Running Amsoil 75W90 GL-4 in Trans, Replace?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey All,
I have an 05' Scion xA 5 speed that I purchased 3 and a half years ago with 62k miles on it. I changed the trans oil out at 70k miles with Amsoil 75W-90 and it now has 117k miles on it. Conventional wisdom tells me that I should change the fluid every 50k miles or so, but neither the car owners manual NOR Amsoil manuals tell me to change it at all! Amsoil makes it seem like the fluid is good for life, is this true? I'll spend the 40 bucks and replace it, but only if I have to. The car runs good and shifts great thus far, just trying to keep it alive as long as possible. Any help is appreciated.

Mike

I have essentially the same vehicle and have done about 5 D+F on the gear box. It should be < $30. I'm not sure how much abrasive wear particles are actually suspended in the oil; rather than researching it, I'd rather just change the oil.

I have amsoil you referenced in there now.

Last edited:
Change it every 50k.

Most of my OCD gearboxes get changed every ~3yrs/30k. Fluid is cheap compared to changing diffs, transmissions, xfer cases...

If you are happy with the Amsoil MTG, stick with it.

If you're trying to keep it alive as long as possible, why not spend the 40 bucks?

My Tacoma owner's manual makes no mention of changing my manual trans fluid, either. I changed the factory fill at 15k with Redline MT90 GL-4. Shifting was smoother, and gas mileage was markedly improved.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses guys! As for spending the $40, its not a problem, its putting the car up and changing it (its getting cold out there). Simple Gifts, you have 350k on your motor and trans? I run this car pretty hard (sees redline on a daily basis, I shift it hard when briskly driving through traffic, etc.) I've heard numerous stories of the 1NZ-FE engine with 5 speeds lasting well into the 300k miles, but I never think mine will!

Hey Simple Gifts, one more question for you too: What power steering fluid should I run. I'm still running the stock (as far as I know) fluid and I think its overdue to be changed.

Toyotas typically run Dexron ATF as PSF.
Use any full synth dexron equivalent from the local auto parts store.

Originally Posted By: MLC_LS1
Hey Simple Gifts, one more question for you too: What power steering fluid should I run. I'm still running the stock (as far as I know) fluid and I think its overdue to be changed.

I've been using Redline D4. Not saying you should use it; just sayin' that's what I'm using. I still have my factory PS pump.

Last edited:
I'm currently running Motul Gear 300 in my '05 xB, and will be switching to Redline MT90 when I do my next oil change in Dec. Not that there's anything wrong with the Motul; it's got about 50k on it, and I've really liked MT90 in other cars.

For PSF, I use Maxlife ATF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back