Vibration in 95 Camry

Status
Not open for further replies.
The insanity of vibrations! Looong standing issue we (2 mechanic friends and myself) cannot figure out.

95 Camry 2.2 I4, shakes/vibrates through the steering wheel when in D, 2, 1 and foot on brake. N or P and purs like a kitten. Once you give it gas, smooth as silk. Here is what we've done so far:

EGR cleaned
O2 (upper and lower; there are only 2)
Flex Pipe
Throttle Body Cleaned
Motor Mounts (had to go with Toyota as aftermarket upper mount wasn't fitting; 2 short)
New Cap/wires/plugs (Cap is timed correctly)
PCV changes out yearly so it's not that
Timing belt
acces belts all good

What gives? Could it be something inside the trans? Hard to believe as it really is smooth as if it's a new car once your at 5mph and above; through 90mph. Maybe a vacuum leak of sorts? maybe Idler Air Control? Very frustrated with this one.

It has 120k on it and I don't see any issue to stop it from getting 200k or more. I just got a UOA done with 7200k OCI on ST Synthetic and wear metals and insoluables were excellent....silicon was a bit high.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Just spit-balling:

Cracked transmission flexplate? When you are in P or N, it's lightly loaded, and in R or D highly loaded.

Intake manifold leak? I have seen these get pretty sneaky at idle, and the disappear completely when the engine speed goes up. I'd get a propane torch that was unlit and go around the intake with it and see if the engine tone changes.

Cracked vacuum hoses? As it's an older car, it could have a long-axis crack in a vacuum hose somewhere that is letting air into the intake. I'd have a look at all of these.

Good luck.

check cylinder compression variation?

check transmission flexplate?

what about the steering rack mounting rubber bushings? what's the condition on that?

Q.

I had a similar problem with in my 93 Camry with 175K. Most of the vibration stopped with the replacement of all three motor mounts and tranny mount with OEM mounts. Some cleaning of the intake helped a little however the mounts made a huge difference. I tried aftermarket (Anchor) mounts before changing all of them out again to OEM when the aftermarket mounts failed to get the job done. There is also a fair amount of posts in other forums regarding the vibration/shake the occurs in the 2.2 engine when the miles start to climb.

All the mounts, including the trans was done. It may have been a 2 short flex pipe (some of these Chinese parts are just not up to par). A new flex pipe, correct length (previous one seemed to be too short) is installed. Now it is running without vibrations in D, 2, 1. I did have my idle bumped up and it is sitting on 1100RPMs in Park. Soooo I will drop it to 900RMPs in Park and cross my fingers the vibration remains gone!

Originally Posted By: datech
Does this motor have the balance shafts?

I dont know....Engine is the 2.2 5SFE

I experience the exact same thing in my '95 with 174k miles. I've always chalked it up to original motor mounts as I read on Toyota Nation that this is extremely common in 3rd gen Camry's...and some even modify the mount to utilize 4th gen motor mounts as replacements.
If it's like mine, you can get out while someone else is applying the brake and see that there is nothing visibly vibrating under the hood or underneath. The tach is as steady as can be even while feeling the vibration. Although it might drive some people crazy, I'm used to it and am confident it's bad mounts or "cushioning" of some sort.

Originally Posted By: lukejo
I experience the exact same thing in my '95 with 174k miles. I've always chalked it up to original motor mounts as I read on Toyota Nation that this is extremely common in 3rd gen Camry's...and some even modify the mount to utilize 4th gen motor mounts as replacements.
If it's like mine, you can get out while someone else is applying the brake and see that there is nothing visibly vibrating under the hood or underneath. The tach is as steady as can be even while feeling the vibration. Although it might drive some people crazy, I'm used to it and am confident it's bad mounts or "cushioning" of some sort.

Yes indeed! Same exact vibrations. I changed my motor mounts, all 4 of them. Still the same. I had to change 2 of the mounts again as the Chinese stuff didn't fit right. OE mounts for me! 2morrow I am changing the last thing I (or my buddies can think of) idler air control unit.

Idler air control swapped out. Pricey little bugger! BUT it sure does seem to have been the issue. This vibration cost me some coin!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back