Storage with 2-stroke premixed gas

Status
Not open for further replies.
My boat requires pre-mix 2-stroke gas at a 50:1 ratio. I have put it away for the winter, and, like I would do with my motorcycles, I filled the tank completely, including stabilizer and Amsoil HP Marine oil.

I got to thinking, though -- is it possible for the 2-stroke oil to fall out of suspension? Will I not have a proper mix come spring and end up running with too little oil? Should I have waited until the spring to add the oil to the gas so the mix was fresh? I was worried I would forget to add the oil then ...

For what it's worth, the boat will at least be towed a few miles before I start it, so it might help bounce around some of that stuff...

Thanks in advance!

Originally Posted By: Donald
I would not have filled the tank with gas unless it was E0. The gas/oil will not fall out of suspension.

FWIW, E0 is not available everywhere. Nearest station to me that has it is nearly 250 miles away.

As long as you ran the engine after adding the fuel conditioner you should be fine. You are storing in a covered environment to reduce moisture hopefully.

Thanks for the quick replies! I did actually use E0, which Kwik Trip carries around here ("recreational gasoline", they call it). It is nice to have that available! I also used the Sta-bil for ethanol/marine applications.

Also, yes, it is stored in an unheated garage.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Klutch9
I would not have filled the tank with gas unless it was E0. The gas/oil will not fall out of suspension.

FWIW, E0 is not available everywhere. Nearest station to me that has it is nearly 250 miles away.

Yes I know that. But my point was if no E0 was available I would have added stabilizer when it was almost empty and then let it run dry.

Personally and within reason, I'd pour the old 2-cycle mix in the vehicle you drive every day (won't hurt anything) and start anew with a fresh mix in the spring or summer.

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
Personally and within reason, I'd pour the old 2-cycle mix in the vehicle you drive every day (won't hurt anything) and start anew with a fresh mix in the spring or summer.

+1 The oil is nominal in a 1 gallon 50:1 mix when you mix it with a standard sized fuel tank. I usually do this at the end of the season and fill the tank the rest of the way so it mixes with the older pre-mix

I used E-10 for storage when I had a 2 stroke premix outboard (Evinrude 48 SPL) and never had a problem. I used Seafoam to stabilize the gas for the winter. Keep in mind we have a pretty decent boating season in Central VA, and I know Iowa gets a tad bit nippier.

It doesn't seem all that hard to find non-ethanol fuel in most places. One just has to look a bit, very easy to find here.

http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=MI

It doesn't seem that hard from your perspective, but if you live in a non-attainment area like I do (that stupidly stretches into neighboring counties to cut down on people driving a short distance for E0), then it is difficult.

Originally Posted By: Mr_Joe

It doesn't seem all that hard to find non-ethanol fuel in most places. One just has to look a bit, very easy to find here.

http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=MI

Make your own E0 if none around. Buy some premium and give it a dose of water. The alcohol and water separate right out immediately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back