Tool Storage - cost effective chest options

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 1foxracing
My stuff is way to neat and clean because since May of this year I have replaced most of my tools. I was a Snap On user for many years until I tried to warranty a 1/2 drive hex bit that I turned into a licorice stick. My dealer (of 13 years!) refused to replace it so I ended up mailing it back to Snap On and they did replace it. I was still pretty soured over the situation with my dealer so I decided to sell all my Snap On and replace it with Wright Tool stuff. Whatever Wright didn't make I purchased SK tool stuff.
Wright Tool factory is just down the street from my office so if I need to replace anything it's a quick phone call then drive over.
I did make a video recently of the box & contents for anyone that wants to suffer through it.

I have had snap-on refuse to honor a warrantee also. I haven't bought a snap-on tool because of it for over 30 years. There are plenty of companies willing to stand behind their products, snap-on is just over priced average nothing special tools. Some of their stuff is junk IMO.

I was lucky to have a top notch Snap-On sales rep. He would price match Mac or get as close as he could and would ALWAYS warranty tools. I still own a variety of brands because I tried to get the most for my money but I would not call Snap-On's quality average. I have broke Snap-On sockets then put on another brand that would round the head off the fastener. That should say something for the grip. The flank drive wrenches are also head and shoulders above anything else I have used. There's plenty of quality brands out there but Snap-On is certainly among the top ones. Kinda getting off of topic, just wanted to share a positive experience amongst all the negative ones.

When I was looking for tool storage I spent time reading every review I could find. Tool truck boxes always got the best reviews. I thought about spending the big bucks for a brag worthy set. I even had wifey's permission to make the purchase but I just couldn't bring myself to spend so much money for something that was only going to store my tools. So I started looking at the stuff sold by online vendors and settled on something from Strictly Toolboxes. Before I sent off my money, i decided to stop by my nearest Harbor Freight store. I'm really glad I did. The 44" top and bottom that I bought were really impressive for what I paid. Far betterquality than anything with Craftsman or Kobalt on it. I've read plenty of negative comments about Harbor Freight products. I understand that most of us would rather have "made in USA" stamped on our tools but i really have to say that the quality of the stuff coming out of Harbor Freight is really pretty good. It's not Snap On quality but then again I can't see spending what Snap On wants for a set of wrenches let alone one of their roll aways. I'd love to have a garage full of the most expensive tools available but I'm willing to settle for a garage full of cost effective tools that still get the job done. The Harbor Freight box has been great since I've owned it. No complaints at all.

Valentine

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back