Mopar MO-90 cut open with goodies...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two lessons here:

1) Oil filters do go into bypass

2) High filter efficiency can be problematic in dirty engines

The anecdotal stories of start up noise when using some high efficiency filters makes more sense when you think engines like this are out there.

I also want to suggest (stress!) to the OP that 5w30 isn't a good choice for his friends 4.0 in Texas especially at those intervals. 10w30 should be what that thing gets year round. Its been said here they can shear down a 5w30 to a 5w20 in under 3000 miles. RP could be very shear stable.. I have no idea. The OM says 10w30 for anything above 0*F. If anything, go by that.

Lets not forget this OCI was stretch to 7000 on budget 5w30 oil. If anything, I think the sludge issue was worsened.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
Two lessons here:

The anecdotal stories of start up noise when using some high efficiency filters makes more sense when you think engines like this are out there.

Where is the proof the filter was ever in bypass?

My 4.0 has almost 220,000 miles on it & it doesn't look like that! Get some XG8As off eBay or Amazon & run some cheap synthetic like Super Tech through it, make sure the thermostat keeps the coolant temperature up around 195F, & that your PCV system is working (on mine there is vacuum at the breather hose connected to the air filter housing)-you'll clean it up.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Originally Posted By: SilverC6
Two lessons here:

Where is the proof the filter was ever in bypass?

It was the assumption in other posts in this thread.

But I would offer the proof is staring you in the face when you look at the photo of the sludge clogged filter.

And candidly, if oil filters didn't go into bypass, oil filters wouldn't have bypasses.

Where is your proof otherwise?

That filters go into bypass immediately on start up with very cold oil is very likely true as has been shown on here with real delta p data. But this picture does not prove that the filter was in bypass under warm/hot oil conditions. Maybe it is/maybe it isn't but without some pressure data it is still speculation.

I submit the following for consideration:

Case 1: If the bypass valve area wasn't similarly gunked up, then the bypass valve probably didn't open, as no flow occurred to have gunk lodge there.

Case 2: If the bypass valve area was gunked up, the bypass valve probably opened to allow oil (& some gunk not trapped in the media) flowed through it.

I can't tell from the pictures though.

Last edited:
I'd say this filter probably went into bypass way more than one with no sludge packed in between the pleats.

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Sludge packed into the pleats near the base plates must have added some strength to the media and prevented tearing ... LOL.
laugh.gif

I'm a Puro fan-boy (well, Motorcraft really) and even I found that funny...
grin2.gif

grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
That filters go into bypass immediately on start up with very cold oil is very likely true as has been shown on here with real delta p data. But this picture does not prove that the filter was in bypass under warm/hot oil conditions. Maybe it is/maybe it isn't but without some pressure data it is still speculation.

So contrast the viscosity of this very sludge laden motor oil with clean 15W-40 motor oil during a cold winter start.

The stuff in the filter looks more like 85W-90 or heavier gear lube than a motor oil.

And it's probable that the vehicle was run in some cold weather during its lengthy OCI (unless the OP is in Galveston).

The assumption that bypass occurred is not very speculative at all.

It's almost a certainty.

Originally Posted By: DSparks
Some house brand either walmart st or oriellys...not sure which one...thats what has been going in it ever since he got it couple years ago....

To me that oil looks like like a good cleaning oil. Compared to pics of other cut filters. Was a motor flush used before you cut the filter?

That filter is big enough to cost you a mpg or two in additional weight.
smile.gif

On the plus side, with a relatively clean engine, you could change it every leap year and still be good.

Looks like a Motorcraft Oil Filter... Has the bypass at the top of the filter.. Steal endcaps that have them Dimples , I guess for extra strength

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
WOW that is really sludged up... That mopar filter looks like a rebadged purolator and it seems to have held up very well. I don't see the usual purolator wavy media or tears. this one is nice. This is how they used to look before their quality lapse

actually it looks like a Motorcraft... it has bypass at top and even has the dimples on the Metal End Caps.

So let me gets this right.. If the oil filter was nice and clean what would you think???

I agree he needs to go less miles for his OCI.. however the oil filter has the dirt in the element... It did its job and is time for a new one.

Let me guess if its was clean you might think it was stuck in bypass..

Whats wrong with a dirty oil filter??? IMO that means it did its job.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: David1
That filter did its JOB.

Good and DIRTY.... Somtimes I see oil filters cut open and the are clean and I wonder if the filter let the dirt pass by???

What's the logic behind that comment?

If anything this sludged up filter probaby caused the filter to go into bypass quite a bit and caused dirty oil to bypass the filter.

Owner of that vehicles needs to change oil way before 7K miles on that dirty engine.

That is the type of engine that I would find the largest oil filter that would fit. Help catch all that sludge and not go into bypass as soon or as often.

ROD

Originally Posted By: David1

So let me gets this right.. If the oil filter was nice and clean what would you think???

I agree he needs to go less miles for his OCI.. however the oil filter has the dirt in the element... It did its job and is time for a new one.

Let me guess if its was clean you might think it was stuck in bypass..

Whats wrong with a dirty oil filter??? IMO that means it did its job.

Sure, a dirty oil filter "did its job", but you missed the point ... that is, you shouldn't leave a filter on too long on a dirty engine as you'll run the risk of it going into bypass too often. If the media is visually super loaded up in 7K miles, then that is a dirty engine.

Mopar is made by purolator but this filter according to the way the pictures look held up very well. Hopefully they are getting better that would be nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back