RTV Piece Inside Valvetrain

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was changing my valve cover gasket, and was removing some of the old RTV. A piece of the old grey RTV (thin 1 cm long) went inside the engine. Every time I tried to get it out I pushed it further and further into the valvetrain until I couldn't see it or feel it anymore. Doh! I just left is inside the engine. I feel like this must happen once in a while to mechanics and the RTV piece shouldn't harm the engine. This is on a BMW M54 engine, about 2000 km ago, runs the same. Should I be concerned about my engine? Change the oil sooner? What would happen to the RTV? Would it get chewed up by the valvetrain and filtered out by the oil filter?

Last edited:
Depending on how big the piece is it 'might' get sucked up to your oil pump screen, but will probably just float around not harming anything. You're probably going to get some 'end of the world' responses but after 2,000 km's I wouldn't worry about it.

Personally I wouldn't get too excited about it. I have removed oil pans and covers where fairly large blobs of sealant had oozed out from a factory installation. Surely some of those broke off on some engine somewhere and probably did no harm.

If you really want to remove the engine and do a complete tear down, go ahead. But I challenge you to find the piece
wink.gif

I'd agree that wherever it is... it's there by now and apparently isn't going to end the world.

I don't understand if you were doing the valve cover where it slipped into? The drain back to the sump (not a big deal) or otherwise?

Originally Posted By: bepperb
I don't understand if you were doing the valve cover where it slipped into? The drain back to the sump (not a big deal) or otherwise?

I think it went under the valve spring.

I would have used a small nozzle on a shop vacuum or forceps.

I would not worry about it.

But if your engine does fall out, the sealant was most certainly the cause.

I know of a small child who neatly lined up pebbles on the intake side of the jet engine in his uncles plane. That would be something to worry about. (It was noticed before the engine was started).

Last edited:
No big deal at all. I've dropped bolts and nuts into some engines and nothing bad has ever happened. One of my friends dropped a 1/4 inch socket down a 400 Chevy v8 intake manifold. When he started it up nothing at all happened and we never found the socket. I think it ate it and blew the bits out the back. I wouldn't lose sleep over it at all. especially since it happened 2000 miles ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back