I just got the tire malfunction light

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, This is a great thread as it touches on many features.
1) If we check/maintain our tire pressure it's likely we'll almost never see the TPMS warnings--this means we'll never get any practice reading false positives vs. true ones.

2) Does anyone know the frequency on which these TPMS signals are broadcast? Are more than one used?
Aftermarket supplier Dorman sells replacement TPMS units. THis gives me hope that

3) On a particular car, would all 4 or even 5 transducers be the same? I assume they would be.

4) FYI: A Volkswagen dealer told me their cars' TPMS receivers have finally been installed in a protected location under the fenders. They had been tacked onto the exterior of the fender well and were exposed to harsh elements.

Ask me why I don't like foolish toys on cars. In the case of TPMS systems it's all because people are too lazy and stupid to check their tire pressure.
That Firestone and Ford conspired to make thin walled tires for some SUV models added misplaced forcefulness to the arguments in favor of these things. Kira

Originally Posted By: Kira
3) On a particular car, would all 4 or even 5 transducers be the same? I assume they would be.

I think this likely varies. Some vehicles may use four identical sensors, and one light illuminates if one or more of the sensors shows low. Other vehicles know where each sensor is (LF, RF, etc) and will show the low tire by location. Some of these systems must be reprogrammed when the tires are rotated or when a sensor is replaced. Some of these systems seem to be able to automatically detect it.

Our Honda has one single TPMS light that will illuminate if ANY of the sensors shows low. Our Acura has a display on the dashboard that does not show tire pressure, but does show which one of the four tires may be low. It does not have to be reprogrammed after a tire rotation; it rediscovers where the sensors are on its own.

I'm a firm believer in TPMS systems, whether they're a passive system that uses no additional hardware and looks at the individual wheel speed sensors, or whether they do use sensors in the wheels. My folks had a tire failure on their travel trailer once and wouldn't have known it if it weren't for the (aftermarket) TPMS they used. It was a 40' triple axle 5th wheel trailer pulled by an F-650; you'd never know you lost a tire...until it either tore up the side of your trailer or a passing motorist alerted you to it. And, too, my wife has TWICE picked up a road hazard while she was driving and was warned early about it by the car's TPMS...early warning is critical, so you can pull over before you have a catastrophic failure.

Originally Posted By: Kira

Aftermarket supplier Dorman sells replacement TPMS units. THis gives me hope that

I need to look into those aftermarket replacements next time I need new tires, unfortunately not anytime soon.

The way Toyota's TPMS works, there are 4-5 transmitters with unique IDs registed with TPMS ECU and one antenna/receiver in the middle of the car, so the car doesn't know the tire position but can ignore signals from other tires from cars nearby. However, the transmitters also transmit temps, so based on that I knew the dead one was in one of the front tires. If I really wanted to know which one, all I need to do is deflate one of the front tires or park in sun facing one side.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek

I scanned the ECU with TIS and there is no communication with the sensor #2. Code C2122. Probably transmitter battery dead. It had to happen at some time. The car has low miles, but high years (over 8).

Here is the weird part. I cleared the error code over a week ago and it never came back.

It means you put air in your tires instead of nitrogen.
whistle.gif
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back