Ram 3500 6.4 Hemi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Earlier this year I bought a Ram 3500 with the 6.4 Hemi engine. I bought it over the phone and really didn't do much research on that particular model because I thought my '07 Ram 3500 was going to be in the shop for an extended period. One of the things I learned about my new truck is that it requires 0W-40 synthetic oil. I tried searching this forum to see if there were any discussions on this engine and oil, but didn't find any. Can anyone here tell me their experience with this engine/oil? Thanks!

Can you tell us what specifications the owner's manual requires for warranty?

Mobil 1 0w-40 comes to mind given its use in many high end, high-power vehicles... But the 0w-40 pennzoil that I understand to be FF for SRT vehicles also comes to mind...

Quote:

I'll get back to you tomorrow. It's cold, windy, and snowing outside!

As it is for most Americans; difference being we are not paralyzed by it.... j/k.

Last edited:
Quote:
Engine Oil Viscosity – 6.4L Engine
Use Pennzoil UltraTM 0W40 engine or equivalent
MOPAR oil meeting the Chrysler Material Standard
MS-12633 for use in all operating temperatures.
The engine oil filler cap also shows the recommended
engine oil viscosity for your engine. For information on
engine oil filler cap location, refer to the “Engine Compartment”
in this section.

Around here Pennzoil Ultra 0W-40 is like a Thing U just read about in Books.

If you don't have access to it--->I would not hesitate to pour in M1 0W-40.

I'll get my share of it tomorrow for 10 hours, but it's supposed to get up to 40. If the wind doesn't blow, it'll be ok.

Pep Boys now has the Pennzoil Ultra that is specific to MOPAR engines. If there is a "Buy 5 quarts get a filter" sale, you could save a good deal of money. When those sales go on, any extra quarts of oil are discounted.

Or, just go to Wal Mart, get a filter, and pay about $26 for a 5 quart container of 0w40. They have M1 and Castrol black edge.

I've got a 2500 HD with the 6.4 Hemi as well, the $100 oil changes are a big surprise..lol. The 0w40 averages. $10 a quart and the truck takes 7 quarts. I would be careful using other oils, some guys on other forums have tried and have had issues with the truck. Ram prob put a sensor in there to help penzoil sell more oil..lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back