Bought the stuff for a Volvo OC

Status
Not open for further replies.
The GF's Volvo is finally needing an oil change. She used to go to a dealer and get "bulk" 5w30 Maxlife for $20 w/ coupon. After they accused her of not regularly getting her oil change by simply showing her the dirty cartridge filter, I became skeptical that they weren't even changing the filter at all. Plus they are a dealer.. they always seemed to want to nickel and dime her. Last time they lectured her about her brakes and said they probably wouldn't make it through the weekend.. so that was the end of that.

Anyways, I bought an oil filter cap wrench and 2 Mahle oil filters for $5.49 each at FCP Euro. Plus some PP 5w30 at WM and sent in for the rebates. I'm excited to get everything underway and I'm hoping the oil filter cap isn't chewed up from wrongful use. Still not sure how I will lift the car though.. maybe 2 floor jacks and slide the ramps under the wheels? Both sets I have are too steep. Either way Ill figure it out.

Probably going to stick with 3000 mile OCI's (at least for a year or so then send in for a UOA) since she drives in such short trips. Literally.. 1 job is 1 mile away and school and the other job is around 5-10 miles. Excessive I'm sure, but that's okay.
wink.gif

Last edited:
If you want to change oil every 3k miles, just get the regular old dino oil and don't spend the money on the PP. You are not getting your moneys worth out of any oil changing it at 3k miles

I am planning a UOA after the first 2 "cleaning" 3000 mile OCI's.. roughly 1 year from now. Hoping to stretch it out to a yearly OCI give or take.

I doubt a dealer did not bother to change the filter. Its possible they overlooked it but even that would be hard to believe.

I would go 5K on PP.

Its worth checking the brakes. Could be something like a sticking caliper that is quickly wearing down one pad, even though the braking seems to be fine.

Dealers may be expensive but I doubt too many are dishonest.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I doubt a dealer did not bother to change the filter. Its possible they overlooked it but even that would be hard to believe.

I would go 5K on PP.

Its worth checking the brakes. Could be something like a sticking caliper that is quickly wearing down one pad, even though the braking seems to be fine.

We changed the brakes/ rotors at the end of last summer. They had a decent amount of life left, but we both agreed to just do it while we had the time before school. Plus the weather was nice enough to do it outside at her house. I noticed the brake hoses were in pretty rough shape and changed those out a few weeks later.

I am not sure if this dealer is dishonest or not, but it sure seemed to me they used scare tactics to upsell more services.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bepperb
Put a board in front of the ramps. I used to use a 2 x 10 or something, about three feet long.

Yeah this. You won't slip the ramps under with a jack because the wheels will sag an extra 3-4 inches under unloaded suspension. IOW by the time you jack it up high enough for ramps it'll be way up there.

If you have scrap 2x6 you can nail one on top of the other but offset slightly then butt that against the base of the ramp.

The supports that hold the ramp up are at 90* to the floor. Would the slight change in angle with the load of the car be a concern?

**Edit. I am a very visual person and had a hard time comprehending this. Disregard.

Basically put the boards in the front for an extra incline so the car doesn't rub?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dlundblad

I would go 5K on PP.

We changed the brakes/ rotors at the end of last summer. They had a decent amount of life left, but we both agreed to just do it while we had the time before school. Plus the weather was nice enough to do it outside at her house. I noticed the brake hoses were in pretty rough shape and changed those out a few weeks later.

I am not sure if this dealer is dishonest or not, but it sure seemed to me they used scare tactics to upsell more services.

I would still look at all the pads since the dealer mentioned it. Maybe its nothing but maybe something has seized up in the past month or two.

This had to be the most exciting oil change I have ever read. The enthusiasm , the care, the motivational aspect of the whole thing is beyond comprehension. I need a nap....................

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

I would go 5K on PP.

I would still look at all the pads since the dealer mentioned it. Maybe its nothing but maybe something has seized up in the past month or two.

No worries. I checked the rears out. They had plenty pad left.

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
This had to be the most exciting oil change I have ever read. The enthusiasm , the care, the motivational aspect of the whole thing is beyond comprehension. I need a nap....................

laugh.gif

With my Accord I didn't have enough room to use the ramps for the oil change because the bottom of the bumper would've scrapped. I instead used jack stands which gave me more room between the wheels. You can't go wrong with either way IMHO. I would also loosen the internal filter before you drain it this way the filter housing drains and won't leave you a mess when you take it out. I think removing the skid plate will be the hardest part of this oil change based on my experiences.

Yes I definitely should have specified. It is a 2.4T.

*That combined with her extreme short trips inclined me to run synthetic.

I also picked up some Rhino ramps today from AAP with a code. They will definitely work on my moms Elantra, but her Volvo sits a tad lower IIRC. Ill test them tomorrow.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back