May go to Amsoil SS 5W30 from Mobil 1 5W30...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I canceled my order of the Amsoil SS and will stick with Mobil 1 for another couple OCIs and see if the oil stays cleaner longer as it breaks in. At least I flushed out a lot of the early break-in materials. Hopefully it will stay cleaner longer, but even if it doesn't the oil should still be good and oil color isn't an indicator of the condition of the oil. At least the oil is doing it's job. I went with a Fram Ultra oil filter on this OCI over the Amsoil oil filter. I have both on the shelf, so I may go to the bigger Amsoil EAO filter on the next OCI for more filtering capacity.

I also had the dealer change out my rear diff fluid under warranty to get all the break-in materials out of it as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GM4LIFE
I canceled my order of the Amsoil SS and will stick with Mobil 1 for another couple OCIs and see if the oil stays cleaner longer as it breaks in.

Now I feel I followed this thread, plus what would happen with the Amsoil in it..... for nothing.
frown.gif

The Mobil 1 will be fine in your application, so will the other oils approved by the mfg. Enjoy your vehicle!

LOL, fun thread.. flip/flop comes to mind
wink.gif

Get a UOA if you want to know how the oil is holding up. Color and butt feel have 0 value.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: Johnny248

and the Amsoil SS series outperformed Mobil 1 EP at every test.

I'm a fan of Amsoil lubricants but what tests? M1 EP is formally certified for a number of manufacturer approvals that require extensive testing using approved and sanctioned procedures for measuring actual lubricant performance. This particular AMSOIL product has none of those.

The 4-ball wear test is a procedure designed and utilized in the industry for EP oils (gear oils for example) and is not an engine oil test.

We all know about the 4-ball wear test. That being said, if you were choosing between two oils that both have similarly specs and quality, yet one had a 4-ball result of .35 and the other of 1.2 , wouldn't you prefer to have the .35???

just saying...

No. According to Porsche, any oil on their approval list will perform identically to any other oil on their approval list. Why would I care how that particular lubricant does in a gear oil test?

While it may not be totally relevant to engine oil, there must be some relation to the anti-wear additives in the oil. Now, I'm not saying that I would purchase an oil based soley on these results, I'm confident that having a better 4 ball bearing result can't be detrimental to the engine.

I'm confident that having a better 4 ball bearing result can't be detrimental to the engine.

I haven't said it could be. I just simply noted that it isn't relevant
smile.gif

You might use Mobil1 for the next couple oci but that Amsoil bug-in-the-brain will not go away until you try it. Once you do, then and only then will you really feel comfortable going back to Mobil1. It's happened to many ah bitoger. "Guilty Your Honor"

You'll figure out that Mobil1 is top notch. Then you'll want to try... Royal Purple.
crazy2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wemay
You might use Mobil1 for the next couple oci but that Amsoil bug-in-the-brain will not go away until you try it. Once you do, then and only then will you really feel comfortable going back to Mobil1. It's happened to many ah bitoger. "Guilty Your Honor"

x1000

I've done the Amsoil shuffle several times now, but always end up back on the OTC stuff. In the end, I just cant justify the cost/benefit.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wemay

You'll figure out that Mobil1 is top notch. Then you'll want to try... Royal Purple.
crazy2.gif

You are probably right! [censored]!

Just to chime in, I don't care what anyone says, if the oil came out of my $60k car looking like it does in those pics, I'd change the oil with a top-notch syn at 3-4k.

That said, the high consumption, combined with the blackness of the oil, makes it look like the rings haven't seated properly - you are getting massive blow-by contaminating the oil.

I'm confident that having a better 4 ball bearing result can't be detrimental to the engine.

I haven't said it could be. I just simply noted that it isn't relevant
smile.gif

Actually oils that do well on these types of test have more Extreme Pressure additives in the oil which can be more corrosive to the engine. Since EP additives are not required for engines(they are for gear lube)the more popular engine oils do not use them.

Here is a link explaining this.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Car_Care/AskMobil/Oil_Film_Strength.aspx

Last edited:
Unless extending the interval why bother with Amsoil.
It's more expensive for what?
M1 EP will do the same thing at a better price point.
I've still got a stash of Amsoil im using up at the moment that I got at a garage sale a couple years ago otherwise I wouldn't use it.
Not that I like mobil 1 better than Amsoil. On the contrary I much prefer Amsoil as a brand but it's not cost effective when compared to the mobil offering.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Just to chime in, I don't care what anyone says, if the oil came out of my $60k car looking like it does in those pics, I'd change the oil with a top-notch syn at 3-4k.

That said, the high consumption, combined with the blackness of the oil, makes it look like the rings haven't seated properly - you are getting massive blow-by contaminating the oil.

The consumption has gone way down with the higher amount of miles on the engine. I now have 5,500 miles on the engine and it isn't consuming like it was. I do agree that I was and am getting a lot of blow-by as my exhaust tips are getting black very quickly! I will change the oil every 3K to 4K miles to ensure fresh oil is always present until the consumption issue goes away and until the oil stops getting so black so fast!

Exhaust tips getting black is usually from a rich WOT tune, which is normal for a factory "high performance" tune.

Exhaust tips getting black is usually from a rich WOT tune, which is normal for a factory "high performance" tune.

I have a custom tune in it which should be running a bit leaner for more power than stock. Even with the custom tune, the tips are getting black ultra fast. You can clean them everyday and it doesn't matter. Stock tune was worse!

Last edited:

Note that this has as much to do with how it is driven as it does with tuning. Leadfoots can develop black pipes even with factory tuning!

Originally Posted By: silvercivicsi
Holy [censored] 3.5 quarts in 5300 miles? That seems excessive to me. Neither one of my cars consume that much oil with 7500 miles OCI's.

What cars do you own? I drive the pis out of my car and that's most likely the cause for the consumption. That combined with the car being new is why it's acceptable to GM. If the car consumed a quart or more every 1,000 miles, then that's a problem.

I have a stupid question: How do you "Drive the [censored]" out of a supercharged 6.2L car, on the street? It would not even breath hard, under 100mph. I would need my license printed on asbestos, for it to last a week.

And I am with others that posted earlier......Using 3.5 quarts in less than 6k miles.......Either your rings lost patience with you, and have not seated, or they are broken/overheated and will never seat. Which would explain your "Black" oil problem. A cylinder leakdown test would settle this. GM may owe you a shortblock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back