Cable or satellite?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Originally Posted By: Chuckinator
My bill went up this month to $145 and change from $123 something.

Any input and experience would help. Thank you

One hundred and forty five dollars each month? One hundred and twenty three dollars each month? Just to sit around and watch the idiot box?

If you really want input-get rid of the TV and do something productive with all the extra time and money you save. After a while you'll be amazed at how refreshing it is not to be tied to a television. And as all that money you were shelling out begins to accrue in your bank account, you'll realize how foolish those who dole out the exorbitant monthly dues just to pretend to be entertained are, and how refreshing it is not to be one of the TV watching masses.

The resident moral police enforcement of the BITOG has struck again. Rather than count your blessings this whole act of thou shall do is rather rude. If someone wants to watch TV let them watch TV.

Really a good deep friend meal and lay off the cooked flax seeds would do wonders for your testosterone and mood. I recommend giving this a try but it is only a recommendation.

Originally Posted By: dave1251

One hundred and forty five dollars each month? One hundred and twenty three dollars each month? Just to sit around and watch the idiot box?

If you really want input-get rid of the TV and do something productive with all the extra time and money you save. After a while you'll be amazed at how refreshing it is not to be tied to a television. And as all that money you were shelling out begins to accrue in your bank account, you'll realize how foolish those who dole out the exorbitant monthly dues just to pretend to be entertained are, and how refreshing it is not to be one of the TV watching masses.

The resident moral police enforcement of the BITOG has struck again. Rather than count your blessings this whole act of thou shall do is rather rude. If someone wants to watch TV let them watch TV.

Really a good deep friend meal and lay off the cooked flax seeds would do wonders for your testosterone and mood. I recommend giving this a try but it is only a recommendation.

Plus, if he got rid of his TV, how would he know which way to face his furniture?

And somehow sitting around ("being tied to") surfing the web is considered more of a value?

If a person enjoys watching professional sports TV is a great thing and a bargain compared to watching the real games and serious timesaver! I don't have full cable(I pay $15 for reception+$100 for phone/internet as a telecommuter) so I go to sports bars typically with friends also without cable or the real games. Either choice is far more expensive but I won't die and regret it either.

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
Neither. I cut the cord years ago. I have internet which I have voip phone service running on. There is not a show,movie,game that I can't get.

+1

this guy drives a Porsche, he knows things about saving money for important things
smile.gif

I'm trying to picture a crowd of people eating wings, munching celery and dip, drinking beverages, high fiving.... while watching a streaming sporting event on a computer for 4 hours....to save about 3 bucks a day.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gman2304
I'm trying to picture a crowd of people eating wings, munching celery and dip, drinking beverages, high fiving.... while watching a streaming sporting event on a computer for 4 hours....to save about 3 bucks a day.

I think the average laptop has HDMI output these days... Or the average TV has WIFI...

How about watching on a 55" HD smart TV?

If you drop the cable for a short period of time they'll hook you back up with a promo rate. You just have to flinch first. Do it in between sports seasons if that's important.

We could add cable to our Google fiber for $70. We'd like to but that $70 would almost fill the RV tank once a month and/or pay for other things. For now there's Netflix/Youtube and about 20 OTA channels.

You laugh, but that $3 (or whatever it may be) per day adds up pretty quick.

+1 on having a smart TV. You can also buy some cables that allow a lap top to played on an old school rear projection.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
I use an antenna connected to a DVR that works off an antenna. I can record more TV than I can watch, and there is no monthly fee.

Not everybody can stand watching "I Love Lucy" and "Mash" reruns all day though...

Originally Posted By: grampi
Originally Posted By: dave1251

Plus, if he got rid of his TV, how would he know which way to face his furniture?

Now come on, this is some funny stuff right here! I can't even get one like?

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
I use an antenna connected to a DVR that works off an antenna. I can record more TV than I can watch, and there is no monthly fee.

Not everybody can stand watching "I Love Lucy" and "Mash" reruns all day though...

Mash yes. I Love Lucy not so much..

Gilligans Island
Rockford Files
Seinfeld
Andy Griffith
McHales Navy
Twilight Zone
The Partridge Family
Dukes of Hazzard
Cheers/ Frasier

That pretty much sums up which reruns I like. No particular order. All available on DVD too.
smile.gif

I LOL'd a little.
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

And somehow sitting around ("being tied to") surfing the web is considered more of a value?

Exactly what I was thinking. Funny how people only see things through their own rose colored glasses.

I'll give you a like!

Last edited:
Exactly.

While I think cable is a waste, I can think of a few programs that I would thoroughly enjoy watching each week.. Most of which I can get online. I prefer internet because I control what I watch and don't have to view as many (if any..) commercials.
I can think of a lot of sites on the web that I prefer too.. others are junk.

Like any form of entertainment, moderation is important. If all a person does is sit around and/ or browse the web or watch TV then they have some issues which need addressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back