Hankook RW11 I-Pike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I think I'm going to order a set, as I'm not sure if DTD's Black Friday pricing will necessarily be better. I've been on the fence for a while, about what's best, and in the end I know my driving habits do not dictate "the bestest".

But just for feedback, not a bad tire?

255/70R18 doesn't have the greatest selection, and whenever I look at plus sizes the prices go up, defeating the purpose. I'm hoping to keep it to 5kmiles/year so I should be able to get 3-4 seasons I'd think. I have a spare set of rims already.

Decent enough for a snow tire. Currently running a set on my '07 Ford Explorer in 245/75/16. Much better in the snow and ice than than the Michelin All Seasons we run the rest of the year.

I bought these after using the Ipike W409 on my older Explorer - made that one a tank in the snow. The W409's were wearing well - had three seasons and 15,000 miles on them and they hadn't worn much. Not enough of a track record on this Explorer to know for sure treadlife will be similar, but so far no issues in 6000 miles.

Note also, I don't stud them (studs are not legal in MN). In that sense, these are more a traditional snow tire and less an ice tire like a Blizzak, but they are very, very predictable in snow and ice. They are also direction tires if that matters.

Last edited:
I saw that they were directional, but I don't think that will be a problem. With any luck I won't have to rotate; and I finally bought a tire crayon (grease marker? whatever the term is).

I feel bad in saying this, but I don't want an ice tire. Seems like my problems are always on snow. Yeah I know, ice will kill me, as in black ice. But actually if I keep the Jetta going it'll be the Jetta that gets killed on black ice as that's the DD.

Up here it seems we get slush or plain old snow.

I just rotate mine front-back with no crossover since they are directional. Hasn't been an issue. Just make sure whoever mounts them knows that. Mine didn't, and ended up having two remounted.

For snow and slush, I give them a big thumbs up!

I have the same experience as MNgopher with the W409. Two on the wife's G6 have 40000 miles on them and they still aren't at the first wear bar, been on for 1 summer and 5 winters, starting the sixth. I think they are great and if the RW-11 performs as similar as it looks like the W409 I think you'll be happy.

Good to know. I ultimately passed them up, but plan to keep looking.

HD W409s on a 96 mustang for one season and as mentioned above they were very effective. Cannot comment beyong that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back