NAPA 1459 in the Jeep Grand Cherokee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have plenty lying around. Couldn't help myself. No, it does not hit the frame rail.
wink.gif

New oil is RT6.

The ultra low micron ratings are cool and all, but I'm pretty much over them at this point. We have boats, equipment, and trucks that have 19-24 micron rated filters that have clocked more than 200k miles/4000 hours on original engines, operating without excessive blow or any other weirdness. Hard for me to look at these filters and say they've done a bad job.

I've seen enough engines killed or harmed by oil quality, durability, purity, and delivery issues, but I've never seen an engine go because of good, but not perfect filtering efficiency. Despite living in an environment that leaves everything looking like it was painted in desert camouflage, I've not seen a bad UOA out of these machines, either.

So long as efficiency is reasonable, where the filter is concerned I tend to value flow, durability, and capacity more. If a filter is plugged, collapsed, or burst, it's finished, and maybe the engine along with it. A lower than perfect efficiency rating does not leave me in the same position.

Given the 1459's size, it may cumulatively do a better job, since it will see less time in bypass, when even a 10 micron filter becomes a 10 millimeter filter, anyway.

These filters were designed for engines with high oil pressures and flow rates, to keep the pump and oil doing its job and the filter out of bypass, and stay that way for the longest service interval possible. Given this Jeep's 60 psi @ hot idle, it's likely a match made in heaven.

This Jeep, BTW, is at 205k miles, nothing but various WIX made 19-24 micron filters its entire life, no sludging, no excess blow-by, no funny noises, original engine. All this in a 4x4 that has run through 2 transmissions destroyed during abusive offroading. Of course, she has always received superior oil.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Good to know it fits. How much oil does it hold now?

She took in about 6.5 quarts before dipstick showed in the "safe" zone.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
The ultra low micron ratings are cool and all, but I'm pretty much over them at this point. We have boats, equipment, and trucks that have 19-24 micron rated filters that have clocked more than 200k miles/4000 hours on original engines, operating without excessive blow or any other weirdness. Hard for me to look at these filters and say they've done a bad job.

I've seen enough engines killed or harmed by oil quality, durability, purity, and delivery issues, but I've never seen an engine go because of good, but not perfect filtering efficiency. Despite living in an environment that leaves everything looking like it was painted in desert camouflage, I've not seen a bad UOA out of these machines, either.

So long as efficiency is reasonable, where the filter is concerned I tend to value flow, durability, and capacity more. If a filter is plugged, collapsed, or burst, it's finished, and maybe the engine along with it. A lower than perfect efficiency rating does not leave me in the same position.

Given the 1459's size, it may cumulatively do a better job, since it will see less time in bypass, when even a 10 micron filter becomes a 10 millimeter filter, anyway.

These filters were designed for engines with high oil pressures and flow rates, to keep the pump and oil doing its job and the filter out of bypass, and stay that way for the longest service interval possible. Given this Jeep's 60 psi @ hot idle, it's likely a match made in heaven.

This Jeep, BTW, is at 205k miles, nothing but various WIX made 19-24 micron filters its entire life, no sludging, no excess blow-by, no funny noises, original engine. All this in a 4x4 that has run through 2 transmissions destroyed during abusive offroading. Of course, she has always received superior oil.

+10000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back