New Ford F150 - Plastic Oil Pan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just read in Autoweek that the new Ford F150 has plastic oil pan. Don't know if I can get behind that. I'm sure it's extremely advanced technologically, however, there's the long term durability thing. Not to mention, if I'm taking that rig off road I might not want a rock to hit that plastic thang!

Last edited:
There is plastic.. then there is PLASTIC.

basically they engineered a fully molded pan that incorporates design features you couldn't get in a thin stamped steel pan.

this engine IIRC

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CapitalTruck
Just read in Autoweek that the new Ford F150 has plastic oil pan. Don't know if I can get behind that.

Commercial trucks have had this for years as wells as Ford on their diesel trucks.

Just changed an oil pan on a Detroit 14L with a 1.3m miles two weeks ago. Cause of death? Rock that cracked it in the field.

Took the pan out as well as it took the oil cooler of the trans out and they ran it dry. Only leaked a small puddle overnight from the engine. THe Detroit is still going like a champ. The 13 speed trans however not so much.

Nothing to worry about. Back to oil OCD

Last edited:
I'd rather have a plastic oil pan than the POS stamped metal pan my Aerostar had that rotted through. If I planned on taking it off road I'd get skid plates or make one.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I'd rather have a plastic oil pan than the POS stamped metal pan my Aerostar had that rotted through. If I planned on taking it off road I'd get skid plates or make one.

There hasn't been a commercial engine in the last 5 years with a metal pan. They are more than proven.

I'm a little weirded out by plastic fuel tanks.... but I'd agree done right plastic is a better material for weight, corrosion and can be just as durable.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
I'm a little weirded out by plastic fuel tanks.... but I'd agree done right plastic is a better material for weight, corrosion and can be just as durable.

What?

Nth at tech has been out for at least 15 years.

Originally Posted By: Brent_G
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

There hasn't been a commercial engine in the last 5 years with a metal pan. They are more than proven.

I know, no complaints from me about the plastic pans.

Originally Posted By: Rand
There is plastic.. then there is PLASTIC.

basically they engineered a fully molded pan that incorporates design features you couldn't get in a thin stamped steel pan.

this engine IIRC

Yep...it is the same as when they came out with plastic intakes...everyone said what the--

Remember the Ford 2300 with Zytel engine? Experimental,but advanced for the 1970s anyway.

Glocks are plastic too. Stop being afraid of change, it's unbecoming of our species. You don't think Ford did off road testing? Look on a job site where men are really using them for something other than a toy to be washed and waxed. If there is a problem, it will be discovered quickly.

I'd be more worried what it will cost to repair dents in the body.

With the advancements in plastics I would not be concerned with a plastic oil pan. Chances are good that in normal use it will work as well as the old stamped steel design.

I agree; an engineered polymer should stand up to service duty at least as well as a stamped steel or cast aluminum pan. Polymer intake manifolds; polymer cylinder head covers, polymer fuel tanks. They all work, and they work well.

I have no issue with the use of proper plastics.

However, anybody with plastic radiators here in South Florida knows they last 10 years and not one minute more (just a joke) they do seem to have a finite life span, however.

I'm curious about what kind of drain plug it will have. Surely it doesn't thread right into plastic. Maybe there's a metal bushing molded into the pan that the plug threads into? Or maybe it's not a conventional drain bolt, perhaps instead it's some kind of Fumoto style valve. It would be nice if it's a design where it would be impossible to over-torque or cross-thread it.

Originally Posted By: bepperb

I'm more than cool with plastic tanks and wish more makers used nylon fuel line. As a replacement cost it's neck and neck with steel. I suppose steel tanks can have more weird shapes stamped into them to increase capacity in weird locations.

I think at the assembly line they run the fore-and-aft brake and fuel/return/evap lines as one "octopus" and it saves time for fuel to be steel.

I strongly prefer plastic fuel tanks, mostly because they will never rust! The metal gas tank on my Bronco is rusted and leaking right now. I'm going to replace it with a new PLASTIC tank and never worry about leaks again.

Come to think of it, the oil pan on my Bronco also has heavy surface rust. A plastic oil pan would solve that problem nicely too.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
I'm curious about what kind of drain plug it will have. Surely it doesn't thread right into plastic. Maybe there's a metal bushing molded into the pan that the plug threads into?

Do you know how it's done with cartridge oil filter housings (I don't, and that's why I ask). I think most of them use a polymer housing with a metal drain bolt at the bottom.

I like the idea of using a "plug" with the inverted square drive, like many transmission or axle drain plugs. Nobody seems to use that style on engine oil sumps...at least not that I've seen.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Remember the Ford 2300 with Zytel engine? Experimental,but advanced for the 1970s anyway.

Dupont still makes that stuff here in Richmond, VA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back