New smartphone with smaller screen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everything being cranked out today seems to have 5+ inch screen. DO NOT WANT!

I have a 2-year-old Motorola Razr M with 4.3" screen and exterior dimensions of 122 x 61 x 8.3 mm and I'd like to stick with something that's no bigger for my next phone. And it needs to work on Verizon and be using Android OS. Does such a thing exist?

I'm referring to newly released phones, not something from 3 years back.

Thanks!

Off the top of my head, the Asus zenfone 4, moto E, Xperia z1 compact.

You can also use GSMArena's phone finder which let's you screen phones by various criteria.

Edit: didn't check for Verizon compatibility.

Last edited:
Verizon's network is CDMA so GSM phones will not work with it. Most phones sold outside the providers will state which networks, or at least frequencies, with which the phones may be used. I have had issues with certain features on T-Mobile's network when using "unsupported" phones (meaning phones that T-Mobile doesn't sell), but I think those types of problems are a lot less common now.

Plus, unlike GSM phones, CDMA phones need to be "activated" by the provider (no SIM card). With GSM you can change phones to match your outfits just by moving the SIM card. With CDMA you have to shell out bucks every time you want to start using a new phone on your account.

Thanks. Looking at HTC One Remix right now... alas it is slightly larger than my current phone.

All the current phones that are the size of my Razr M have specs that are no better than Razr M, so no point in upgrading. I guess I can wait around a few months and see if something with better specs and small size will be released...

QP. Take a look for Nokia Lumia 630. Quad core, small, cheap and floor resistant. Tested that myself. It's windows though.

Id recommend the Moto G.. okay okay I know its a 4.5 inch screen.. but wonderful, reasonable basic phone with excellent battery life.

I have the same problem. When this Iphone 4s quits thats it for me, back to a good old cell phone with no online, apps or anything else.

I was in your position this summer, having grown tired of large phones. I thought I had to have another Android phone, but bought a new iPhone 5s for it size and never looked back.

Since I've gotten an iPad i find I use my phone as a phone now and don't long for a bigger screen. Prior to the iPad i did everything on my phone.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
Verizon's network is CDMA so GSM phones will not work with it. Most phones sold outside the providers will state which networks, or at least frequencies, with which the phones may be used. I have had issues with certain features on T-Mobile's network when using "unsupported" phones (meaning phones that T-Mobile doesn't sell), but I think those types of problems are a lot less common now.

Plus, unlike GSM phones, CDMA phones need to be "activated" by the provider (no SIM card). With GSM you can change phones to match your outfits just by moving the SIM card. With CDMA you have to shell out bucks every time you want to start using a new phone on your account.

CDMA phones have SIM cards. And no it doesn't cost anything to activate a Verizon CDMA phone. And you do not have to have a provider activate it. I have done it many times.

Some newer phones are GSM and CDMA. Some are locked by the provider. But they can be unlocked by either the provider or yourself.
But Verizon won't let you activate a phone on their network that isn't on their list. Meaning a phone that they originally sold. They have all the ESN on file.

Btw, ATT and T-Mobile are GSM, sprint, us cell, and vzw are CDMA. Along with all the prepaid providers using whoevers network they use.

It won't matter in a few years anyway, everything will be VoLTE. CDMA will be shut down eventually.

Last edited:
So, is it only the phones that can work on both CDMA/GSM that have SIM cards? I don't know about the IP6, but my kids' IP5's (on the ex's Verizon plan) do not have SIM cards.

CDMA is predominantly (perhaps only) used in North America while GSM is the world standard.

I'll have to defer on this one because I don't keep current on cell phone technology and the information I relayed earlier was based upon my research from a couple of years ago.

I didn't really word that well.

LTE 4G must have a SIM card. If your kids are on 4g, which I will assume since it's an IPhone 5, it has to have a SIM card.

CDMA doesn't need a SIM card, but pretty all phones are 4G so you need a SIM card.

Would their SIM cards be hidden inside? They don't have any external slots. They're 5C's, the plastic cased ones.

Pete, you can also look into a generation 1 (2013) Moto X Verizon edition. It has a 4.7 inch screen but really does have a smaller form factor than most phones with that screen size. You can probably pick up a Verizon Developer Edition on Ebay for around $250 no contract.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
Would their SIM cards be hidden inside? They don't have any external slots. They're 5C's, the plastic cased ones.

All iPhones have a sim card slot. On the 3G and 3GS it is on top, the 4, 4S, 5, 5C, 5S is on the side. Don't know where the 6 and 6+ slot is. It's essentially a little door you pop out with a small paper clip and the sim card sits in the tray.

I just bought a refurb iphone 4 from verizon, and I'm pretty happy with the size. I too hate the clownish large phones, they don't fit in my pockets well.

I carry a samsung s4 for work, and that is kind of big also, especially with the extended battery pack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back