Cars.com $27K mid-size sedan comparo. Camry Last.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
Although a Sonata owner, i know these things are very magazine subjective. Motor Trend will have one, Car & Driver another winner and so on....

Thanks for sharing.

Great time to be buying a midsize, as there isn't a car in that entire group that I wouldn't consider to be excellent.

Yes, you'd really have to test drive all the vehicles in this category as there isn't a DUD in the bunch. IDK if there were any vehicles left out of the test(KIA Optima)??? Being redesigned???

There is almost no reason to choose the best sellers over the rest of the pack. Even reliability is becoming very close these days. All are really good cars and almost(ALMOST) not worth looking to the mid-sized luxury cars in this[SIZE] category! Save 10 grand
smile.gif

I agree with the other's, not a bad one in the bunch and you really need to drive them all (at least the one's you like looking at) to select the one that caters to what's important to you best.

Reliability and resale not a factor in a midsize sedan... um... ok.

Seriously 10% of this test was a category "child seats" where somehow the Malibu gets a 9 and a Chrysler 200 gets a 6. What does that even mean?

I don't dispute that the Sonata might be better than a Camry. But this is the sort of work I'd expect from a high school student. Leave out categories that are difficult to measure, make arbitrary categories to support your conclusion.

Seriously, worth the money Chrysler gets a 4.7? What does that mean? They scored 2nd place in interior quality and tech features, but somehow not " worth the money ".

Might as well have made a "your mom likes this car" and a "sound of door chime" category.

Having just purchased a 2014 Honda Accord Sport, I would say that the Sport is a much better driving vehicle, with better seats and better tires (i.e., quieter in the cabin).... but I agree with the sentiment of there are no duds in this group. I just got an awesome deal this particular model so I jumped on it.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
Reliability and resale not a factor in a midsize sedan... um... ok.

Seriously 10% of this test was a category "child seats" where somehow the Malibu gets a 9 and a Chrysler 200 gets a 6. What does that even mean?

I don't dispute that the Sonata might be better than a Camry. But this is the sort of work I'd expect from a high school student. Leave out categories that are difficult to measure, make arbitrary categories to support your conclusion.

Seriously, worth the money Chrysler gets a 4.7? What does that mean? They scored 2nd place in interior quality and tech features, but somehow not " worth the money ".

Might as well have made a "your mom likes this car" and a "sound of door chime" category.

You need to click on the pictures to show how they graded child seats. I agree with their conclusion. For my wife and I, that's something we looked at when looking at the Chrysler 200. It's a nice car, but we were wary because our Dodge Dart was a lemon. The ZF 9HP still has some kinks it needs worked out and hasn't been out in the real world for long.

As for the value for money, I agree with their rating. Chrysler's non SUV and truck products are still depreciating bricks. It takes more than just tech and quality interior to sell a car.

Last edited:
I only drove the 2014.5 Camry, not the 2015.... but the Accord's seats are firm but supportive, similar to my Jeep Grand Cherokee. They are soft and springy when going over bumps. I find Toyota seats to be kinda lifeless and supportless.

Originally Posted By: lizpat
I don't agree with the low place of the Accord though.. I like the Accord a lot.

I don't either but to a certain extent, I get it. The Hyundai is very very good. Yes, it's gone bland, but it's still a good vehicle.

If I could have my way... it would be a Honda Accord Sport, with the Hyundai infotainment system.

Toyota Camry is still stuck in 2006, which is not surprising to see them in last while other models see fast improvement and upgrades (Ford Fusion). Just my observation though. Never driven a car, never will be.

The Legacy is the only car on the list with standard AWD, a great feature for the snowbelt. Amazing that the mileage penalty is only 1.6 mpg.

It's too bad they did not somehow include reliability, resale value, reputation and quality of dealer service. It appears that these judges voted with a keyboard and got just about the reverse results from those that vote with they checking accounts.

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
we had a 94 camry and loved it big soft seats. the hondas we drove had hard hard seats, and xmissions that shifted hard.

20 years ago. Vanilla Ice called...He wants his 5.0 back.
smile.gif

It is hard to buy a bad car these days. In this price range competition is tight. It might just come down to who gives you the best deal and how you are treated when you are buying it.

I rent this family of cars regularly. I disagree wholeheartedly with the stated results. Period.

Once these cars get a few miles on them, in typical rental use, the true quality really shows. The Sonata is a car I try to avoid, and there is NO WAY, I'd rank it at the top.

The Fusion is a nice car, but it too shows it's shortcomings after a few miles. And clearly falls short of Accord/Camry feel at 30-40K miles. In fact the Accord Sport is, in many ways, light years ahead of the others. It's that good.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cujet
I rent this family of cars regularly. I disagree wholeheartedly with the stated results. Period.

Once these cars get a few miles on them, in typical rental use, the true quality really shows. The Sonata is a car I try to avoid, and there is NO WAY, I'd rank it at the top.

The Fusion is a nice car, but it too shows it's shortcomings after a few miles. And clearly falls short of Accord/Camry feel at 30-40K miles. In fact the Accord Sport is, in many ways, light years ahead of the others. It's that good.

I concur with a caveat... rental cars are driven by many people, racking up many miles at a rapid pace. I would say that its similar to putting an ice cream cone in the sun... it's going to melt fast. Vehicle ownership by a person/family is more like an ice cream cone in the fridge. The end result is the same, but slower progression because they at least own said vehicle.

This kind of car you try what you like to drive, look at, and how you feel. The Subaru Legacy is an oddball as its a decent car but if you don't need AWD why buy that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back