Toyota / Lexus front fascia styling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this a Cylon helmet or the front of current model Toyota and Lexus cars --->
16.gif

The low slung trapezoidal grille look they're in love with looks butt ugly to me and reminds me of either some mutant Japanese Anime robot face or a Cylon from the original Battlestar Galactica in 1978.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Is this a Cylon helmet or the front of current model Toyota and Lexus cars --->
16.gif

The low slung trapezoidal grille look they're in love with looks butt ugly to me and reminds me of either some mutant Japanese Anime robot face or a Cylon from the original Battlestar Galactica in 1978.

Agreed....but like some women...after a while even the ugliest grilles can be overcome with superior performance and reliability........
13.gif

Some of it is angle. I saw a prius with the cow catcher in a different color and angle and it looked OK.

Toyota styling in general is pretty dumpy. I think their heyday was in the mid 1990s. Back then even the camry looked decent. And the supra from that era to me is still a classic style.

Infiniti has the snarl thing going to on their SUV...

QX56_1.jpg

It's a visual atrocity with upper and lower grills, fog lights, mounting hardware, a little square for the headlight washers, some buick portholes, and the ubiquitous diagonal seam between bumper skin and fender.

Though I see the family resemblance to the nissan van that wishes it were an econoline, but reminds me of "Mutt Cuts" from Dumb & Dumber.

I get that they don't want it round, they don't want cadillac-style sharp angles, and they don't want it boxy, nor blobby. But something in the middle.

/rant

Originally Posted By: eljefino

QX56_1.jpg

That's one of the ugliest vehicles Ive seen in recent memory...

But I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I'm being kind in saying Lexus was on the edge of boredom in their styling.

The new front end perks it up a bit and might bring some folks under 50 into the showroom.

The geezers will still be buying.

They will just throw a zippy Sinatra CD in instead of listening to "I Did It My Way" on repeat.

Ah, toyota, what a feeling.

When you have no distinguishable history, something that readily identifies what your car is and thru the ages to folks who dont even know or care of cars..say the Benz star or the RR lady or the BMW roundel, the Chevy bow tie, the Ford blue oval... you have to rely on style or marketing over substance. At least with lexus..a completely made up name, btw..makes sense...they're at least being honest in presenting that what they're offering is fluff anyway. That some consider this a "luxury car" and are willing to spend upwards of $100k means the last laugh is on us....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: eljefino

QX56_1.jpg

That's one of the ugliest vehicles Ive seen in recent memory...

But I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Nissan/Infiniti seems to be going for the marine mammal look recently.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Some of it is angle. I saw a prius with the cow catcher in a different color and angle and it looked OK.

Toyota styling in general is pretty dumpy. I think their heyday was in the mid 1990s. Back then even the camry looked decent. And the supra from that era to me is still a classic style.

I had 1982 Red/Black Supra for a few years, it was 1 of the best looking coupe in that decade.

Originally Posted By: Noey

When you have no distinguishable history, something that readily identifies what your car is and thru the ages to folks who dont even know or care of cars..say the Benz star or the RR lady or the BMW roundel, the Chevy bow tie, the Ford blue oval... you have to rely on style or marketing over substance. At least with lexus..a completely made up name, btw..makes sense...they're at least being honest in presenting that what they're offering is fluff anyway. That some consider this a "luxury car" and are willing to spend upwards of $100k means the last laugh is on us....

Lincoln, Mercury and Acura are only glorified Fords and Hondas. At least Lexus has the guts to design individual platforms and powertrains way different from Toyota. They spent a lot in R&D when they designed the LS400 to get their name into the wild, while others just badge-engineer.

Last edited:
I really like the new look. Internally to Lexus, the grill design is called the "spindle." Not sure if it's hit the public with that info yet. They went through literally thousands of choices, I like the choice they made.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

I had 1982 Red/Black Supra for a few years, it was 1 of the best looking coupe in that decade.

The early-mid 90's Toyota MR2's were a very well done classic look. Mid engine, I believe. True sports cars. Rare and prized now, especially the turbo optioned ones.

So you are not into the camry with more soundproofing either?
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: wirelessF

Lincoln, Mercury and Acura are only glorified Fords and Hondas. At least Lexus has the guts to design individual platforms and powertrains way different from Toyota. They spent a lot in R&D when they designed the LS400 to get their name into the wild, while others just badge-engineer.

Oh, I agree that Lincoln and Acura are just glorified..although it's unclear to me exactly what the glory there is. Lincoln, a sad deterioration from a once great product, at least Ford is trying some reinvention. Acura? Honda? Luxury? What do they know about luxury? Can luxury be manufactured by a company with no history or product? If so, can I make a credible luxury car?

I have a hard time with toyota, a humble company that has based (fooled?) it's reputation on bullet proof reliability and durability marketing a large car..even with exclusive engineering and dealerships...as true luxury. Especially when they are such blatant styling rip offs of earlier S class Mercedes and BMW 7 series. Corporations that have achieved acknowledgement as true luxury cars lead, they don't so self consciously follow. That's confidence.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Doog
after a while even the ugliest grilles can be overcome with superior performance and reliability........

Says you (concerning the bolded and italicized above).

Not everyone agrees with those over-popular generalizations.
31.gif

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger

I agree, I think it's hideous. To me, it looks like a bad take on the old "Predator" franchise.

Next car will be a prior generation LS430/460, and later I will skip this generation of Lexus. I couldn't drive something that ugly.

Lexus-RC-350-004.jpg

predator.jpg

Last edited:
Yuk...Darth Vader mask! Glad to hear I'm not the only one who sees the same common threads: Very over-the-top, edgy, angular agressive styling. Cars that look like the robot cartoons they grew up with...where the front bumpers have to be removed just to replace a light bulb.....not very practical.

Yes, the impracticality of it was the 2nd thought to my mind after "yuck." It looks entirely gimmicky and not really done to enhance aerodynamics or cooling in an important way. And it looks incredibly difficult/expensive to repair, and much more likely to be damaged in the first place.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back