Coolant and Oil Filter For A 2005 BMW Z4

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wifes friend has a 2005 BMW Z4 and asked me what she needed to add to the radiator since her low coolant light comes on first thing in the morning. She said it goes out soon after driving, so I told her there is probably a slow leak that needs fixed. But what coolant can she add to it? Also, she asked me if there was a cheaper oil she could use as the dealer was charging her over $100 bucks for a service. I looked up the bmw spec and found that M1 0w40 should work and told her I could change it for her for almost half that. Looking around at walmart, the only oil filter they stock for it is a Fram OCOD cartridge style filter. Are these any good? I opened one up and it looks well made, nice, straight pleats, and it said made in the USA

It is probably the surge tank that is leaking on the car (common issue) and the coolant you should use is the BMW blue coolant.

For oil, use M1 0w-40, for filters, grab some OEM filters from the dealer. Should be less than $10/each.

ok, thank you guys. trying to keep things as cheap as possible. she has gone from living comfortably money wise, to divorced and having to support and take care of her grandson all in the same year, so money is getting tight for her now.

Originally Posted By: afoulk
ok, thank you guys. trying to keep things as cheap as possible. she has gone from living comfortably money wise, to divorced and having to support and take care of her grandson all in the same year, so money is getting tight for her now.

tell her to sell the bmw ASAP while the problems are still minor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back