How is Polaris's rep these days?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like my Ranger 570 but I have come to find out that Polaris cheaps out on a lot of things.

8 months in and all four wheel bearings plus both U-joints on the driveshaft failed. The u-joints were NOT GREASED. At all. Completely dry. Not even any assembly lube that I could detect.

Oh, and the driveshaft was improperly phased - apparently this has been a known issue for some time that Polaris hasn't bothered to address. Had to fix that. If you don't know the problems this can cause, look it up; it's a serious issue.

The solution seems to be avoiding dealer service and using anything but Polaris replacement parts if at all possible. I got SKF wheel bearings (made in Japan) and NAPA u-joints (made in the USA, seem to be repackaged Moog).

I have a personal 2002 suzuki Vinson and a 2008 polaris 500ho for work. I trust my suzuki much more. The polaris has a great cushy ride but it vibrates a lot and I just don't trust it as much personally. If I was to ride across the state or something, I'd take my vinson

Having owned Polaris since the early 90s, I can tell you they go through phases. they started out making a super tough almost farm tractor built atv and then the lightened them up. Around the late 90s they really started to cheapen them up to the point they weren't holding up and were too cheap and light. Mid 2000's they started really building them heavy again and they were tough. The new ones are really light again. Its weird, but they go through this. I have 18 Polaris's and you can literally see the differences. I think they try to follow the Japanese too much. Its not what made them Polaris and I wish they would stop it. Exactly what happened when they made a manual transmission model that was a flop and what I see happening with the A Arm suspension. If it aint broke don't fix it. and McPherson struts work Great.

My 2005 Polaris XP 700 cc side by side has been a great machine. It has 635 hours on it and has never been in the shop. Oil changes etc. by us of course. It still performs like new.

I've got an 06 Sportsman8 00 EFI, and it has had zero issues. Rides and runs beautifully. I had a 2000 325 Magnum 4x4, and I sold it to a neighbor. He still has it and it runs great, never an issue, just occasional maintenance. He once went about 4 or 5 years without an oil change and still hasn't had a problem.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another. Btw, the quality on the Sportsman 800EFI is every bit as good as any other quad, IMO.

I had a 2000 Polaris Expedition 425 it had many problems the starter went a few times. It would over heat. It didn't want to start in the cold. I bought a 2008 Sportsman I still have. It doesn't even have 200 miles on it because it breaks down all the time. The carb fell apart it started pouring gas every where;. The stator went. Now it over heats It was just used for Hunting its never been in mud its never even been washed. It has moved a few stands and hauled a few deer now it is just a shelf to put stuff on. I have a 2007 Suzuki EIGER its my work horse it gets used all the time in any temperature I would trade the Sportsman for an EIGER any chance I get

Originally Posted By: live_to_hunt
I had a 2000 Polaris Expedition 425 it had many problems the starter went a few times. It would over heat. It didn't want to start in the cold. I bought a 2008 Sportsman I still have. It doesn't even have 200 miles on it because it breaks down all the time. The carb fell apart it started pouring gas every where;. The stator went. Now it over heats It was just used for Hunting its never been in mud its never even been washed. It has moved a few stands and hauled a few deer now it is just a shelf to put stuff on. I have a 2007 Suzuki EIGER its my work horse it gets used all the time in any temperature I would trade the Sportsman for an EIGER any chance I get

Never mind.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back