Piston soak

Status
Not open for further replies.
just wondering what's the best product to try.

goal is to try and free up some piston rings that may be stuck on a heavily sludged up tractor engine.

I've got all winter to let it soak.

seafoam?
MMO?

something else?

Last edited:
WD40 works great. 10 sec spray into each spark plug hole. Wait 24 hours and repeat a few times.

Last edited:
WD won't 'stay around' much and ATF has no detergent qualities. I've been using PB Blaster lately and it works. Seafoam could be good. I shoot some in each cylinder each day for a few and turn/crank the engine after. I've also used Yamaha carbon remover that's designed to cut carbon on 2 stroke outboards, ect. You probably have an inline engine and will get a good, even ring soak with what ever you use-good luck

I used Kroil on my Ford 9N with good results.Change the oil after the smoke clears as all that gunk will be in the crankcase.

Last edited:
Keep meaning to do this on our 3.5L shortstar but never have.

Anyways when I had a poulan leak blower torn down to do head gasket and ring I coated the piston with M1 20w50 over night and the next day 90% of the carbon wiped right off with a paper towel. Not sure how that stacks up bit seemed impressive to me.

Being a tractor engine i assume its an inline? Thats a good thing as you can really submerge them.
Use Kroil about 3-4 oz down each cyl and leave it. On a 4 cyl you should be able to get all 4 mid stroke so you can get that amount in there.

Do not use GM or Chrysler TEC they contain an mild acid that over an extended period like thats could etch the walls. Overnight is not an issue.
Kroil has carbon cleaning and penetrating abilities second to none of the non acid products, it contains no acid.
It is harmless even when it gets in the oil which it will over time. You can buy it in gallon cans from Kano Labs.

EZ Off oven cleaner works. But, don't leave in for too long....

In fact, oven cleaner is the only thing I've ever found that actually does work.

Last edited:
Glad you brought that up. I have a full gallon of LC downstairs and forgot to try it on something. It sounds promising and not expensive.

i think ill try to find some kriol and use that.

it gets rave reviews on the reloader's nest for cleaning carbon deposits in firearms as well

in the mean time i might use PB blaster as i have that on hand.

i dont know if it will help or not as i think i have a scored cylinder wall, but it wont hurt ...

thanks again!

i dumped about a half bottle down across all 4 cylinders.

how long before you suppose all of that ends up in the crank case?

that is to say, when should i go out there and add some more?

can't find kroil anywhere, so i'm going to keep trying seafoam, MMO, and PBblaster/Penetrol 90 in the mean time.

Originally Posted By: meborder

can't find kroil anywhere, so i'm going to keep trying seafoam, MMO, and PBblaster/Penetrol 90 in the mean time.

Unknown. However, eventually all of the solvent will seep past the rings and end up in the sump. That's one reason why I suggested oven cleaner, as it tends to stay in place long enough to do it's job.

Originally Posted By: meborder

It will take a while before it gets into the crankcase but it will get there sooner or later. To get a better soak after filling the cylinders try this: Crank the engine over if you can with a breaker bar. Or just tweak it with the starter every 8 hours or so. Then pour more of your favorite cleaner in, let is soak of 8 or so hours and repeat. I did one a while back and let Kreen sit for 48 hours, using the time table I mentioned above. Before you start the engine crank it over to get any excess product out of the cylinders before you put the plugs back in. Clean up the mess, start the car, warm it up and dump the oil and filter.

well, that's kind of what i did here tonight.

all the plugs are out and you can run the starter with the ignition off, so i spun it over for a second or two with the starter, and nothing came out of the spark plug holes.

so i sprayed some PB blaster in each hole. i gave it a good 10 seconds spray in each hole let it sit for 20 minutes or so, then hit the starter again for a second or two and again nothing came out of the spark plug holes. so i gave each hole another 5 or so second spray and there she sits.

i guess i'm not real surprised nothing came out. for one, i think the rings are probably either shot or stuck. for two, these have like 5 or 6 to one compression ... so it might take quite a bit to fill the cylinders up .... it is a 4 inch bore, after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back