new Ecoboost mustang a hit with the aftermarket?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys I've been thinking about the new mustang ecoboost. Not that I want to buy one per se, rather about how beautiful this platform could become in the tuning world.

I love boost in cars and I even liked the old SVO mustangs, however those cars never really found their way to popularity. I think today's market is going to be much more accepting to a turbo 4 cylinder mustang. I certainly know I'm excited about what the future may hold as far as what the aftermarket develops in the way of turbocharger upgrades and supporting modifications.

I still think Ford should shoe in a hopped up version of their 3.5l ecoboost into a mustang GT.

Thoughts!?

A 3.5L Ecoboost would be cool, but power output would be right up there with the 5.0 V8, which I'm sure Ford doesn't want. Put the Ecoboost V6 right in there with the 6.8L V10 for motors that would've been cool in the Mustang.

It will be very popular. Most mods will be developed on a desktop computer, installed with a laptop or handheld. Even less popular turbo autos these days have substantial aftermarket support.

Originally Posted By: Klutch9
A 3.5L Ecoboost would be cool, but power output would be right up there with the 5.0 V8, which I'm sure Ford doesn't want. Put the Ecoboost V6 right in there with the 6.8L V10 for motors that would've been cool in the Mustang.

Not 'would', it's a done deal. The lineup...
01.gif

I-4 Turbo
V6(base engine i believe)
V8

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wemay

01.gif

I-4 Turbo
V8

The Ecoboost motor offered in the Mustang is the 4 banger, not the 3.5l V6.

Any factory turbo car is easily modeable via the engine tune; up the boost, alter the air fuel etc. and most cars can get 10-20% more power safely and easily. Since the engines are generally built stronger than n/a engines, you can throw on a bigger turbo, bigger exhaust, larger intercooler etc. and get serious power gains.

Originally Posted By: wemay

01.gif

I-4 Turbo
V8

The Ecoboost motor offered in the Mustang is the 4 banger, not the 3.5l V6.

Correct. The boosted engine is the 4cyl (2.3l?) The NA V-6 is the base engine, but its not the 3.5l, it's the 3.7l, which yes, is just a 3.5 w/ a slightly bigger bore/pistons,( both made on the same line ) used mainly in Lincolns and Interceptors

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: donnyj08
Guys I've been thinking about the new mustang ecoboost. Not that I want to buy one per se, rather about how beautiful this platform could become in the tuning world.

I love boost in cars and I even liked the old SVO mustangs, however those cars never really found their way to popularity. I think today's market is going to be much more accepting to a turbo 4 cylinder mustang. I certainly know I'm excited about what the future may hold as far as what the aftermarket develops in the way of turbocharger upgrades and supporting modifications.

I still think Ford should shoe in a hopped up version of their 3.5l ecoboost into a mustang GT.

Thoughts!?

I really agree with the bolded above, but, depending on just how strong they built the i-4's bottom end, and just how much heft one can pare off of this new platform, the Ecoboost could be a GREAT power making engine choice.
thumbsup2.gif

But I will say this, with the sound of that flat plane crank 5.0, 4 valve per cylinder heads, and an IRS, I do NOT want to hear the words "low tech Detroit c**p" come out of the ricers'/import fanboyzz' mouths EVER again!!!
31.gif
34.gif
19.gif

Most factory turbo cars leave a lot of power on the table for durability and drivability reasons. Customers insist on running 87 octane since it's "cheaper", so it needs to be able to get through warranty having the living tar beat out of it running the cheapest swill around. And, leaving top-end power off means the torque curve can be table-flat. Reduces the instances of an occasional driver crashing the car since the turbo suddenly ramped up the power.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Most factory turbo cars leave a lot of power on the table for durability and drivability reasons. Customers insist on running 87 octane since it's "cheaper", so it needs to be able to get through warranty having the living tar beat out of it running the cheapest swill around. And, leaving top-end power off means the torque curve can be table-flat. Reduces the instances of an occasional driver crashing the car since the turbo suddenly ramped up the power.

The 2.3L Ecoboost's cylinder head has an integral exhaust manifold. That may end up being the limiting factor in real world/aftermarket power improvement.

I have a 2.2L S2000, with aftermarket turbo. Unfortunately, I have a cast iron exhaust "log manifold" and HP is limited to 407 at 19.5LBS boost and 8500 RPM (considerably more RPM than the direct injection Mustang engine) At 7000 RPM, the S2000's HP is about 330 (right in line with the Mustang) (and that's with a really big turbo)

The switch to an equal length turbo header is a remarkable change for the better. 400HP is achieved at 15PSI instead of almost 20. And, 600+ HP becomes possible with the proper header. Something impossible, at any boost level with a log manifold.

Last edited:
Twin-scroll-turbocharger.png

attachment.php

Well, I'm not sure now. Looking at the top diagram, it looks quite impressive and smooth flowing. Looking at the lower picture, it looks like packaging took top priority.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back