White Car Care Q

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: Chris B.
[
NuFinish is not abrasive at all. My 1997 Sierra has been "waxed" nearly 40 times in almost 20 years using NuFinish. The paint is like new and shows no signs of being worn down. If NuFinish was "unnecessarily abrasive" my paint would be gone. Stop spreading interweb bull [censored] rumors and myths.

How do these pictures prove anything?

I can wax a finish 40 times using a heavy cut AIO (such as Meguiars D151) and a finishing foam pad and the paint may be just fine. Even paints that get worn down by lots of polishing will still look fine. You really need to get a paint depth gauge and measure the paint thickness now and compare it to when it was new.....in order to get a comparison.

If NuFinish was excessively abrasive the clear coat would be gone after that many applications over time just like it gets buffed off by someone using a buffer to aggressively. No clear coat, no shine. NuFinish dose not damage paint what so ever...period!

If NuFinish was excessively abrasive the clear coat would be gone after that many applications over time just like it gets buffed off by someone using a buffer to aggressively. No clear coat, no shine. NuFinish dose not damage paint what so ever...period!

What no one has posted, is the abrasive level of NuFinish. It could very well be a light cleaner wax, and in which case, I'm sure 40+ applications will be just fine. The amount of clear removed will also vary by the method in which it was applied; applying via rotary/finishing wool is much different than by hand using a foam applicator.

Nevertheless, I have no idea how abrasive Nufinish is......but I think your thought process behind this whole thing is a bit flawed.

What no one has posted, is the abrasive level of NuFinish. It could very well be a light cleaner wax, and in which case, I'm sure 40+ applications will be just fine. The amount of clear removed will also vary by the method in which it was applied; applying via rotary/finishing wool is much different than by hand using a foam applicator.

Nevertheless, I have no idea how abrasive Nufinish is......but I think your thought process behind this whole thing is a bit flawed.

Maybe. But how many people have vehicles that are close to 20 years old and detailed on a regular basis with the same product? Very few! So even if Nufinish was abrasive, almost all the people using it would never come close to using it enough to notice any damage from using it so it is a non issue. To even bring it up is asinine. I have used it on dozens of vehicles over the past 25 years with no problems at all. To say it is abrasive and causes paint wear is doing a disservice to our community because it is simply false and unfounded.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
Wow...what a beautiful ride!

Thank you! Takes a lot of work keeping her perfect at her age but worth it. Here are some other shots:

[
NuFinish is not abrasive at all. My 1997 Sierra has been "waxed" nearly 40 times in almost 20 years using NuFinish. The paint is like new and shows no signs of being worn down. If NuFinish was "unnecessarily abrasive" my paint would be gone. Stop spreading interweb bull [censored] rumors and myths.

How do these pictures prove anything?

I can wax a finish 40 times using a heavy cut AIO (such as Meguiars D151) and a finishing foam pad and the paint may be just fine. Even paints that get worn down by lots of polishing will still look fine. You really need to get a paint depth gauge and measure the paint thickness now and compare it to when it was new.....in order to get a comparison.

Looks good enough for a 20 year old truck.

Nice truck BTW.

I just bought some NuFinish and I'm going to try it on my work truck, I just want to keep the paint decently shiny until I sell or junk it at some point in the future.

Last edited:
Update:
I've been giving the interior a good scrub, followed by a good rub. It had been awhile & too long. It's amazing how much dirt can come off of a surface that your body contacts, especially here where we only have two seasons: Summer and January and therfore, sweat a lot.

I was prepared to re-apply Duragloss as it's now been about 12 months, but I was pleasantly surprised to discover DG was still beading up water during my initial rinse, and very soft water at that (I'd just recharged a few days ago..). I wasn't finely misting it on either, I was using a strong stream.

After removing the bulk of the rinse water, I sprayed on some DG AquaWax, spread it out with my bare hand, then wiped dry with a very, very soft 100% cotton rag.

I went around the sled doing the vertical surfaces as well, so all is covered. Finished up too dark to evaluate so tomorrow will tell.

Though a white wagon is a floor-freezer on wheels, I'm very satisfied with DG and appreciate it continuing to bead up.

Update on DG Aqua Wax:

OK so I've used this product enough since my last update and really like it. Instead of spraying it on a wet car though, I blow-dry the car first, then lightly spray, then spread it evenly and thinly using a hand, THEN wipe off and buff.

It leaves a very, very rich shine, seems to work well with the earlier application of DG mentioned earlier, and just beads up like crazy in rain. There is a welcome, noticeable shine to the otherwise boring plain white Volvo paint.

I recently tried it on a neighbors black Toyota, about 4-5yrs old. His paint felt "rough". He'd never used clay before, so I showed him how. Then applied AquaWax to one section as above, and buffed it out. Even with NO wax/sealant/etc. underneath it, the MF cloth just easily slipped across the surface. On the untreated, clayed surface, it just grabbed even though paint & cloth were dry. It was an amazing difference.

Go AquaWax & DG! So glad I sought DG out. No more staining of black trim, its still beading up with a high angle between the clear coat and the water bead..like the water is "standing" up. Most impressive! The Sled is still looking good, even for a white car. Go DG!

Yes, AW is very good. Like the scent and it's so easy to use. I like having it on hand all the time. Years ago after placing an order with DG I asked them if they could send me a sample. Since then I've been hooked ever since. Plus the sample was a full size bottle. Their car wash soap is very good. I didn't like their Leather/vinyl protectant since it smells like cheap men's cologne. I wanted to like it but pew ewww!

Surf City Dash Away is a very good interior detailer that some protectant in it. Plus a nice mild scent avail at WM for $9 or so.

Never used Surf City before, but I'll have a look.

Just washed the sled yesterday for the first time this year...maybe since Thanksgiving?? Can't remember. I'm using Griot's wash now as I finally ran out of Zymol...finally.

The DG is still beading like crazy. I squeeged off most of the water, then applied AquaWax all over, using my bare hand to spread it. Buffed up really nice and slick!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back