Low Mileage Oil Change for Mobil 1 0W-40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does oil breadown with age? My Crossfire takes Mobil 1 0W-40. I only drive the car around 1,500 miles annually, and I was wondering how often I should change the oil for this low mileage. Should I change it by the calendar, like every year or every two years? Or should I wait until the mileage builds up which would be years? Any advice is appreciated.

Its really tough to say. Since your not driving much, that is actually harder on the engine itself. The cold starts and not driving far doesn't give much time for the fuel in the oil to burn off. Over time this could cause the oil to shear prematurely of which this particular oil is known to do.

I would think an annual change would be wise. I would drive the car once a week for a bit not for the oil's sake, but for the cars sake. haha.

Jeff

For all practical purposes, time in the sump absolutely does not matter. What does matter, and what you didn't mention was how those 1500 miles are attained.

If it's 5 miles/day ~300 days a year, you very likely need to change it annually.

If it's 1500 miles over the course of 20-40 driving days in the calendar year, I'd say you will have no problem changing it once every fourth year. (Yes, really!)

Between those two extremes use your judgement to estimate, and if you really care, confirm with an used oil analysis.

For starters, see this thread: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3519069/Rotella_10w-30

Good luck.

Originally Posted By: wymi516
I'd go 2 years and change it right before winter.

Summer does not effect oil wear, winter does. Therefore you'd want to change oil right after winter as that's when it has been "worked."

Changing in the spring, you'll have fresh oil spring, summer and fall in year 1; "90%" oil in winter 1, and spring, summer and fall year 2. Finally "80%" oil in winter 2.

Versus "90%" in winter 1, plus spring, summer and fall 1, "80%" in winter 2, plus spring, summer, and fall 2.

I've been changing once a year in the avalanche, at most 3000 miles a year, almost no short trips. The other cars get a change in early nov and again in early may.

Originally Posted By: Crymar
I only drive the car around 1,500 miles annually,

You need to tell us how those 1,500 miles are driven - how frequent are the trips? How many miles per trip?

To answer the requests for my driving style when I'm only putting 1,500 miles annually on my Crossfire, I make sure to drive the car at least 25 miles when I do take it out. I am aware of the adverse effects on motor oil in a car that's seldom driven and then only for short trips.

Another vote for an annual oil change.

Yes there may be no difference.

But why run the risk for the sake of a few dollars saved?

Originally Posted By: bigjl

Why dump serviceable oil just to pour in serviceable oil. It makes no sense.

Oil cannot tell time. It has no idea how long it's in the sump. And as proven by Dnewton and his uoa on his own vehicles the oil is unaffected by time.
What does affect oil life is contamination.
And as miles are accumulated so is the contamination,so count me in on the leave it side.
Go 5000 miles or so. I'm sure the oil would still be fine at 5000 miles but that'll be 3 or so years in sump by which time I'm sure you'll be chomping at the bit to change it.
Especially M1 0w-40. It's a world class oil made for the European extended interval so even 3 years in the sump is a non issue

Originally Posted By: Clevy

+1

Because an engine is more expensive than an oil and filter change.

And because preventative maintence is just that. Preventative.

With the price of oil and filters in the US you are saving less than the price of an evening meal.

Makes no sense.

I awaitnthe next post that says because I am not from North America that I don't know anything.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

Oil cannot tell time. It has no idea how long it's in the sump. And as proven by Dnewton and his uoa on his own vehicles the oil is unaffected by time.
What does affect oil life is contamination.
And as miles are accumulated so is the contamination,so count me in on the leave it side.
Go 5000 miles or so. I'm sure the oil would still be fine at 5000 miles but that'll be 3 or so years in sump by which time I'm sure you'll be chomping at the bit to change it.
Especially M1 0w-40. It's a world class oil made for the European extended interval so even 3 years in the sump is a non issue

DITTO...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back