's the best driving cute ute out there!

My in-laws are on their second Rogue. I believe their current is a 2012, higher-end model.

I've driven both. I like them a lot. A little bit larger than my XV Crosstrek, very comfortable interior, good ride, power, etc.

The 2014 is a complete redesign. You need to test it or find someone who has one. My local dealership keeps all their new cars in a back lot, so I didn't even get to peak through one during my annual inspection trip. Instead, I got to look around a leftover 2012 Versa, 2013 Rogue, pimped out Murano and a GTR that they keep locked.

ref

My Dad's ex wife had one, I had the opportunity to ride in it on a road trip over a weekend.... IT WAS HORRIBLE, I'd steer clear.

A few thoughts after that weekend:

- It was incredibly loud inside on the highway.

- The engine/CVT combo made it hard to get out of your own way. Loud, buzzy and had no "GO".

- The interior was all hard plastic and felt cheap.

IMO lots of other small SUV's in that price that are of better value.

Got one as the engine was not healthy on my new Versa Note. I just traded it on the dealer I bought if from.
They have base rogue out the door for 21000. That incudes AWD with 4 wheel lock. Not wild about the CVT, but qr25de "ALTIMA" engine seems good (haven't had it over 3500 rpm yet) ride and 6/10ths handling is better than our new forester, forester is nicer ergo inside and more accommodating - plus the spouse gets 32MPG AVERAGE. Ive haven't acheived over 22mpg yet in the Rogue Select S with bluetooth!

takes 5Q of 5w30 oil BUT how do you get to the oil filter that's unde,r and, to the left of the harmonic balancer facing the passenger wheel well? Thru the well? Doesn't seem easy at first.

Last edited:
When we test-drove it, the thing that really put us off were the seats: even half an hour was too much, which was odd when so many reviewers raved about them. The interior felt small, it felt slow, even though it should be as fast as the Forester in theory, and the CVT reliability is still a question mark over the current models.

Given the reviews, I'd expected to like it, but we pretty much wrote it off after one drive. We just couldn't travel a thousand km in a weekend in those seats.

After seeing the problems with the early Nissan 2.5L engine, I convinced everyone in my family to avoid it. Maybe Nissan finally made a good 2.5L engine, but I am not taking that chance.

The QR25 2.5 engine is a great engine as long as you get a 2007 plus.

My mom has a 07 Altima 2.5 that essentially has the same power train as the Rogue. The 14 did see updates so it will be better.

Nissan CVT is not bad. Of course you will hear of bad ones. There are A LOT on the rd. They sell over 300,000 Altimas a year with CVT's. Add the Maximas, Muranos, Rogues, and the rest of the fleet ,and you will hear of some failures just like with every other make.

My moms Altima has had 1 problem in it's 117K life. The blower motor relay went bad. Other than that the car is great. I have done a couple of drain, and fills on the CVT with Nissan fluid.
Fluid changes, and 1 set of plugs, and that's it.

The CVTs aren't that reliable in the heavier Nissan products. You do have a 10 year 120000 mile warranty on it, though.

Nissan was an earlier adopter of CVT's back 10 years ago. Their transmission builder(JATCO?) and Nissan were on the learning curve and have made changes to accommodate. This is where most of bad rap comes from.

Things change over time. Prime example is Jeep Cherokee of late 1980's was rolling junk pile. They figured approaching the millennium and it turned into a reliable/durable vehicle.

Originally Posted By: rjundi

Nissan was an earlier adopter of CVT's back 10 years ago. Their transmission builder(JATCO?) and Nissan were on the learning curve and have made changes to accommodate. This is where most of bad rap comes from.

Things change over time. Prime example is Jeep Cherokee of late 1980's was rolling junk pile. They figured approaching the millennium and it turned into a reliable/durable vehicle.

You're right.

Jeep decided to ditch the motorcraft carburetor, GM engine and Chrysler 3 speed auto. Instead, they moved to an AMC engine, Toyota transmission and fuel injection. That made the vehicles legendary.

Nissan needs to ditch their defective CVTs and move back to a 'big boy' transmission, not something that belongs in a snowmobile or John Deere gator.

They have had nearly 10 years to sort the bugs out of their CVTs ... it hasn't happened. Read any of the consumer reviews for any of their recent products - it's all CVT failures. Kind of like how Chrysler stuck to the 42RE transmission for 20 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back