Cable or satellite?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a [censored] match today with my cable provider. My bill went up this month to $145 and change from $123 something. I called and threatened to cancel and the wouldn't budge on the price, so I called Fios and spoke to them. Fios Internet and phone is available in my area but tv would have to be provided through DirectTV. Total bill would be $118 on one bill for both services. I like my cable company I've had them since i was a kid but is it really worth that much more. I also have concerns about satellite television during storms they say ther 99% reliable to cable being 92% but in 25 years of cable I've only lost tv when the power goes out. It's never been an issue ever. With DirectTV if I should want to cancel they will charge me $20 a month for the remainder of the two years I have to sign up for. At least with cable there's no cancelation fee. In my area we have optimum for cable. Any input and experience would help. Thank you

Last edited:
Neither. I cut the cord years ago. I have internet which I have voip phone service running on. There is not a show,movie,game that I can't get.

I have DirectTV and feel they provide great service. You will have to price out a package to see the cost. I do not have issues with snow storms. But I do not watch more than 1 hr a day. I record almost everything I watch in their DVR box.

You can watch a lot of their content via PC, smartphone, tablet.

Eliminate cable and satellite. Internet is all you need.
laugh.gif

I dropped down to the $15 Internet plan a few months ago. Should have done it sooner. I'm not missing anything.

However, I'm now addicted to Dragnet, Columbo, The Rockford Files, Adam-12, Emergency! and MacGyver.

I watch TV more now that I don't have cable than when I did have cable.

The biggest thing with satellite TV (Direct or Dish) is having a good install. That means you have a clear line-of-site to the south and a good installer. I had Dish for years in NY (queens) and only had 1 or 2 short outages every year - usually during really bad rain/snow storms.

Direct and Dish charge the early termination fee because they don't make money on you as a subscriber until 12-24 months into your service. The breakeven point is dependent on if you autopay, ebill, had a good install, or bad install which means more truck roll$$, more call center call$$, etc.

I would price out the fios/direct package and also look at fios and dish separately. I'm partial to dish because I like their boxes better, but that's just my opinion.

I plan to drop land line and cable as soon as I can and run everything off of internet connection form FIOS. I can get local network HD tv via antenna for free.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
The Rockford Files

Excellent show. My dad bought my brother and I the first few packs on DVD. 1-2 then 3-4 IIRC. I cant remember how many times I have re watched them.

Go to tvfool.com and see what is available over the air with an antenna. I'm in SE PA and get 56 channel with a $45 antennan in the attic. Get crystal clear reception. Actually better than what I was getting over cable. I'm about 22 miles from the Philadelphia transmitters. I cut the cord 8 months ago and save about $100 a month. I have internet only from Comcast and use ROKU for other content and Oooma for a home phone.

I was jerked around by Verizon Fios before my contract expired. What I did find was that Verizon will offer you really good deals if you let your contract expire. I got a few offers in the mail that were better than my old contract. Also, you don't have to wait more than a couple of days to sign up for a new customer deal after you're old contract expires.

They couldn't tempt me to come back. Don't miss the cable TV at all.

Originally Posted By: walk23
Cable for internet and satellite for TV.

That's what I do, love it.

I have Directv, I really like them but it does occasionally drop signal during a storm or randomly. Maybe once a week or two, but it lasts for maybe 30 seconds-1 minute.

I started with DirecTV and really like it. I had issues with the cable company with everything from leasing fees, to unprogrammable channel lists, to picture quality.
I have stuck with Direct because of the sports packages - especially baseball, however that may be cut soon as everything can be watched by internet now.

Just like everyone else, that's probably an introductory price. It's hard to get Direct to come down on price for existing customers. At least find out what the rate will be later.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Eliminate cable and satellite. Internet is all you need.
laugh.gif

thumbsup2.gif

Cable doesn't exist where we live, so satellite is the only option for TV other than the local over-the-air channels. We don't have a home phone or Internet either. 99% of our Internet usage is done via smartphone. For the few occasions we actually need to use the computer, I just do it via tethering on my phone.

DirectTV has good service, technically, but I never once got a bill for what they quoted me. Always slipping in a fee here, for stuff I never ordered.

I got fed up and cancelled them. Even that was an ordeal.

Haven't had cable/satellite in 4 years. Quitting those guys was almost as satisfying as quitting smoking.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: edwardh1
who owns the direct tv equipment you or direct tv,?
is it rented? like a cable box do they give u a new one free or do u have to buy it when it breaks??

I have had Directv or Dish network since 1998. The issue of rain fade is hyped by their cable competition. As stated if you have a good install bad weather is almost never an issue. Back in the day cable outages were as common in my area as the rising of the sun. I would never do cable in my area.

Direct & Dish both own the equipment.You can opt for a protection plan that covers the equipment, but honestly it seems like a money making scheme to me. I have had fewer issues with Directv equipment than Dish equipment. If they want to charge you and you are out of contract (or near the end) they will often deal to keep you from switching to another provider.

I have switched between the two and used competition to my advantage to try to keep the prie under control.

Oh by the way, I know many complain about directv and dish customer service, but honestly I've never had an issue with either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back