Firearms rust prevention

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just read this article where the writer found Breakfree CLP and Eezox (which I had never heard of before) to be best at rust prevention.

So what have you guys had good luck with for firearms rust prevention?

I like CLP. I also like WD40. I used to wipe my shotgun down with it before duckhunting in brackish water, it worked very well. Also, my patrol shotgun sat in my trunk 24/7 in Louisiana....very humid. WD40 wipedowns every two weeks and she was GTG (REM 870). If you can get it military LSA lube works very well. I used to wipe down a blued SIG 220 with it every few days. That SiG liked to rust, and the LSA put that issue to bed. My favorite rust prevention is a stainless steel weapon, or a GLOCK. They really got that one right the first time, and my SR9C has yet to rust despite staying in my glove box for months.

I use black powder gun lube, Wonder Lube/Bore Butter have kept all my guns rust free for many many years. I'm willing to bet that Frog Lube is the same stuff dyed green and cost more....

On highly polished finishes such as nickel, blued, etc....I have found a wax works best such as Flitz or Rennaissance Wax. Keep your skin oils from attacking the metal especially well.

Otherwise I have had decent luck with CLP, Rem Oil, and Ballistol. Ballistol can get a bit gummy though over time. I hear plain old mineral oil you get at the drug store works pretty well for storage too.

The aerosol break free is worthless in my opinion. If you can try to avoid them.

I wipe mine down with 3 in 1 when I'm done using it. And if I'm storing it for awhile I wipe it down dry really well and apply a very minimum amount of car wax to it then store it in the case.

Don't get me wrong this isn't the correct way but firearms are not that picky when it comes to oil.

None if my guns really have any value beyond emotional. My Glennfield Blur I got as a child and the New England shotgun (Pardner) I bought my son when he turned 14.

If I had anything of considerable value I would probably take a lot more care of it.

In testing that I have seen CorrosionX and Breakfree are good for preventing corrosion. I would stay away from Eezox. There is supposed to be a known carcinogen in it.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Have you read this end all be all test?

http://www.dayattherange.com/?page_id=3667

That guy went hog wild with corrosion testing ... awesome!
thumbsup2.gif

From the test results it looks like you'd want to use separate products for cleaning, lubrication, and rust prevention. No surprise there, I guess.

I find it hard to believe Boeshield T9 failed that quick- I wonder if he allowed it to cure as directed first. Especially since its VERY tacky after curing and doesn't provide a low friction lube.

Yup. T9 and Eezox are usually near the top of the list as far as rust prevention is concerned. T9 gets used on my cast iron table saw deck. The South TX humidity is murder on that.

Originally Posted By: Doog
G96 is my favorite

Ditto. Been using it for 20 years exclusively as final internal/external
wipedown as well as minor cleaning. Evaporates and leaves protective ooating. Smells great too!

Originally Posted By: redbone3
I love the smell of "Hoppes No. 9" in the morning!!!

Second only to napalm. But I quit using that as lube after putting it on my cast iron and then a traumatic kitchen experience the next day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back