Mobil 1 5w30 for 2012 golf tdi ok? ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2012 vw golf tdi which has a dpf delete and Malone software. I have been running vw 507 oil the whole time. I recently purchased some mobil 1 synthetic 5w30 at a great price. It is not the esp forumula which I currently am using.

From what I have read I don't require a special approved oil anymore, but I'm wondering if anyone has experience using a regular synthetic oil with a setup like mine.

On the mobil 1 site it does mention it can be used in diesel engines as well, I just want to be sure as I'm not an oil expert.

Thanks

Your car needs a HTHS >3.5 which in the Mobil line only the 0W-30 ESP formula has it.
Every other 5W-30 has a low HTHS, if you want to keep using Mobil you can use the M1 0W-40 or if you want to use another then look for the 507 spec or in its defect the ACEA A3/B4 or the DEXOS 2 spec. Avoid anything with ILSAC GF-5 or the DEXOS 1 spec. That will ruin your engine

I have heard amazing things about Mobil 0w-40 on this site. I have only used it once, on a CLK430. I will say this- if the manufacturer calls for something like Mobile One 0w-40, there is a really good reason for it, and you should use it, no questions asked.

I appreciate the replies.

I don't have a dpf or stock cats anymore. I have a custom downpipe with a high flow cat to the stock muffler.

I know I don't require a low ash oil anymore. The hths viscosity is something I didn't look at: The esp is ~3.5, the regular is ~3.0.

VW calls for a '507' approved 5w30 oil for a stock car with dpf, which I am not. I'm not loyal to mobil 1, I used it based on price.

I guess I will return the oil I bought, I still have enough of the esp oil for the next oil change anyways.

What does the Malone software do to the engine? I'm thinking that since you deleted the DPF, you can get away from low-SAPS oils and use something that will protect the engine over long drain intervals. But like Darwin1138 said, you definitely need to put an oil in that has HTHS viscosity over 3.5. Regular M1 5w30 only has an HTHS of 3.1, so don't use it.

It's force of habit mentioning Malone with dpf. Thanks for the info guys, I will look into another oil such as the 0w40 or another with higher hths.

I was thinking that M1 0w40 would be a good choice because it is readily available, has an HTHS of 3.8, and a TBN of 11.8. The only possible drawback to it that I see is its API diesel rating is only CF. I don't know if this is an issue for a passenger car diesel. It does have VW approvals 502 and 505, and Mobil says it's good for 503. Are any of those for pre-dpf TDI's?

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
I was thinking that M1 0w40 would be a good choice because it is readily available, has an HTHS of 3.8, and a TBN of 11.8. The only possible drawback to it that I see is its API diesel rating is only CF. I don't know if this is an issue for a passenger car diesel. It does have VW approvals 502 and 505, and Mobil says it's good for 503. Are any of those for pre-dpf TDI's?

That oil does look good, I'm in no rush though. 505 was the standard for 2008(PD motors) and earlier cars without dpf so it should be ok for my car.

Originally Posted By: Darwin1138
Avoid anything with ILSAC GF-5 or the DEXOS 1 spec. That will ruin your engine

I agree that he should stick to something with the VW/Audi spec but i seriouly doubt Mobil1 5W-30 or something ILSAC GF-5/DEXOS1 will 'ruin' his engine in the short term.

Last edited:
I'm not bashing out ILSAC or DEXOS 1. But using an oil with less viscosity than recommended can damage an engine very quickly, otherwise we wouldn't have to worry about fuel dilution or shearing stability, this is very important in a turbo Diesel engine, and specially important if that Malone software is inducing some kind of over boost.

Originally Posted By: Darwin1138
I'm not bashing out ILSAC or DEXOS 1. But using an oil with less viscosity than recommended can damage an engine very quickly, otherwise we wouldn't have to worry about fuel dilution or shearing stability, this is very important in a turbo Diesel engine, and specially important if that Malone software is inducing some kind of over boost.

Forgive me, i thought it was a Golf GTI, not TDI, my error.

Pre DPF VW were pumpe duse engines that use specific oils. OP car should be common rail so PD oil is no go for his car. Similar common rail diesels without DPFs use ACEA B4 oils
Mobil 1 european formula carry that specification.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back