Would you buy on sale if you have a stash?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a big Stash and only one car to use it up with. Some of my oil dates back four years ago, and it will take about 60,000 more miles, therefore about three to four years, to use up what I have.

Should I go to the Black Friday sale at Pep Boys and get $60.00 worth of Mobil 1 (12 quarts) or just let it ride till next year?

What would you do?

Indecision, aaaarrrrggghhhh.....

12 quarts for $60? That isn't a sale... That's regular everyday Walmart price. Actually cheaper at Walmart.

Originally Posted By: Jimkobb
I don`t keep a stash. I buy just before my oil change and just what I need .

+1

Even though I have a large stash I still bought a jug of PP pure plus, and put in the $10 MIR. I try to have a ceiling price of $1/qt, but I just had to get a jug of Nat. Gas-based oil. I figured if I waited until my stash was depleted the PP will be off the market. Your M1 will be on sale next year, not off the market.

Originally Posted By: Jimkobb
I don`t keep a stash. I buy just before my oil change and just what I need .

Same here. That way I can choose my "flavor of the month" if thats what I feel like doing. And it will be "fresh".
wink.gif

I have had stashes up to 300 quarts and then sold some off. Now I have about 160 quarts and that should last about 6-7 years. Yet, I will still buy more oil if the price is right.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
12 quarts for $60? That isn't a sale... That's regular everyday Walmart price. Actually cheaper at Walmart.

Walmart is a couple bucks more than $60.00 for 12 quarts of Mobil 1

Mobil 1 NON-EP is: $25.17 for a 5 quart jug plus local sales tax.
Mobil 1 NON-EP is: $7.74 for a single quart plus tax.

Last edited:
Yeah but Mobil 1 was under $25 for a while before the price just went up. Plus there was a rebate that was working on it. I just add to the stash when there's a good sale, just enough to tide me over til next year when Pepboys will have their sale again. There was a decent sale on Castrol a while back, after the rollback and the $5 off coupon, it was $16.66. So I use previous sales as benchmarks for whether the current sale is a good one or not.

Originally Posted By: TallPaul
I have had stashes up to 300 quarts and then sold some off. Now I have about 160 quarts and that should last about 6-7 years. Yet, I will still buy more oil if the price is right.

I cannot justify that.Some kind of complex.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Yeah but Mobil 1 was under $25 for a while before the price just went up.

Yup I saw that two years or three ago that M1 EP was $25 and I grabbed a few.

I won't be buying anymore since I have a store-like shelf of oil

Originally Posted By: TallPaul

Shelf life for oil is only 5 years or so, I don't get the point.

I do a form of dollar-cost averaging. If my stash is around 100 quarts I get real picky, but will still jump on a deal. I got real low on 5w30 and settled for $1.99/qt havoline.

Last year autozone had Peak 10w40 5.1 quart jugs for $3 for example. I got in on that for "beater oil."
01.gif

I have newer needs like a MIL's buick that takes Dexos and is still under warranty, so I'm scrounging for that. PP for $12/5qt after rebate is sitting on the shelf waiting for her.

If it's cheap enough, go for it. But 1-2 year supply is more than enough. If crude prices stay low, oil on the shelves will be dropping soon. I haven't seen any Black Friday deals to make me want to go out and buy some. I have about 50 qts now for 5 cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back