Help me pick out the best oil and filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, Outstanding forum you guys have here! I am proud to be a member.
I am looking for the best oil and filter combination for my truck. Its a 97 Chevy Tahoe,5.7 Liter with 140,000 miles. I put approximately 6,000 miles a year on it.I only use it on weekends for short trips and sees the highway occasionally. I don't tow with it at all. It does not leak oil and of course it has the dreaded lifter tick at first cold startup. currently I have the oil changed at my friends shop and I do know they use a "Blend" oil. I cannot recall the name. What do you recommend for an oil and filter combo?

You are going to get several opinions and probably all will be good. You have 140K miles on a 97 5.3 and you say it has no leaks. You did not mention if the vehicle is running fine but I assume it is. Therefore, why change what you are using now?

However, if you want to possibly change what you have been doing my first suggestion would be Kendall full synthetic with a NAPA Gold filter. I have never seen a bad Kendall blend or full synthetic UOA and I believe all will agree that the NAPA Gold is a great filter. You can get Kendall full synthetic online for a very reasonable price.

My second suggestion from be AMSOIL Signature Series again with a NAPA Gold filter. This would be a bit more expensive but since you are only changing once a year it may make perfect sense.

Any oil with the ratings your engine requires and a wix filter or a napa gold (made by wix) It's harder to find a bad oil than it is to find a bad filter. Wix is generally a decent filter.

Originally Posted By: Bud_One
Originally Posted By: abycat
pyb and a fram orange can.

+1 or an AC Delco PF1218

good call. I'm pretty die hard fram but that would be a great filter too!

Yes I did not mention the that truck runs great. No complaints at all. It has 60 psi at cold start and 20 psi at warm idle.

Last edited:
With a short tripper and 6k per year, letting your buddy do the work at his shop twice a year should be fine. He's almost certainly using an oil certified by API and a filter that will perform well in your application.

If you start to see small leaks or a little consumption, then a high mileage oil would be reasonable.

Welcome to BITOG!

personally i would not use the fram orange can they are sloppy junk and overpriced wix makes a lot of different filters they are not all cheap but most of them are good

Use Fram Ultra with any name brand oil of the wt your engine calls for
If in doubt just run a 5-30 and change it once a year
The filter will be good for 2 oil changes but you might not be ready for this yet
Since you are new here it takes awhile to convince yourself that this is OK

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
Use Fram Ultra with any name brand oil of the wt your engine calls for
If in doubt just run a 5-30 and change it once a year
The filter will be good for 2 oil changes but you might not be ready for this yet
Since you are new here it takes awhile to convince yourself that this is OK

Geez your not kidding. I remember when the majority of people hated fram. So I can do 2 oci's with the TG?

The tg is rated from Fram for 10k miles so I would go that far with however many oil changes it takes-probably 2
You should be fine for 10k
If you want to gofor 15k just use the Ultra

Don't use the orange Frams! The rest of the Frams (the more expensive Frams) are okay... but don't use the OCOD! I used an orange Fram on my truck before I knew any better.

Well, the truck ran really bad, and the op gauge was showing red (no pressure)... so we parked it back in our garage, and we were gonna change the oil again and put a different filter on...

That orange Fram was stuck. I don't know if it collapsed on the inside or what!? But we couldn't get it off with our hands. And no, it was not applied too tightly when it was installed. In the end we wound up using a crow bar to get it off!

Moral of the story: Orange Frams are bad.

~ Triton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back