Bizarre situation, MAXLIFE and my Passat

Status
Not open for further replies.
2004 Passat 2.8, 4MO, Auto

After a drain and fill i have the following situation:

Car is normal BUT lets say im a fast food drive up window or stopped at a long light when i take off i have a shift flare from gears 2-3 of about 50-100 RPM. The only time this happens is under those conditions, if the car sits in drive longer than 5 min or so the flare happens, well not the only now that i think of it, it did happen once when the car sat for 15 min park. Also, it DOES NOT happen if using tiptronic mode.

Everything else is normal. Only if im drive sitting for 5-10 min. Trans temp is 75-77c in these situations.

The only thing i have not done was change the filter.

Transmission is filled the right way, using VCDS, i have done this in the past with my A4 and its been running and driving great, im using MaxLife fluid. No errors or codes or anything.

I have been reading endless info about the transmission in this car and im losing my mind. Any one have anything like this? Could it be a clogged filter? Valve body? Tanny pump? Why only after the fluid drain and fill? All i do know its its very annoying. How long can it last? I wanted to get at least the winter before any crazy issues, would love to see 10k miles. But now im scared. The only change is that i did 2 drain and fills with maxlife...

I feel like maxlife is too thin and its some how draining out of the piston on 3rd, i was thinking of dropping the pan and putting a new filter in and filling her up with something else, M1 ATF or Pentosin ATF1

That problem never happens with a manual gearbox. The mistake you made is to buy an auto. Sorry to say but thebest fix is to pull that lump of donkey junk off the back of the motor and replace it with a proper one.
IIRC O2S, O2M & O2Q boxes all fit.

Originally Posted By: Olas
That problem never happens with a manual gearbox. The mistake you made is to buy an auto. Sorry to say but thebest fix is to pull that lump of donkey junk off the back of the motor and replace it with a proper one.
Thanks for the input in this situation. This is not easily done state side. Lets keep this topic on track.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Olas

I find autos to be less problematic than manuals, no clutch or anything to replace just fluid and filter every 5-10 years!

A smooth blip in the shift over time will burn out the clutches and that will the end. It can only get worse. As for any kind of reset things can be done to change coding but its more the kick down and throttle adaptation that can be re calibrated. The tranny in this car was also used in Audi and BMW, its the 5HP19FLA

Interesting. Did you consider changing the ATF and using the exact fluid VW specs? I had great results with it in GM products for three years now. I'd probably swap it out if I were in your shoes.

Interesting. Based on everything you've posted including the confidence the VCDS procedure being done properly, I agree with those saying to go back and try the specific VW spec ATF (and new filter if you choose) to see if that makes a difference.

I'm not much on the ML too thin theory as all the synthetics now and OEM fluids are trending to lower starting viscosity but have much better shear stability than older mineral based ATF's. I've had good results with ML in couple of Asian makes.

That said, trying another VW specific ATF would seem to be the best next step.

I tried valvoline fluids once. Never again. Vibration at idle, weird shifts, slamming gears you name it. Finally drained it out and tried another brand, instant fix.

Your shift solinoids are leaking. You will need to drop the pan and have the solinoid plate cleaned out, new seals installed.

You posted this on Passatworld.com and this answer was proposed already...right?

Why are these bleeding pressure now? well you gave the transmission a flush, and the new fluid has cleaned out old material that was making the seal.

Either live with it, or get it fixed, but changing the fluid or the filter will not help IMHO.

Originally Posted By: KGMtech
Your shift solinoids are leaking. You will need to drop the pan and have the solinoid plate cleaned out, new seals installed.

You posted this on Passatworld.com and this answer was proposed already...right?

Why are these bleeding pressure now? well you gave the transmission a flush, and the new fluid has cleaned out old material that was making the seal.

Either live with it, or get it fixed, but changing the fluid or the filter will not help IMHO.

If that's the case, can you swell/condition the seals?

Lots of interesting info there. It makes it more difficult to blame the fluid, once you know all the facts.

OP have the unit repaired before you have more problems with it.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Lots of interesting info there. It makes it more difficult to blame the fluid, once you know all the facts.

OP have the unit repaired before you have more problems with it.

Agreed. More informed information that would point away from the fluid and toward said trans internal parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back