house Paint Amount Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many gallons would I need to paint Three walls of a 20' X 20' double car garage? Just need the three walls (garage door is steel so no paint needed there) and ceiling was painted prior to moving in.

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
I'm guessing two gallons - but there are alot of variables here

I would agree with this. Check the label on a can of your preferred paint: it usually says how many square feet it covers.

a gallon of house paint usually covers 300-400 sqft and you'll need at least 2 coats.
20x8x3= 480sqft

480/300=1.6 gallons per coat

I'd buy 3 gallons of paint but 2 would probably get the job done.

If going over another colour you'll need to prime it first to guarantee no bleed through.
And the paint can should say how many square feet it covers.
Or message Dermapaint. My bet is he'll know off the top of his head.

Lightly sand the drywall (120 grit) before you prime or paint.
You will help adhesion and remove any painted over dust specs etc.

Cut in the edges and corners as you go. maintaining a 'Wet edge'
will prevent paint build up.

As long as you're not having the paint mixed to another color, buy more than you need and return what you don't use(unopened cans).
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Clevy
If going over another colour you'll need to prime it first to guarantee no bleed through.
And the paint can should say how many square feet it covers.
Or message Dermapaint. My bet is he'll know off the top of his head.

A little under 2 gallons should do it. No need to prime previously painted clean, sound, non-glossy surfaces. A color change will need 2 coats.

What is the temperature inside the garage? This time of the year is a little tricky for painting the interior of an unheated garage. It should be no less than 45-50*F while painting and for about 48 hours after. HTH

definitely prime to avoid bleed through as suggested. buy two gallons first. when you run out, you can guesstimate if you can get by with a quart. I hate buying a gallon of paint, when a quart could have done it.

Last edited:
Actually the walls have been painted twice since the original 'contractor white' was used when built. Once with a funky dark green, then with a tan/light brown colour. you cannot see the green, but I can tell when you get to some of the edges it was there due to it being overlaid and not accurate. you have to look to see it, but it's there. otherwise you'd never know it. I just want to bring it back to the 'contractor white' because I like the garage being 'lit up' better with white. Currently the temps are not too bad, in the 60's outside and about 10* colder in garage. During the freezing tempos we had last week, it never got below about 45-50* .

Originally Posted By: Propflux01
Actually the walls have been painted twice since the original 'contractor white' was used when built. Once with a funky dark green, then with a tan/light brown colour. you cannot see the green, but I can tell when you get to some of the edges it was there due to it being overlaid and not accurate. you have to look to see it, but it's there. otherwise you'd never know it. I just want to bring it back to the 'contractor white' because I like the garage being 'lit up' better with white. Currently the temps are not too bad, in the 60's outside and about 10* colder in garage. During the freezing tempos we had last week, it never got below about 45-50* .

If the surface is sound and there is no bleeding from water stains, nicotine, etc. you can simply apply two coats of paint. You can always prime it if you'd like, but I'd still put two coats over the primer. If you do decide to prime, Zinsser 123 primer will do the job nicely.

For the interior of garages I also prefer to use exterior paint, such as BM Moorgard. It can handle temperature swings, dampness, mildew, etc. much better than an interior grade paint can.

Don't wait too much longer as the cold weather can sometimes come on very fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back