"Discount" AR's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CT8
Well here we go some of thelist of forges

Right, so for example, manufacturers like LW Schneider Inc., and Aero Precision buy the forging blanks from a foundry and then perform the machining and anodizing work to them.

This video from Aero Precision outlines that process:

Aero Precision is another manufacturer who contracts with other companies. For example, Palmetto State Armory(PSA) at times will sell lower receivers where the serial number starts with "AP". That PSA lower is manufactured by Aero Precision with the PSA logo on them. I've also heard that Aero Precision produces lowers for Spike's Tactical as well.

But a few examples of the hand full of American manufacturers producing parts under various brand names for the various firearm companies.

Last edited:
I like S&W AR's, especially the TS and T. However the barrel is not milspec and I believe the BCG is not as well. Is it a fatal flaw? Heck no. Unless you plan on getting into gun fights just about anything that is built to spec (or above see Knights Armament, Larue Tactical) is fine. I purchased a Palmetto upper with the FN CFH barrel and milspec BCG. It eats everything I have run through it and have not had a malfunction that was not magazine or training round related (even with an A5 buffer). My department TE'd a MP15T and it is a nice carbine and its the AR we are buying. Like you said, fit and finish are nice although I didn't like the rail. I wouldn't say "mystical edge" when describing the popularity of Palmetto. They just sell a rifle/upper that has quality parts where it counts at a very good price. So what if shipping may be a bit slow.

Check out the new Ruger AR556 rifle. My stupid work filter wont let me link it.
Just when I was thinking an AR would be nice but I real'y should not be buying more guns they have to come out with this at this price point.

http://www.blackforgeweapons.com/

I build all my AR's using their parts. The last one i built was based on their M4 complete rifle kit, and one of their BF-15 lowers. I had them replace the standard barrel with a 4150 CMV barrel, Chrome line the bore and chamber. I also ordered a Ni-phos coated bolt carrier group, and all MOE furniture. I assembled the Entire Gun for under $800 including Magpul sights and a custom trigger guard. It truly is a very nice piece. I have buddies who have bought $1500 guns that are not as nice, especially their barrels and bolt carrier group combo.

The Customer service at Black Forge is second to none, and the Build quality of the parts is outstanding

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: umungus1122
It's a buyer's market right now. A good idea would be to read up on AR15.com
Those commies banned me.

Originally Posted By: Oro_O
I wanted to make the price equal to a way lesser quality S@W Ar type. There will be a next build.

If you are thinking a PSA "premium" is superior to an S&W, even the baser models, you've not delved deeply into both models. I've had four S&Ws and Three PSA (all "premium"). function is equal but fit and finish on the S&W, even the "sport," is superior. I like PSA quite a lot, but they don't hold some mystical edge over all other manufacturers. There's a fan-boy buzz about them that doesn't quite hold up to all real-world comparisons.

Spasms3 - I again agree wholeheartedly with Robenstein, out to 200 5.56 is just fine. Flat, too. You can zero there and shoot 50 to 200 with no real hold over/under. so easy and fun.

I go by what the quality of the materials used in the bolts,Receiver extension and barrels and the treating procedures used. . There are only a hand full of forging companies that forge the uppers and lowers. That is what makes a quality AR. I have been messin' with ARs since my first one in the early 1970s. I know exactly what makes a nice AR.

It appears you don't know what makes a good AR. I've been messing with them since the early '70s. I dont' flaunt that fact. I assume fact speak for themselves.

The better idea is to take good materials and then MACHINE THEM WELL. All sellers buy from the same suppliers of raw forgings.. So they can all claim the correct materials used in the bolts, receivers, extensions, etc. as you repeated. You seem to be under a massive delusion they are then all machined and finished to the same degree. That's like saying because Alcoa made the Aluminum, all Audis, Fords, Cadillacs are identical. That's insance or just ignorant. But machining them, anodizing them, and assuring Colt Compatibility (who own the specs) is what makes them work. There are a lot of makers who do this, but looking purely on the criteria you enumerated is pointless. I can take Uppers and lowers from PSA, try to built a gun and they don't fit. It happens 10% of the time. A higher degree of understanding of the system is necessary. Claiming that just grabbing parts that are made from the same grade aluminum and steel and therefore are perfect is just - well - nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back