New smartphone with smaller screen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, the Mini is just about identical to my Razr M, however, it does have slightly upgraded internals such as newer CPU, GPU, higher res screen, and more RAM. I'll keep it in mind.

On the negative, they removed the external SD card slot from the Mini, so you are limited to only the internal storage which is 16 GB, and some of that is taken up by Android OS. That sucks. I currently have an external 32 GB card in my Razr M, and I use majority of it for storing music and videos.

I here the flip phone is coming back in vogue!

I am beyond happy with my iPhone 6 (first time with Apple) due to size and shape factor. I thought it would be way too big coming from flip phone and then iPhone 4.

I have read, since I posted the recommendation, that despite the 720p resolution of the Mini's screen, the display may not competitive in terms of color intensity, clarity, etc. Lack of an SD card slot doesn't bother me in the least (my 16 GB iPhone currently has 5 GB of free space), but that may be a deal-breaker...especially if you're taking up most of a 32 GB external card!

Originally Posted By: rjundi

I am beyond happy with my iPhone 6 (first time with Apple) due to size and shape factor. I thought it would be way too big coming from flip phone and then iPhone 4.

Yeah that's been my experience too. I've never understood the teeth gnashing about larger phones say around 4.5-5.5. It is barely noticeable in the pocket but the extra screen real estate is very noticeable in a positive way.

Originally Posted By: VeeDubb
Originally Posted By: rjundi

Yeah that's been my experience too. I've never understood the teeth gnashing about larger phones say around 4.5-5.5. It is barely noticeable in the pocket but the extra screen real estate is very noticeable in a positive way.

I agree. Not only is the larger screen nice, but a larger form factor means more room for a battery.

Samsung Galaxy Note 2 user

I've never understood the teeth gnashing about larger phones say around 4.5-5.5. It is barely noticeable in the pocket

You must have big pockets.
smile.gif

Also, the bigger the screen, the harder it makes it to operate with one hand, especially if you have shorter fingers.

I wear Levis 513s or 514s 32 waist. So not big pockets. But you are right about one handed use though some phones like the Note come with software that facilitates one handed typing even on a big screen.

I've never understood the teeth gnashing about larger phones say around 4.5-5.5. It is barely noticeable in the pocket but the extra screen real estate is very noticeable in a positive way.

A 4" screen has about 8.4 sq. in. of area. A 5" screen has about 11.4 sq. in. of area. That's nearly a 40% increase. For most phones, a 40% increase in screen size also means a 40% in phone size. When in the confines of a pocket, a 40% increase is certainly more than "barely noticeable". For me, it feels like TWICE as much of an increase; my clothes don't have tablet-sized pockets.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: racer12306
Originally Posted By: DBMaster
Would their SIM cards be hidden inside? They don't have any external slots. They're 5C's, the plastic cased ones.

All iPhones have a sim card slot. On the 3G and 3GS it is on top, the 4, 4S, 5, 5C, 5S is on the side. Don't know where the 6 and 6+ slot is. It's essentially a little door you pop out with a small paper clip and the sim card sits in the tray.

I'll check my son's phone next week when I see him. I am always happy to learn new things!

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I've never understood the teeth gnashing about larger phones say around 4.5-5.5. It is barely noticeable in the pocket but the extra screen real estate is very noticeable in a positive way.

A 4" screen has about 8.4 sq. in. of area. A 5" screen has about 11.4 sq. in. of area. That's nearly a 40% increase. For most phones, a 40% increase in screen size also means a 40% in phone size. When in the confines of a pocket, a 40% increase is certainly more than "barely noticeable". For me, it feels like TWICE as much of an increase; my clothes don't have tablet-sized pockets.
wink.gif

I'm not going to argue the engineering aspect of it. On paper you are right. But the real world experience also depends on room in the pocket, starting point size, etc. If I carry a quarter rather then a penny that is more than a 100% increase but is is not noticeable.

In any case if you listen to the folks here who have actually upgraded from a small screen to a big screen like rjundi or Toyotaandsaturn, they are pretty happy with the experience.

Edit: sorry I meant 97tbird not ToyotaandSaturn.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back